Tiger Woods is AWESOME!

Yeah, it would have been cool to see Mediate win, but i do appreciate sustained excellence.

I have not been a big Tiger fan over the years, but damn, he's unbelievable.

Yeah, there's a bit of a Yankees thing with the rooting against the guy who always wins thing going on here, but it's hard not to respect what Tiger does. Rocco definitely seemed to take everything with a lot of grace today, and it's very hard not to like him with the attitude he displayed today. Both of them played their hearts out, and Tiger just pulled it out. Two great competitors were out there today.

I respect the fact that Tiger had the wisdom a few years back to listen to others, tone down the all-the-time blistering shot (swing speed %), and begin thinking about winning and scoring more than showcasing talent.

If he keeps that path up of the best shot for the shot, and his health sustains, he could break every record and invent some new ones.

I admit to usually cheering for Tiger ... probably because he really is that damned good, and I appreciate the history he's already made and will likely make in the future.

That said ... I'd have been ecstatic if Mediate had won. Seems like one of the truly nice guys on the tour.

What's with people who have to scream dumb shit after pro golfers hit the ball?.... Do they just want to be heard on tv?

Seriously.... It's gotta be the most annoying fan participation I've ever heard? Did all this come about from frat boys watching Happy Gilmore one too many times? I think if you do it, you are fair game to get karate chopped in the throat mid sentence.

What's with people who have to scream dumb shit after pro golfers hit the ball?.... Do they just want to be heard on tv?

Seriously.... It's gotta be the most annoying fan participation I've ever heard? Did all this come about from frat boys watching Happy Gilmore one too many times? I think if you do it, you are fair game to get karate chopped in the throat mid sentence.

It's definitely annoying, but I'll put the tomahawk chop and a few other dumb fan traditions above it on the annoying scale.

Transcendent athletes by the decade:

1910s: Jim Thorpe

1920s: Babe Ruth

1930s: Joe Lewis

1940s: Joe DiMaggio

1950s: The Mick?

1960s: Wilt? Clay?

1970s: Ali

1980s: Magic? Montana?

1990s: Michael

2000s: Tiger

That's a pretty good list. It's hard to argue with any of it. I think you can throw Willie Mays or Roberto Clemente in the mix for the 50s or 60s (both played more in the 60s though). Jackie was 40s and 50s, so it would be hard to pick a decade, but everyone forgets just how great of a pure athlete he was.

And for the 80s, I would probably place a combo vote for Magic and Bird. Those two are so inextricably linked and so important to the game, that I would feel bad leaving one out for the other.

If Federer would have conquered clay like he has other surfaces he might give Woods a run for his money in this decade. But he has not - so it's Tiger in the '00s no question.

Guest Jules
Tiger is the best golfer that has ever lived. Also, the only athlete that is remotely as tough in the clutch is Jordan.

Golf has been around a lot longer than basketball.

It's sad that we won't see him at the British or the PGA (which is in my neck of the woods this year), but hopefully he'll be good as new when he returns.

The folks in Grand Blanc have to be really disappointed by this news. With Buick as one of his main sponsors, he usually makes it up to the Flint area. I guess the biggest draw this weekend will be good ol' John Daly, who I heard has a sponsor's exemption into the field. Bring on the yokels.