Satan,Your Kingdom Must Come Down

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Larry said, you will find it on one of the greatest albums ever recorded. The 16th anniversary of this excellent collection of covers and originals was a couple of weeks ago. You are very lucky because by listening to March 16-20, 1992 you will also be introducing yourself to Jay Farrar, another songwriting genius. I envy you!

Yes1 Collect them all! Then give the Son Volt/Jay Farrar/Gob Iron albums a try. Starting with Trace, Straightaways, Wide Swing Tremolo and Sebastopol.

Ahhhh...Jay Farrar in pre-"Wide Sing Tremolo" days...I finally dug some of that stuff out again the other day and it reminded me of just how little I listen to him now. :ohwell

And yes, get March 16-20. Outstanding contributions from both Jay and Jeff.

I can fully understand someone not digging the 2 most recent Son Volt albums or maybe some songs on Farrar solo albums but all of the first 3 Son Volt albums, with Mike Heidorn and the Boquists, are stellar from beginning to end. :dontgetit

I can fully understand someone not digging the 2 most recent Son Volt albums or maybe some songs on Farrar solo albums but all of the first 3 Son Volt albums, with Mike Heidorn and the Boquists, are stellar from beginning to end. :dontgetit

I thought Heidorn dropped out after Straightaways.

I did not care for "The Search" at all. I haven't checked out Gob Iron yet. Is it any good?

" 'jcroach'

I did not care for "The Search" at all. I haven't checked out Gob Iron yet. Is it any good?"

I agree. Okemah and the Melody of Riot and The Search are hit and miss for me. Gob Iron is a good album. Jay and Anders Parker play all of the instruments. It is mostly reinterpretations of public domain tunes and is worth hearing. It may or may not hold up to repeated listenings depending on the listener...

"caliber66

I thought Heidorn dropped out after Straightaways"

No. He and the Boquists were there on the SV cover of 'Open All Night' from the 'Nebraska' tribute album in 2000. The 3 of them and Farrar couldn't work out the business end when Farrar wanted to get SV out of hiatus and record Okemah... in 2004. :ohwell

Yeah Trace and Straightaways are in the "Jay stuff worth listening to" group for me. I was saying anything Wide Swing and onwards is spotty at best. I do dig a fair portion of WST, just not much in comparison to it's two predecessors.

That said, "The Search" was a decent effort but I always feel (since Straighaways) that his albums are just a feeeew songs too long.

That said, "The Search" was a decent effort but I always feel (since Straighaways) that his albums are just a feeeew songs too long.

I would think even his most die-hard fans would agree with this. I like his solo albums and Search quite a bit. That said, I would easily take out 10% or more. The guy needs an editor to make a good album into a great album.

I would think even his most die-hard fans would agree with this. I like his solo albums and Search quite a bit. That said, I would easily take out 10% or more. The guy needs an editor to make a good album into a great album.

an editor? that's like saying Shakespeare should have trimmed some of Hamlet and Macbeth, because they were too wordy

i wouldn't change a damn thing on any of Jay's records, solo or son volt

this is some of the most brilliant, inventive, compelling, cliche-free music i've ever heard

then again, if ya dig 90 percent of a record, that's a pretty damn good percentage

as for Uncle Tupelo, I would start with Still Feel Gone. tremendous