Who's a better songwriter (Let's make it interesting):

JUST THE SONG, ITSELF...who's best?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Think about the songs, alone with an acoustic guitar. Who writes the ones that hold up best?

• Paul McCartney
    • John Lennon
    • Ray Davies
    • George Harrison

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has recently struck me that Paul wrote a bunch of songs whose lyrical sentimentality is so syrupy and generic they sound like they came out of a song writing factory. Musical Hallmark cards. "Yesterday" being a prime example.

To his credit, he wrote his share of great stuff, too. I just find him to be the only one, even if you include Dave Davies, who had more than a brief dalliance with generic sentimentality.

It has recently struck me that Paul wrote a bunch of songs whose lyrical sentimentality is so syrupy and generic they sound like they came out of a song writing factory. Musical Hallmark cards. "Yesterday" being a prime example.

He wrote "Silly Love Songs" and you choose to slag him for "Yesterday"?

He wrote "Silly Love Songs" and you choose to slag him for "Yesterday"?

"Yesterday" is a beautiful melody, but the lyrics are so generic they are meaningless and could have been written by anyone. Maybe better examples would have been "Oh Darling" (a fantastic song, but lyrically it's as trite as you can get), "Let it Be" (dull), "The Long and Winding Road" (horrible in every possible way), or any number of other songs.

"Yesterday" is a beautiful melody, but the lyrics are so generic they are meaningless and could have been written by anyone. Maybe better examples would have been "Oh Darling" (a fantastic song, but lyrically it's as trite as you can get), "Let it Be" (dull), "The Long and Winding Road" (horrible in every possible way), or any number of other songs.

"Ebony and Ivory"

the lyrics are so generic they are meaningless and could have been written by anyone. Maybe better examples would have been ... "Let it Be" (dull),

Hey now - you wanna take this outside buddy?

To his credit, he wrote his share of great stuff, too. I just find him to be the only one, even if you include Dave Davies, who had more than a brief dalliance with generic sentimentality.

Girl, you really got me goin

You got me so I dont know what Im doin

Yeah, you really got me now

You got me so I cant sleep at night

Yeah, you really got me now

You got me so I dont know what Im doin, now

Oh yeah, you really got me now

You got me so I cant sleep at night

You really got me

You really got me

You really got me

>

Yesterday,

All my troubles seemed so far away,

Now it looks as though they're here to stay,

Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,

I'm not half the man I used to be,

There's a shadow hanging over me,

Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why she

Had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.

I said,

Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

Love was such an easy game to play,

Now I need a place to hide away,

Why she

Had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.

I said,

Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

Love was such an easy game to play,

Now I need a place to hide away,

?

I'll take Paul over any of these guys. He has the most bad songs, sure, but he also has far and away the most good ones (in my opinion of course). If I had to choose one song writer to listen to forever, it's going to be Paul. From the Beatles to Wings to his recent solo stuff, there's so many good songs.

George and Paul are tied in overall ability in my eyes, but I have a soft spot in my heart for My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, Something, and I could go on and on, but I won't so I'm voting for George. Even outside of pure songwriting and etc. George was the least trite of the bunch (at least in terms of primary songwriters...but in general Ringo was the most chill), so I voted for him.

But really each was so individualized in their songwriting (i.e. Paul is basically the best melodist ever), it's impossible to get a perfect picture until you get all of them combined (specifically talking about Paul/John/George/Ringo).

>

?

I'll take Paul over any of these guys. He has the most bad songs, sure, but he also has far and away the most good ones (in my opinion of course). If I had to choose one song writer to listen to forever, it's going to be Paul. From the Beatles to Wings to his recent solo stuff, there's so many good songs.

You and I both know there are dozens and dozens of examples of Ray Davies songs that are stronger lyrically than "You Really Got Me". (Virtually every other song he wrote.)

As I stated, Paul has written a number of great songs, but I'd put lots of songwriters above him...remember, I'm talking specifically about lyrics. John Lennon. Ray Davies. Pete Townshend. Stevie Wonder. Bob Dylan. John Fogerty. Willie Nelson. Hank Williams. Neil Young. Maybe George Harrison. Maybe even David Byrne.

I think a very strong case could be made for Paul being the best all-around musician ever, because he is excellent as a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter (sometimes), singer and melody writer, among other things. I don't think he's the best at any one thing, but as a total package his only competition that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder.