"Carried to Dust" due September 9, 2008

:wub

I'm waiting patiently for the new CD from Calexico and finally there's been a flurry of news at the Calexico Yahoo Group Casa de Calexico.

1. Here's a Tucson Citizen (local newspaper) video interview with Calexico's Joey Burns where he talks about the new album. http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/video/player....ile=052208calx2

2. New song -- "The News About William" Courtesy Heinz Wagner at the Yahoo Group: (I uploaded this to MediFire myself so as to not abuse Heinz' bandwidth)

Calexico (John Convertino & Joey Burns) appeared live on KXCI Tucson on Friday May 23, 2008 - it's here as a mp3-file, ripped from the internet stream of KXCI. (Courtesy Heinz Wagner at the Yahoo Group)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hmydmzmjmnf

- interview

- song (at about 3:20 min)

- interview (at 8:00 min)

- The News About William (at 10:45 min)

- 'bye bye' talk (at 14:10 min)

(end at 14:41 min)

3. TOURING: Mostly Europe but some USA (bolded) and Canada:

http://www.casadecalexico.com/tours

June 20, 2008 Southside Festival Neuhausen Germany

June 22, 2008 Hurricane Festival Scheebel Germany

July 5, 2008 Comerica City Fest Detroit MI

July 6, 2008 The Mod Club Toronto ON

July 7, 2008 Le National Montreal QUE

July 9, 2008 Ottawa Blues Festival Ottawa ON

July 11, 2008 Winnipeg Folk Festival Winnipeg MB

July 25, 2008 Calgary Folk Fest Calgary, AB Canada

July 27, 2008 Robert Hawkins Amphitheatre Reno NV

Aug 3, 2008 Newport Folk Festival Newport RI

Sept 10, 2008 Tripod Dublin Ireland w. Wood Pigeon

Sept 11, 2008 Queens Hall Edinburgh UK w. Wood Pigeon

Sept 12, 2008 Carling Academy Oxford UK w. Wood Pigeon

Sept 13, 2008 Leadmill Sheffield UK w. Wood Pigeon

Sept 14, 2008 End Of The Road Festival Dorset UK

Sep 24, 2008 Webster Hall, New York, NY

Sept 25, 2008 World Music Festival 2008 Chicago IL at Millenium Park, Pritzker Pavillion with Mariachi Luz de Luna and Salvador Duran *FREE SHOW*

Sep 26, 2008 The Moore, Seattle, WA

Sep 27, 2008 Crystal Ballroom, Portland, OR

Sep 28, 2008 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA

Sep 29, 2008 The Fonda, Los Angeles, CA

Oct 9, 2008 Columbiahalle Berlin Germany w. Boban i Marko Markovic Orkestar

Oct 10, 2008 E-Werk Koln UK

Oct 11, 2008 Forum London UK

Oct 13, 2008 AB Brussels Belguim

Oct 14, 2008 La Cigale Paris France

Oct 15, 2008 Paradiso Amsterdam Netherlands

Oct 16, 2008 Muffathalle Munchen Germany

Oct 17, 2008 Volkshaus Zurich Switzerland

Oct 18, 2008 Rolling Stone Milan Italy

Oct 19, 2008 Mousonturm Frankfurt Germany

Oct 21, 2008 Gasometer Wien Austria w. Lambchop

Oct 22, 2008 Alter Schlachthof Dresden Germany

Oct 24, 2008 Vega Copenhagen Denmark

Oct 25, 2008 Debaser Medis Stockholm Sweden

Oct 26, 2008 Rockefeller Oslo Norway

LIST UPDATED June 7, 2008

4. And finally, in the "Bands Who Do Good Deeds" department, on May 23, 2008, Calexico performed at Tucson's Rialto Theatre as a fundraiser to support a high school mariachi band from Pueblo High School performing in the July 4th parade in DC. Here's an article about how this fundraiser came to be. I went ahead and posted it all because the newspaper isn't going to keep it online much longer.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/239864.php

Calexico show to help Pueblo's Mariachi Aztl�pay for D.C. trip

By Gerald M. Gay

ggay@azstarnet.com

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.22.2008

When Pueblo Magnet High School's Mariachi Aztl�was invited to participate in this year's National Independence Day Parade in Washington, D.C., director John Contreras saw it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for his students. Then he realized how much it was going to cost. Factor in the plane fare, the four-night hotel stay and meals for 20 students and eight chaperones and you are well into the $30,000 range, he figured. The numbers were high but worth shooting for. "This chance doesn't come along very often for kids from South Tucson," Contreras said. "Who knows if they will get another opportunity to travel to the East Coast or even step foot on a plane." What once seemed to be a quixotic quest for funds might now be possible, thanks to a benefit show Calexico is throwing for Mariachi Aztl�at the Rialto Theatre Friday night. Contreras is a member of Mariachi Luz de Luna, Calexico's mariachi of choice when recording or going on tour. When he brought up his dilemma to Calexico's Joey Burns, Burns was more than happy to extend a helping hand. "The whole idea was their idea," Contreras said. "Joey and I were talking about it. I told him our deal and I saw his eyes light up. He said let's do a benefit. Those guys are really nice, really amazing. They made a few calls. Next thing you know, they were asking which dates would work best for us."

Said Burns in a written statement to Caliente: "I am always amazed how much some of my friends who play in mariachi groups give back to their younger players. Johnny Contreras has been teaching mariachi at Pueblo High School for a while, and I've seen the progress that the group has made. I can't think of a better way to give back to the music community than to honor and celebrate a group of players who have made an impact locally and nationally."

The evening will feature performances by the usual suspects: Calexico, Mariachi Luz de Luna and Tucson troubadour Salvador Duran. And Mariachi Aztl�will perform a special set. Aztl�will also accompany Calexico on a track or two from the band's new album due out later this year. "A lot of my kids are involved in mariachi, but they listen to a lot of other stuff, too," Contreras said. "They say, 'Oh, we saw this concert at the Rialto last night.' Now they get the chance to play the Rialto with Calexico. They are all super excited.

319131454.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thx for the heads up. Feast Of Wire was the last one i was truly in love with, though there are good bits on records after that.

• 2 weeks later...

New songs performed at the recent Mariachi Aztlan de Pueblo High School benefit in Tucson.

:wub :music :wub

Two Silver Trees:

Writer's Minor Holiday:

Man Made Lake (clip):

Inspiracion: With Jacob Valenzuela on lead vocals, a song written by him & his brother

(and an oldie for good measure - end of "Not Even Stevie Nicks" and then Dylan cover "Goin to Acapulco")

I've heard very little of these guys. What's a good one to start with?

Garden Ruin, their previous one would be a very good starting point. This one focuses more on the work as actual songs whereas the earlier albums tended to emphasise the horn section more and have a feel as mood pieces, to me anyway. Feast Of Wire and The Black Light are also worth checking out. Also check out the In The Reins EP recorded with Sam Beam of Iron and Wine.

I've heard very little of these guys. What's a good one to start with?
Personally, although I like Garden Ruin, I think it's a bit duller than their other recordings. I strongly recommend Feast of Wire or the EP Convict Pool as a starting point.

Garden Ruin is their most accessible, so that's a good recommendation, but Feast of Wire is their best all around album.

Garden Ruin has one of their best songs though, 'All Systems Red'. was prolly the most stunning song of 2006 for me.

I will quadruple ( ? :P ) that on Feast of Wire. I do like Garden Ruin too though.

Wendy, thanks for posting the info.! :wave I do hope they'll do a few more midwest dates later in the year. :pray They are really something live.

They've got a nice cross-section of songs from a variety of albums on their MySpace page ... http://www.myspace.com/casadecalexico

Here's a single song - All Systems Red (acoustic version) - this one slays me, so beautiful. I like it better than the version that made it to the album. It is a free download from the City Slang label HERE promoting "Garden Ruin." Or download it here if you have probs with that site (I did initially) http://www.mediafire.com/?qorktu5zp0l

There's some interesting "making of" Garden Ruin videos to be seen at that promotion site as well. Creative process stuff.

And I agree with the "Feast of Wire" and "Garden Ruin" suggestions for newcomers. I dig "Black Light" quite a bit for Minas de Cobre and especialy Stray.

Garden Ruin version of ASR >>>>> Acoustic version ;)

while the acoustic version is gorgeous, it misses out on the power of that wall of sound ending that makes the song extra special for me. that song is a total Frames song, big time. kind of wonder if they wrote it shortly after touring w/ them in '03 maybe.

Feast of Wire is definitely the way to go. Before that, they seemed more like a minor Giant Sand offshoot, but with it, they came onto their own.

Unfortunately I was really disappointed in Garden Ruin. Part of it was the bombastic nature of All Systems Red. It's certainly good, but easy to get sick of. And then the Bisee Bee song was a pure mistake.

Not to be obscure, but I really enjoy the tour only cds. They are usually more instrumental, and they get played a lot.

And this band does one of the coolest things ever - they have their own Spanish language calender with the artwork varying, so you never know which one you are going to get:

chica_2008.jpg

mine ended up being the El Flechaudor del Cielo - this muscular archer standing over a swooned senorita. Plus the calender has all the Mexican Saint's days marked off, so you never have to wonder when Santa Maria Magdelena de Pazzi is.

Feast of Wire is definitely the way to go. Before that, they seemed more like a minor Giant Sand offshoot, but with it, they came onto their own.

Unfortunately I was really disappointed in Garden Ruin. Part of it was the bombastic nature of All Systems Red. It's certainly good, but easy to get sick of. And then the Bisee Bee song was a pure mistake.

Not to be obscure, but I really enjoy the tour only cds. They are usually more instrumental, and they get played a lot.

And this band does one of the coolest things ever - they have their own Spanish language calender with the artwork varying, so you never know which one you are going to get:

chica_2008.jpg

mine ended up being the El Flechaudor del Cielo - this muscular archer standing over a swooned senorita. Plus the calender has all the Mexican Saint's days marked off, so you never have to wonder when Santa Maria Magdelena de Pazzi is.

Bisbee Blue is actually one of my favorite songs on that record but I agree with you on the tour only cds. Scraping is especially badass

Bisbee Blue is actually one of my favorite songs on that record but I agree with you on the tour only cds. Scraping is especially badass

The tour only CDs are great. The newest one, Tool Box, is full of great instrumentals.

Sept 25, 2008 World Music Festival 2008 Chicago IL at Millenium Park, Pritzker Pavillion with Mariachi Luz de Luna and Salvador Duran *FREE SHOW*

Another reason Chicago is one of the greatest places to be for music......

LouieB

Check out the archive for a bunch of great live calexico shows.... http://www.archive.org/details/Calexico

Here is a list for all of them

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=co...A%22Calexico%22

China Theater

Rokslide

Rialto

These shows are all mastered by Jim Blackwood - Official Calexico Archivist -

If you are looking for a quick taste, this is the way to go!!!

See ya at the LA show.