• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cousin Tupelo

WOW! Some great points.

You have to appreciate McClellan's mettle, if not his political choices. First his president and staff serve him up as a human pinata -- while protecting their VP and a chief mole -- and now, in an effort to come clean, he'll be whacked at from all directions of the right.

The only difference between McClellan and a pinata party is in this case the pinata was wearing the blindfold.

Salon's Glenn Greenwald has a great post regarding this developing story - you can read it here:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/05/28/mcclellan/

Scott's a hack, just like the rest of them. Maybe he's trying to redeem himself; my personal opinion is that he stands to make a lot of money by telling his side of the Bush freakshow.

It doesn't surprise me at all, though, that someone in the Bush camp would tell all when a few $$ are stuck under his nose. What better way to define the past 8 years of U.S. administration?

I like how Perino called his effort "self-serving, disingenuous and unprofessional." It may very well be true, but what she said is still pretty much code for "WTF?! People who aren't loyal get called names!"

Scott's a hack, just like the rest of them. Maybe he's trying to redeem himself; my personal opinion is that he stands to make a lot of money by telling his side of the Bush freakshow.

It doesn't surprise me at all, though, that someone in the Bush camp would tell all when a few $$ are stuck under his nose. What better way to define the past 8 years of U.S. administration?

I like how Perino called his effort "self-serving, disingenuous and unprofessional." It may very well be true, but what she said is still pretty much code for "WTF?! People who aren't loyal get called names!"

And I

McClellan stood to make a lot of money even if his book was totally complimentary of Bush. Self serving? I guess, but it is self serving either way you look at it. If that is how the book is going to be viewed then the standard has to be applied in both directions.

PBS's Frontline has done a great job in the past pointing out how the media gave the WH a free ride on Iraq. They usually cart out the program on the "News War" for pledge weeks, but they have it available online:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newswar/

Yeah, I

McClellan stood to make a lot of money even if his book was totally complimentary of Bush. Self serving? I guess, but it is self serving either way you look at it. If that is how the book is going to be viewed then the standard has to be applied in both directions.

If his book had been complimentary of the president, it would not be being discussed on this website.

I'm not sure how that has any bearing on whether or not he stood to make money either way.

The point is the book is getting a lot of attention than it probably would not have were it just another "this is what I did when I worked at the White House" book.

These types of books do not usually get the crazy attention that McLellan's book is getting.

It'd be interesting to see the Amazon ranking for this book compared to Ari Fleisher's book when it came out.

Sure, he's got some money to make on this, but that still doesn't answer the question of whether what he's saying is true or not. For all the Bushies and former Bushies pointing out that McClellan is making money, not too many of them are actually disputing his claims.

If his book had been complimentary of the president, it would not be being discussed on this website.

But the people hammering him right now would be saying see I told you so, nothing to hide here. My hole point was not one of judgement but pointing out the double standard. Besides what if he is telling the 100% unvarnished truth?

I would imagine that if Bush came out with a book where he said yep, it's true I screwed everything up and laid out the evidence, his supporters would cry bull.

McClellan stood to make a lot of money even if his book was totally complimentary of Bush.

I really doubt that.

By the way, when I said "I like how Perino called his effort 'self-serving, disingenuous and unprofessional,'" I meant it sarcastically. As in, "I like how everyone on my street thinks their dog needs to poop in my yard."

For all the Bushies and former Bushies pointing out that McClellan is making money, not too many of them are actually disputing his claims.

Interesting point.

I would imagiine that if Bush came out with a book where he said yep, it's treu I screwed everything up and laid out the evidence, his supporters would cry bull.

:lol

That's definitely true.

PBS's Frontline has done a great job in the past pointing out how the media gave the WH a free ride on Iraq. They usually cart out the program on the "News War" for pledge weeks, but they have it available online:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newswar/

Yes. That was an AWESOME show. Corporate media sucks balls. You can't trust 'em as far as you can throw them.

It's also funny how Perino says "Scott [McClellan], we now know, is disgruntled about his experience at the White House. For those of us who fully supported him, before, during and after he was press secretary, we are puzzled. It is sad -- this is not the Scott we knew."

I can't believe that any WH press secretary under Bush wouldn't either be the most cynical person in the world or just an all-around terrible person. If I were Scott, Snow, or whomever, I'd leave office thinking "Thank Christ I don't have to walk the line between truth and lies with the American people anymore. That was the most dishonest job I've ever worked." Working in that capacity under this President has to be soul-sucking.

The point is the book is getting a lot of attention than it probably would not have were it just another "this is what I did when I worked at the White House" book.

How many people here at ViaChicago are planning to buy this book, regardless of its content?

:wave

Shouldn't this be a poll?

How many people here at ViaChicago are planning to buy this book, regardless of its content?