New new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone tell me where I am on the evolutionary scale? I've been know to watch a little NASCAR (gasp) and have even been known to go to our local short track (NASCAR sanction) and drink (double gasp) domestic tap beer on a Friday night.

Thanks.

Could someone tell me where I am on the evolutionary scale? I've been know to watch a little NASCAR (gasp) and have even been known to go to our local short track (NASCAR sanction) and drink (double gasp) domestic tap beer on a Friday night.

Thanks.

Drinking domestic tap beer puts you squarely in the single-celled organism class. You clearly have a long way to go.

Thanks.

Honestly, if that makes JUDE a single-celled organism, than I am one too. (That's actually an electron microscope image of me in my avatar.)

Thanks.

i don't know about your place on the evolutionary scale, but the fact you can afford better than domestic and choose not to drink it...well, that's just dumb. quit trying to fit in w/ the commoners, rockafella.

QUOTE (bleedorange @ Aug 5 2008, 02:32 PM) *

Oprah and Tiger have both achieved fame and celebrity by being great at what they do and constantly raising the bar for themselves and the people in their respective fields.

That is why Obama is nothing like those two and shares much more in common with Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. Two celebrities who have nothing to offer anyone.

The only similarity between Obama and Oprah & Tiger is their skin color. So, apparently, that is all you care about.

I don't even know where to start.... (this is sarcastic, right?)

i hope so. the idea that obama, though he certainly has his flaws, has one fraction of anything in common

with those nitwits, well, i just can't control myself any longer . . . :lol :rotfl

I work with a woman (college educated) who votes republican every time. Does nto matter who the candidate is she votes republican...until recently that is. She was talking one day and I showed here a picture of the rpublican candiadte for Senate Mr Steele and she said that there was no way she could vote for him now that she knew he was black. So she cast no vote in that race rather than vote for her party. That's exactly the type of person I refer to and that is exactly who that ad and other innuendo about Obama is targeted towards.

Barack Obama:

"Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame," says Barack Obama. "I've already had an hour and a half. I mean, I'm so overexposed, I'm making Paris Hilton look like a recluse."

February 2005 story in Washington Post

So if Obama is comparing himself to Paris Hilton, why is it bad for the Republicans to make the same link?

I work with a woman (college educated) who votes republican every time. Does nto matter who the candidate is she votes republican...until recently that is. She was talking one day and I showed here a picture of the rpublican candiadte for Senate Mr Steele and she said that there was no way she could vote for him now that she knew he was black. So she cast no vote in that race rather than vote for her party. That's exactly the type of person I refer to and that is exactly who that ad and other innuendo about Obama is targeted towards.

So they targeted a "racist" ad at racist people in order to get these people not to vote for a black candidate. You're right. That is a waste of resources.

Barack Obama:

"Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame," says Barack Obama. "I've already had an hour and a half. I mean, I'm so overexposed, I'm making Paris Hilton look like a recluse."

February 2005 story in Washington Post

So if Obama is comparing himself to Paris Hilton, why is it bad for the Republicans to make the same link?

You honestly don't see the difference between Obama's point about excessive media coverage and McCain's insinuation about empty celebrity? It's fair to say that Obama has the same degree of celebrity fame that Paris Hilton does, but it's not fair, or accurate, to say that he's famous for the same reasons.

constant references to states rights and immigration bashing, and now he images of Obama and sweet white girls its all designned to evoke fear of brown people.

What is wrong with states rights and do you really believe that many people out there think that Paris and Britney are "sweet girls"? Hell, I'd be willing to bet if McCain had used Tiger and Oprah he'd be labeled an even bigger racist. With that being said, I don't care for the ad because of a lack of substance but to say it has racial overtones is ridiculous. It probably won

Celebrities are allowed to speak out politically, provided, of course, they
I'm sure Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon would take issue with this statement.

My point, was that the right makes a point of mocking politically outspoken celebrities and the candidates they support, yet has nothing to say on the subject of celebrities who happen to be republican seeking office.

It's fair to say that Obama has the same degree of celebrity fame that Paris Hilton does, but it's not fair, or accurate, to say that he's famous for the same reasons.

Well, aside from being the star of an internet video sensation, I would disagree.

My point, was that the right makes a point of mocking politically outspoken celebrities and the candidates they support, yet has nothing to say on the subject of celebrities who happen to be republican seeking office.

And the left is immune from this sort of behavior I'm to assume?

Well, aside from being the star of an internet video sensation, I would disagree.

Well, I guess you can choose to believe in the vacuous cartoon Obama that's playing in your head--that Obama, although fictional, might be worthy of your dismissive derision--but that Obama isn't the one running for president back here in reality. The real-life Obama is no more an empty celebrity than he is a Messiah. Why resort to extreme caricatures to make a point? Those kind of exaggerated overstatements always undermine the argument.

Well, I guess you can choose to believe in the vacuous cartoon Obama that's playing in your head--that Obama, although fictional, might be worthy of your dismissive derision--but that Obama isn't the one running for president back here in reality. The real-life Obama is no more an empty celebrity than he is a Messiah. Why resort to extreme caricatures to make a point? Those kind of exaggerated overstatements always undermine the argument.

I love this bit.

:yawn You're missing the point again. It has nothing to do with celebrity endorsements or even actors or athletes who venture into politics, and everything to do with the fact that this is a first-term senator who happened to make a stirring speech at a convention and has achieved this celebrity for nothing of real substance politically.

Maybe if he was an actor or athlete, we would have something to go on.

I understand the point, I just don

Osama being juxtaposed amongst well know, liberal leaning celebrities is also part of a campaign to link him with the out of touch, Hollywood Elite
So basically, the democrats are not nearly as good at politics weather as the republicans.