Tom Waits "Glitter and Doom" Tour

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Man might be pulling our legs (individually and as a group) about the recording on Robbie Robertson's record label of crickets. Turns out, I was able to find an interview with Bonnie Jo Hunt (a Sioux opera singer) with little effort:

From NPR's Day to Day:: Hearing Voices #142

Here's a snippet: (emphasis mine)

Ms. HUNT: I do a lot of traveling because of our non-profit organization. We work with children on self-improvement. So I'm out on the reservations much of the time. And I had these messages saying that Robbie Robertson said to get in touch with me. So we went in studio. He said, `I want you to do whatever you feel like. And, now, these are crickets.' So I thought, oh, my goodness. I'm to accompany crickets, see?

(Soundbite of soprano singing)

Ms. HUNT: And when I heard them, I was so ashamed of myself, I was so humbled, because I had not given them enough respect. Jim Wilson recorded crickets in his back yard, and he brought it into the studio and went ahead and lowered the pitch and lowered the pitch and lowered the pitch. And they sound exactly like a well-trained church choir to me. And not only that, but it sounded to me like they were singing in the eight-tone scale. And so what--they started low, and then there was something like I would call, in musical terms, an interlude; and then another chorus part; and then an interval and another chorus. They kept going higher and higher.

(Soundbite of soprano singing and crickets chirping)

As you were,

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

A Review and setlist from the first night of the "Glitter and Doom tour!"

waits_orpheum.jpg

Review from AzCentral.com

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/article...17tomwaits.html

Tom Waits performs in front of sold-out crowd

by Michael Senft - Jun. 17, 2008 11:12 PM

The Arizona Republic

Tom Waits put the "P" in "PEHDTSCHJMBA" on Tuesday night as he kicked off his Glitter and Doom Tour before a sold-out crowd at the Orpheum Theatre. It was the first Valley appearance in over 30 years from the eccentric singer-songwriter, who returns for a second show on Wednesday. And in case you were wondering, PEHDTSCHJMBA is an acronym of all the cities he is stopping at on this rare tour.

Waits, 58, even acknowledged how long it has been since his last visit, joking:

"Does Van Buren still have all those affordable hotels? That's the part of town I remember."

Otherwise he didn't dwell in the past too much during the two-hour show.

Describing the concert is difficult - the band, which included Waits' son Casey on drums, was loose and fluid while swapping instruments, handling the tricky time changes and even trickier stage cues from Waits.

But the center of attention was clearly Waits. Indeed at many points the show seemed less about the music than his outrageous acting. One of the most theatrical "singers" in rock music, he mugged and mimed his way through the songs, accentuating his tortured singing with the persona of a circus ringleader or a mad televangelist.

And with stage props. He performed much of the set standing on a wooden riser which was coated with some sort of powder. As he stomped his feet to the beat, clouds of dust would rise. During Eyeball Kid, from his 1999 comeback album The Mule Variations, he donned a bowler hat covered with mirrors, turning himself into a human disco ball. The stage set, a sort-of junkyard of antique loudspeakers, only accentuated the trash-can sound of the band and the apocalyptic feel of the show.

He also pushed his vocal cords to the limit, taking his voice from a whispered falsetto to a terrifying growl from one word to another. He even pulled out a bullhorn for his ode to the immaculate confection, Chocolate Jesus.

The bulk of the set was drawn from Waits' more recent albums, especially The Mule Variations. He did give longtime fans a special treat with mixed-up rearrangements of older songs, like the gospel rave-up Jesus Gonna Be Here, from the 1992 album Bone Machine, which was transformed into a funky shuffle, and Murder in the Red Barn, a blues number also from Bone Machine, that was given a jazzy twist.

The emotional highlight of the show, however, was when he dismissed the band and sat down at the piano for a handful of older tunes accompanied only by bassist Seth Ford Young. The mood turned conversational, with Waits joking with the hecklers in the crowd. His Bohemian-barfly persona returned as he delved deep into his catalog for such classics from the '70s as Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis and Invitation to the Blues. The mood was spoiled a little by a security guard, who was using his walkie-talkie during Christmas Card, but Waits quickly silenced him before leading the crowd in a singalong version of the stark, emotional Innocent When You Dream.

After the piano interlude ended, Waits strapped on a guitar for the rockabilly rave-up Lie to Me and the set closing stomper Make It Rain, from the 2004 album Real Gone.

He returned for a three-song encore that encapsulated the entire concert. Way Down in the Hole, from 1987's Frank's Wild Years, (and recently heard as the theme song for HBO's prison drama, The Wire) was performed as a full-fledged gospel rave-up. God's Away on Business, from the stage play soundtrack Blood Money was all German dancehall bluster, with Waits mugging and grinning through lyrics like "I'd sell your heart to the junkman baby for a buck, for a buck." And the tender ballad Time from Waits' 1985 masterpiece Rain Dogs, brought the show to an emotional close, with him coming as close to singing as he did at any point during the show, strumming gently on an acoustic guitar while crooning the chorus:

"It's time, time, time, that you love."

Odds are that Waits won't return to the Valley any time soon, so that echoing chorus will have to serve.

Unless you are lucky to have tickets for Wednesday's show.

Setlist:

GREAT review! Thanks for posting it RAIN DOG!

I heard through the Calexico yahoo group grapevine (lots of Arizona peeps) that some tickets for this show went on sale randomly. Somebody pulled two tix in 10th row just a few days ago.

So check with Ticketmaster if you got shut out for a show in your area. It could still happen. :)