Advice for Overseas Travel

I'm going to be going out of the country for the first time on Friday (Sorry Canada, you don't count), and I was wondering if people had any general advice and tips for international travel. I'm going to be packing fairly light, as I will be hiking for a good part of the trip, but if there are any must haves, please let me know.

To be more specific, I'm going to be in Peru, and hiking up the Inca Trail up in the Andes for 4 days. The trips going to last about 16 days, and I'll be staying mostly in hostels.

Thanks in advance.

Habla Espagnol?

If not, learn a few key words and smile all the time. Be the opposite of the stereotypical rude American.

Take in all you can -- being out of the country makes you realize how big the world is and how small it is all at the same time.

Drink a lot of water on the plane and stretch when you can.

Have an awesome time and take many pictures (and share when you get back!)

Yo hablo un poco espanol, pero solamente de escuela. Pero un amigo en mi trabajo es de Columbia, y el y yo practicamos en mi oficina.

Or something.

I'm not bringing anything to plug in. (that goes for the condom comment as well!)

Does Peru count as over seas if you don't actually travel over any body of water to get there? I mean, it is kinda attached.

i'm just sayin.

have fun. Take lots of pictures. write down things that you don't want to forget. when in doubt--bottled water. bring over the counter meds with you.

If you have anything that will need to be plugged in, make sure you have the appropriate converter for the plugs in Peru.

Truth. Not just the plugs that make your plugs fit into their outlets, but an actual voltage converter. Or, if that's not an issue, enough batteries to last you. I've only traveled to Europe (and a very short weekend in Tokyo), but batteries are standard sizes; you can buy those when you get there, if you don't want to pack them, just be sure you're set for those before you set off on the hike. And I always bring the biggest possible memory card for my digital camera, because I hate having to fumble around with those.

I believe that using foreign ATMs is actually going to give you a pretty decent conversion rate, and it's easier than dealing with travelers checks, changing money at the airport (terrible rates!), etc. Just be sure that your PIN is only four digits; lots of ATMs here will accept up to 8 digits, but I've gotten stuck with a few European ATMs that wouldn't take my card for that reason.

Does Peru count as over seas if you don't actually travel over any body of water to get there? I mean, it is kinda attached.

i'm just sayin.

have fun. Take lots of pictures. write down things that you don't want to forget. when in doubt--bottled water. bring over the counter meds with you.

Well, I am flying to Fort Lauderdale then to Lima, so I think I'll be going over the Gulf of Mexico, but I suppose you are right. A journal is a real good idea, I'll get on that...and although we're going the bottled water route, I might also bring iodine tablets to plop in water.

...smile all the time. Be the opposite of the stereotypical rude American.

Take in all you can -- being out of the country makes you realize how big the world is and how small it is all at the same time.

Drink a lot of water on the plane and stretch when you can.

Have an awesome time and take many pictures (and share when you get back!)

I'm in agreement with all of the above. Drink a lot of water, just in general, and if you're buying bottled water, try to check that it's not bottled straight out of the tap that's dripping right outside your window at the hostel.

Try to underschedule, rather than overschedule. A friend of mine always mocks me for my "clipboard of fun" that I make up for every trip, but the COF always includes a few days with nothing at all planned, to allow for just wandering around, lingering over meals, etc.

Ah Peru. I have been to the Lima airport which was nice. I did then venture to Chile which was beautiful but very polluted (Air quality was poor). If you are prone to altitude sickness make sure you drink a lot of water and hey also have a special altitude tea that helps. You will feel the altitude in Peru as I felt it in Chile I am sure.

I always also pack some snacks because as I find when I travel abroad it is good to have some things to pick up and go in the morning in case you are in a secluded area.It is also comforting to have if you get sick of the food or are hungry because the portions are tiny!

Also MAKE SURE YOU CALL YOUR BANK AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES and tell them you will be out of the country. You don't want them to freeze your account which happened to me when I went to Europe and I had limited money for a few days until I rectified the situation! Also keep photo copies of your passport in your suitcase in case you lose or damage your passport.

Otherwise have fun, go off the beaten path and speak to the locals! South America is wonderful! :thumbup

I recommend getting one of those pouches for your passport (and whatever else you decide to cram into it) that you can wear around your neck, under your shirt. If it's going to be hot and you'll be wearing T-shirts, maybe not the best idea, but otherwise, I found this to be an important security measure.

Have some kind of backup plan for cash in case your main supply is lost or stolen -- whether that's traveler's checks or a card that you keep separate from your other stuff.

Read the TSA guidelines for what you can and can't take on the plane (no hand grenades!). Seriously.

If they tell you not to drink the water, don't drink the water.

Try to speak your English very, very slow,and never yell.

The way of life is very "calm", so take your time and come to the airport,for example,early,EARLY,because nobody understands your hurry.

Smile all the time,be nice,use "por favor" before and "gracias" after.

Enjoy the people,which is extremely polite and kind.

Young people knows English,at least in towns,but I think if you try to speak Spanish (with a little dictionnary,for example) everybody should be very grateful,and help you even more.

Money,bottled water,be careful with your passport...oh well,you know all these mommy