5 Favorite Albums by Guided By Voices

Alien Lanes

Bee Thousand

Under The Bushes...

Propeller

Mag, Earwhig

not sure i'd brag about never hearing two of the greatest records ever made

Right......whatever you say....

At least I know they are two albums I should have heard...then again I have known that for many years and have never done anything about it....

LouieB

I will say the new one, Superman, I found very underwhelming.

Agreed. Todd's production, instrumentation, etc is getting real old. It's been collecting dust on the shelve along with Coast to Coast and Standard Gargoyle Decisions. I couldn't get into those either.

I'm joining the chorus of fans begging him for something different. I am so burnt out on his stuff that I really haven't bought much in the last year. I didn't get the circus devils album or the psycho and the birds one and who knows what else. I didn't pick up crickets because I have most of that stuff anyways.

Agreed. Todd's production, instrumentation, etc is getting real old. It's been collecting dust on the shelve along with Coast to Coast and Standard Gargoyle Decisions. I couldn't get into those either.

I'm joining the chorus of fans begging him for something different. I am so burnt out on his stuff that I really haven't bought much in the last year. I didn't get the circus devils album or the psycho and the birds one and who knows what else. I didn't pick up crickets because I have most of that stuff anyways.

god, i couldn't agree more brianjeremy ... nothing since FaCE has blown me away. he really started losing me at normal happiness and it's just gotten progressively worse ... but as much as i'd like to blame todd tobias for the rut bob's in, i think the big thing is he just isn't writing good songs anymore (with occasional exceptions like Supernatural Car Lover or Miles under the Skin)

the psycho and the birds record is awful

sgt. disco is unlistenable

standard gargoyle decisions might be the worst record ever made

coast to coast i thought was OK but just OK

hope he gets it back together but i doubt it. i heard his last solo record sold like 1,500 copies total. nobody's ever had a run like Bob had from Devil between my Toe's to FaCE, but it just seems like it's over

Do the Collapse may be underrated, but it's also not that great. Doesn't even come anywhere near their top 5, IMO.

doesn't come close to my top 5 either, but i love it

1. Teenage FBI -- great little pop tune

2. Zoo Pie -- meh

3. Things I Will Keep -- all-time top-20 gbv track with phenomenal gillard solo

4. Hold on Hope -- don't hate it like most gbv fanatics. live version was awesome

5. In Stitches -- meh

6. Dragons Awake! -- again, live version totally better than flat studio version. cool song

7. Surgical Focus -- all-time top-20 gbv track

8. Optical Hopscotch -- meh

9. Mushroom Art -- meh

10. Much Better Mr. Buckles -- fairly cool track

11. Wormhole -- decent track

12. Strumpet Eye -- i dig it

13. Liquid Indian -- love it

14. Wrecking Now -- all-time top-40 gbv track

15. Picture Me Big Time -- tremendous track

16. An Unmarketed Product -- cool closer

now ... earthquake glue ... there's a GBV record that's really underratged!