US near the top........

I think we all deserve a hearty round of applause.

From Amnesty Internatitonal

Reports of Executions 2007

CHINA 470+

IRAN 317+

SAUDI ARABIA 143+

PAKISTAN 135+

USA 42

IRAQ 33+

VIET NAM 25+

YEMEN 15+

AFGHANISTAN 15

LIBYA 9+

JAPAN 9

SYRIA 7+

SUDAN 7+

BANGLADESH 6

SOMALIA 5+

EQUATORIAL GUINEA 3

SINGAPORE 2

KUWAIT 1+

INDONESIA 1+

BOTSWANA 1+

BELARUS 1+

ETHIOPIA 1

EGYPT +

NORTH KOREA +

So, we didn't come in at #1, me, I’m just glad to see us, as a nation, excel at something again.

Yeah we don't even do 10% of what China does, where's your outrage for those poor souls?

Yeah we don't even do 10% of what China does, where's your outrage for those poor souls?

You’re right, it is tragic, but that does not absolve the US either.

But then China does not prance around the world reminding everyone of their glorious virtues and love of life.

Of course we and our corporations could do the moral thing and not do business with such a country – but then you’d label me a pie-in-the-sky hippy.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/achievement/chap15.html

From the title of the thread I'd figure a death loving country like the USA would be at least within 30 to 40 percent (140 to 190 executions) of the #1 country for executions.

Were not even in the game really. Color me disappointed.

Is there a list of executions per capita, because I would find that more interesting. Because if China executes 1 person in a billion, and say, the vatican city kills 1 person in 820, I think there is a certain degree of difference in that. Either way, I don't think there should be a death penalty, but if you are trying to look at these stats objectively...

Regardless of whether one feels that the death penalty is a just punishment for murder or not, doesn't it reflect poorly on our society that we executing people? Assuming that it is fair, isn't it still sad for it to be necessary?

How many of those 42 were guilty?

Even if all 42 were guilty, I have a feeling that more than 42 people were found guilty of first degree murder last year. Justice in the form of the death penalty is handed out unevenly and unfairly and it impacts people of certain races and economic background disproportionately.

Eye for an eye or not -- rich folks dont get the death penalty for the same crimes. Overworked and overburdened court appointed lawyers end up defending capital cases way too often because many defendants can't afford better.

Uh oh, I hope I didnt just start an all-out death penalty argument thread.

From the title of the thread I'd figure a death loving country like the USA would be at least within 30 to 40 percent (140 to 190 executions) of the #1 country for executions.

Unless of course you start counting civilian causalities in Iraq…

And given our new love of secret prisons and detainments, well, who knows, the tally might go a little higher.

And fifth place among the world's nations is nothing to feel down about - I mean, we're in such good company.

It's close to that range, per capita. China has, what, 4 times as many people?

OK, How about this any way you slice it we're not even within 30% of #3 Saudi Arabia. Per capita or not.

I'm not condoning our use of capital punishment, but it seems like alot of people think the US lines up and executes 4 or 5 prisoners at a crack.

Do they just shoot them and let them fall into a ditch or something?

Justice in the form of the death penalty is handed out unevenly and unfairly and it impacts people of certain races and economic background disproportionately.

The same could be said for abortion.

OK, How about this any way you slice it we're not even within 30% of #3 Saudi Arabia. Per capita or not.

I'm not condoning our use of capital punishment, but it seems like alot of people think the US lines up and executes 4 or 5 prisoners at a crack.

I’ve tried slicing it many different ways, but not matter how I cut it, we’re still number five on the list – above those other bastions of human rights – Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Somolia, etc, etc, etc…..

The same could be said for abortion.

Um, no it couldn't.

EDIT: unless your point is that people that choose to have abortions are disproportionately poor. That's probably true. It's still apples and oranges at best. The govt isn't forcing poor people to have abortions in the name of justice.

While our justice system has it's flaws and I'm not a fan of the death penalty, I'll take it over any of the other countries on that list.