Downloading Music Without Paying  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download music without paying on a regular or semi regular basis?

• YES
    • NO

This is simple enough. You don't have to say (post) whether or not you download music without paying for it, but I set up this poll just to get a feel for how many people out there download music without paying for it on a regular basis.

Feel free to comment on why you do or why you don't, but you don't have to. I won't judge you and I hope no one else will here either. I just think downloading music without paying is becoming the main way young people get and discover music.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this includes live shows I think just about everyone here does, despite the results. My not paying for downloads deals mainly with having no money, and my mother would question why I was giving money to something called, 'owl and bear' then I would have a long uncomfortable conversation with her about it.

If this includes live shows I think just about everyone here does, despite the results. My not paying for downloads deals mainly with having no money, and my mother would question why I was giving money to something called, 'owl and bear' then I would have a long uncomfortable conversation with her about it.

The Wilco Live Show Archive is not illegal - Wilco is ok with people taping and sharing live shows.

Why we are it - someone should teach all those people who constantly ask for commercially available Wilco tracks how to do Bit Torrent and/or Mp3 blog searching - so they can steal the songs themselves.

Feel free to comment on why you do or why you don't, but you don't have to. I won't judge you and I hope no one else will here either. I just think downloading music without paying is becoming the main way young people get and discover music.

I don't download because I don't like to listen to music on computers and I don't know how to get it from my computer to my stereo (I assume that is possible). Even if I did, I don't know where to find downloadable music. I don't like fiddling with computer gadgets. I can barely use a cell phone, so I wouldn't have the first idea of how to use an ipod.

Fortunately, I spent my high school and college years buying loads of records. Mostly used. So many that 90% of my music collection is still pretty fresh to my ears.

I get a lot of good stuff from the library. Sometimes I burn myself a copy. That's the closest I get to "stealing" music.

Why we are it - someone should teach all those people who constantly ask for commercially available Wilco tracks how to do Bit Torrent and/or Mp3 blog searching - so they can steal the songs themselves.

Yeah, that kind of gets to me at times. It's quite easy to use google, put the name of the song/album you want in quotes, click on google blog search, if you're in a hurry type the word rapidshare or megaupload along with it, viola! There's really no need for any commercial link to ever be posted here, because they're already somewhere else if people would just look for it.

Personally, I do download quite a bit of music illegally, and movies as well, but everything I like I try to buy because I prefer the higher quality of CD's and vinyl. However, there's just so much out there that I want to hear and I only have a limited amount of resources so if it's a case of not buying and not hearing it or not buying it, but hearing it. I always try to go with the later.

--Mike

Yeah, that kind of gets to me at times. It's quite easy to use google, put the name of the song/album you want in quotes, click on google blog search, if you're in a hurry type the word rapidshare or megaupload along with it, viola! There's really no need for any commercial link to ever be posted here, because they're already somewhere else if people would just look for it.

Personally, I do download quite a bit of music illegally, and movies as well, but everything I like I try to buy because I prefer the higher quality of CD's and vinyl. However, there's just so much out there that I want to hear and I only have a limited amount of resources so if it's a case of not buying and not hearing it or not buying it, but hearing it. I always try to go with the later.

--Mike

I was looking at another board the other day - and I saw a thread were a bunch of people got banned for posting links to songs.

--Mike

Yes.

If I get hold of a leaked album and like it I'll sometimes purchase it but more often than not I won't, even if I like it. It just seems like a waste of money in these all-music-access times of technology. I get a good deal of my non-live music from the local library, too. I don't see much difference between burning a library disc and downloading a leak.

Sometimes I'll buy a cd without hearing any tune from it first, too (the Meat Puppets one from last year). I've listened to it maybe three times.

I sometimes snag stuff - mainly new stuff such as the new REM album - that way I don't blow money on something I won't listen to again. I buy cds though - there was a time I use to buy a cd almost everyday - but I have not done that for a long time now. I like to go to record stores and look around - and those days are pretty much gone - where I live anyhow. I'd say within the next 10 years or less, cds will go the way of the record album.

If this only includes illegal downloads then not really. If there is a new album from a band I already like I will go buy it, or rip it from someone I know who has it, same for older stuff.

As for cds going away unless there is something new that comes out other than mp3 I cannot see many people moving to all digital music. As many people here let others know mp3's quality is terrible when compared to just about everything other than 8track.

I was looking at another board the other day - and I saw a thread were a bunch of people got banned for posting links to songs.

--Mike

Yeah, you have to figure with the RIAA essentially making it their mission to try to stop people from downloading (which at this point is as hopeless as Max Yasgur waking up on day two at Woodstock and yelling "hey you kids get out of my yard"), webboards would be a popular target for them. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which side you're on there's only so much they can stop. If they focus on Peer-to-peer and bit torrenting, album share blogs will flourish, if they focus on album share blogs, people will figure out a way to keep bit torrenting. I would hate to be a current employee of a major label right now.

--Mike

If this only includes illegal downloads then not really. If there is a new album from a band I already like I will go buy it, or rip it from someone I know who has it, same for older stuff.

As for cds going away unless there is something new that comes out other than mp3 I cannot see many people moving to all digital music. As many people here let others know mp3's quality is terrible when compared to just about everything other than 8track.

Most people I know - only listen to whatever the current hit of the week is - and I doubt they ever think about the quailty of the Mp3 they got via Walmart or iTunes.

I once tried to explain to someone I know the difference bewteen WAV/FLAC/Mp3 files and what the deal was with Mp3 bit rates - and they looked at me like I was making the shit up.

I once tried to explain to someone I know the difference bewteen WAV/FLAC/Mp3 files and what the deal was with Mp3 bit rates - and they looked at me like I was making the shit up.

Is this anything like trying to capture the sound of "thick air" in the studio?

heh.....that Bobby.....what a space cadet.

I bought the 'new' Meat Puppets without hearing it first sometime late last year................snore.......I listened to it exactly once.

Btw, I've never downloaded ANY music at all.

This poll sez: nine people are very, very good liars.

Yeah, actually, most people can't differentiate between a 128 kp/s MP3 and a 256. I remain convinced that this is just a fucking bullshit strawman argument dredged up by audiophiles with nothing better to do with their time.

I can always count on you. :thumbup

I sound like an old fuddy duddy here, but I still like to trade via snail mail. Live shows anyway - I rarely listen to studio stuff anymore (except jazz). I've made more good friends over the last 25 years that way than I can count.

My youngest is a d/l freak though. Mostly bands no one has ever heard of. :lol