• 9 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thx for the heads up. Feast Of Wire was the last one i was truly in love with, though there are good bits on records after that.

A very nice short set - Calexico performing July 7, 2007 at the Rheinkultur Festival in Bonn, Germany. Streaming courtesy of German WDR TV Rockpalast. (A lot of other videos can be seen there, too.)

It's a multi-camera video and sort of heavily edited with rapid-fire view changes (I just stop watching and listen when they do that, bad editing IMO) ... but for those of us who might be missing a live Calexico right about now (okay, maybe it's only me :blush ) I'm posting it anyway.

http://www.wdr.de/tv/rockpalast/extra/videos/2007/0707/calexico.jsp

Scout

Frontera / Trigger

Across The Wire

Sunken Waltz

Minas De Cobre (For A Better Metal)

Jesus & Tequila (Minutemen)

Deep Down

El Picador

I didn't even know they were coming to town. Saw them at Metro about a year ago and thought they were kind of dull actually.

LouieB

I don't think they are coming to town...but that Metro show was one of my favorite shows that year. Did you see the opener, The Acorn? They were really good too.

That last record was all kinds of dull......It came through live as well.....

-Robert

Okay so someone agrees with me. I felt it affected their entire show, trying to make dull material more exciting in concert. It was sort of upsetting because I have seen them other times when they were excellent. I didn't even stay until the end of the show, which was just a year ago this time.

If the Acorn opened for them at the Metro a year ago, they left no impression, so they weren't terrible.

LouieB

never leave a Calexico gig early...they typically invite the opener on stage for a big blowout of a cover song. w/ the Acorn they played 'crosseyed and painless' and it ruled.

i do agree that the last couple of records have not been too strong.

I stayned long enough for a Velvet Underground cover of some sort, which also seemed dull by that point.

I'll tell you what i personnally think is wrong with Calexico at this point. Needless to say they are very very fine musicians, but once they verved off the southwest vibe, that was their stock and trade, and into the singer songwriter thing, I think they lost something. There are just entirely too many other groups that do that better. But when they fire up the old southwest thing, no one does THAT better.

LouieB

I stayned long enough for a Velvet Underground cover of some sort, which also seemed dull by that point.

I'll tell you what i personnally think is wrong with Calexico at this point. Needless to say they are very very fine musicians, but once they verved off the southwest vibe, that was their stock and trade, and into the singer songwriter thing, I think they lost something. There are just entirely too many other groups that do that better. But when they fire up the old southwest thing, no one does THAT better.

LouieB

:thumbup

-Robert

• 6 months later...
  • 11 years later...

I am resurrecting this ancient thread to tell anyone who loved pre-Garden Ruin Calexico to listen to Sinner’s Shrine by Dean Owens.  Calexico is the band.  It sounds like old Calexico, but with a different lead singer, who’s not that far from what Joey Burns sounds like, and Joey sings backing vox on many songs.

This album hit me from out of left field, and I think I’m going to have a hard time finding a better album this year.  It’s like the Calexico I loved has been reborn on this album.