German literature, film, etc.

I like Gustav Klimt's paintings.

We watched a couple Wim Wenders movies in my college German classes. Der Amerikanischer Freund was one. It has Dennis Hopper in it, and is half in English, half in German. That's about all I remember.

I enjoyed reading the plays of Georg Buechner and the poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke also.

Thomas Mann is maybe the best German writer. And then there's Rammstein.

Here's a few German Films that are worth checking out:

Rainer Werner Fassbinder - Ali: Fear Eats the Soul / Berlin Alexanderplatz / Fox and His Friends / The Marriage of Maria Braun / The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant...

Werner Herzog - Stroszek / Aguirre, the Wrath of God / Fitzcarraldo...

Fritz Lang - M, Metropolis

Volker Schl

I'm looking for German literature (classic or contemporary), film, art, photography, music, or anything else artsty.

Does anyone have any good names or titles I should see/read/hear?

I'm studying Weimar Cinema (1919-1934) as we speak! It's awesome, the following rule:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Nosferatu

Dr. Mabuse the Gambler

The Golem and How He Came into this World

M

Metropolis

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

There are more, but this is a pretty good start.

Germany has lots of great film.

I'm looking for German literature (classic or contemporary), film, art, photography, music, or anything else artsty.

Does anyone have any good names or titles I should see/read/hear?

I'm guessing this is similar to your Africa project from a few years ago? If so, I'll try to list some recent films that might work. Several have co-origins, but all are largely German:

Requiem / Schmid / 2006

The Lives of Others / von Donnersmarck / 2006

Our Daily Bread / Geyrhalter / 2005

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days / Rothemund / 2005

Workingman's Death / Glawogger / 2005

Fateless / Koltai / 2005

Downfall / Hirschbiegel / 2004

Before the Fall (Napola) / Gansel / 2004

The Edukators / Weingartner / 2004

Good Bye, Lenin! / Becker / 2003

Schultze Gets the Blues / Schorr / 2003

Shattered Glass / Kraus / 2002

The Tunnel / Richter / 2001

In July / Akin / 2000

Only a couple are masterpieces, but all of them are worth seeing. I'm also a huge fan of Fatih Akin's Head-On, although that one is really about Turkish roots.

Is it inappropriate to suggest Leni Riefenstahl?

An interesting case. A woman of obvious talents, which she used for the worst cause ever. Some contrition on her part would have helped her some. Wagner, too, is complicated - one of the leading anti-Semites of his time, the only reason he wasn't a Nazi is that the Nazis hadn't been invented yet.

So, it's hard. One is tempted to let the talented of the hook for these things, but can one really overlook such darkness?

Thank you thank you everyone! Great titles and names here.

I'd forgotten about Metropolis--great film, and the special effects are surprisingly impressive for 1920-something.

I'm guessing this is similar to your Africa project from a few years ago?

Indeed it is! Every year we do a different region/country for students and the community. We did Russia & the Commonwealth of Independent States this year--one of the most interesting places we've done over the past...how many? years of this project, I think.

Of all my resources for artsy stuff, VC consistently gives me the best suggestions! Last year someone here recommended the movie Prisoner of the Mountains, which I highly recommend if anyone is looking for a film that shows absurdities of war. Platoon, Apocolypse Now and all those films are too much guys-in-camoflague to mean much to me, even though I get their points--but Prisoner really reached me on an emotional and intellectual level.