I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, but you seem so set in your opinions that it isn't worth discussing it with you.

Kinda like you and baseball.

OK, not exactly like you and baseball, but I think there's a point to be made there. Your devotion to statistics/sabermetrics makes it really hard to talk to you about that sport.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'm following you. Typically it's the newspaper/news program that caves, and not the (potential) advertiser.

Go against the war > lose advertisers > newspaper folds

Go against the war > lose advertisers > newspaper folds

As this book is basically my bible when it comes to journalism: http://www.michaelparenti.org/InventingReality.html, I understand what you're saying, but that's not even close to what happened in the Dunkin Donuts/Malkin scenario.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. I just find Tugmoose's statement that I quoted earlier confusing and possibly contradictory (maybe I'm just reading it wrong). Usually advertisers influenece news organizations, not the other way around as in this case.

I can only speak from my perspective, but I think there was a lot of self-censorship in journalism, with the notable exception of some work some Knight-Ridder guys did, during the runup to Iraq. Obviously, 9/11 had a lot to do with that.

...don't have the guts to speak up or quit if there are disagreements with the boss or colleagues. No, your type soaks up the benefits of power, revels in the limelight for years, then quits, and spurred on by greed, cashes in with a scathing critique...

This is the part I agree with. If things were so bad... SAY SOMETHING!!!!! Come out on talk shows 3 years ago with this stuff!

Spineless.

This is the part I agree with. If things were so bad... SAY SOMETHING!!!!! Come out on talk shows 3 years ago with this stuff!

Spineless.

I agree, that sounds like a fairly apt description, though, how many of the current McClellan bashers will attack Rove for cashing in when his book is published in 09?

My guess

Wow, I've never been a fan of Bob Dole, but I never thought of him as an asshole, either.

That's just pathetic.

From Harpers:

This would be the same Bob Dole who promised Kansans that he would come
what does him living in the watergate have to do with anything?

Just that "home" continued to be a hotel in Washington, not a residence in Kansas like he apparently promised his former constituents.

Did anyone else see McClellan on the Daily show last night?

Was anyone else as bored by the interview after the first 5 minutes of Stewart just shouting at him? That was seriously O'Reilly-esque levels of obnoxiousness. I epxect better of Jon...

Eh, fuck Scott McClellan. Being a toady is bad enough. Being a disloyal, opportunistic toady masquerading as a whistle-blower ought to get you beat with a motorcycle chain.

did you eat Bob Dole's peanut butter?

No. I had oatmeal today. (Fuck! Wrong thread!)

Did anyone else see McClellan on the Daily show last night?

Was anyone else as bored by the interview after the first 5 minutes of Stewart just shouting at him? That was seriously O'Reilly-esque levels of obnoxiousness. I epxect better of Jon...

I actually thought it was pretty good. He started with a number of seemingly earnest questions about what it's like behind the scenes and then, once he had SM saying the things he wanted him to say, went right after him, and the Administration, for being the lying creeps that they are.

As THDW and others have stated, if there were any real justice the whole lot of 'em would be hauled off to prison. They are sick sick people.

Hey, cut the guy some slack. He gave his right hand for his country.

In a similar vein -- when I said that due to his injuries while a POW, John McCain can't raise his arms above his head, my husband said "That's why he said he'll never surrender".

I LOLed.

when I said that due to his injuries while a POW, John McCain can't raise his arms above his head, my husband said "That's why he said he'll never surrender".

:lol