Build a Wiffle Ball Field and Lawyers Will Come

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a youngster my best friend Alan had a backyard that was the most awesome wiffle ball field. There was always enough kids in the neighborhood to get a 5-on-5 or 6-on-6 game at all times. We'd play all day long - hell, we'd even compile individual stats and stuff (HRs, RBIs etc.).

I go around the area now and NEVER see wiffle ball games being played. Pretty sad - where are all of the kids at? Playin' freaking video games inside? :ohwell

damn right. I remember one summer alone my friend Mike S. broke Hank Aarons all time home run record. He hit everything- there was nowhere to pitch him- over the garage, in the right field bleachers, or over the short left field porch, that kid assaulted whiffle balls like they were telling fat jokes about his mom.

Or playing Wiffle ball or football or baseball long into the night, until it seemed as though the only available light came by way of the moon, or the blinkety blink of fireflies – who, to this day, still appear to be possessed of magic – are still greeted with child-like awe and enthusiasm.

revisionism is cool.

In the reality machine I recall grown ups being equally pissed then at what ever kids did.

:lol

I am Jack, your post was beautiful. What's childhood for if not to romanticize it and be endlessly nostalgic for it? Still, I also kind of agree with the sentiment that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Having little ones of my own, I guess we're kind of doing the All-American ChildhoodTM thing in that the neighborhood we live in is just crawling with kids and far enough out from the city that there are tons of open spaces to explore. Its part of the reason we fell in love with the neighborhood and decided to buy a house there. There is never a shortage of other kids to play with and weekends especially are crazy with the endless screams and laughter of children. Its way cool, something I still haven't gotten over after living here for a year and a half.

But there is definitely a debate about how much freedom to give the kids and at what age. My kids are pretty young still--oldest is starting kindergarten in the fall--so the "exploring" is still generally limited to the immediately-surrounding yards, at the moment. But we live right on the edge of a state park with a huge lake (swimming! fishing! canoeing! -- or, alternately -- boating accidents! drowning! -- depending on your point of view) not to mention miles of trails through the woods (hiking! biking! camping! wild animals! ticks! child molesters!) :lol :hmm As the kids grow up, one of my biggest challenges, I think, will be figuring out how to gradually increase their freedom to explore it all. But I hope they do, because the area really is just about a perfect place to be a kid, I think.

On the flipside to this, of course, is that while the neighborhood is definitely crawling with kids, its really only the young ones you see outside a lot. The Jr High and High School kids are largely invisible (are they inside playing video games? maybe)--or you might catch a glimpse of them roaming outside after dark, hanging out and getting into pretty typical teenager mischief. And, really, how is any of this any different from my childhood? I remember those romanticized summer twilight nights of youth just as well as I remember spending plenty of time plastered in front of the NES with a bag of Cheetos and sneaking out after dark to do some really stupid stuff.

damn right. I remember one summer alone my friend Mike S. broke Hank Aarons all time home run record. He hit everything- there was nowhere to pitch him- over the garage, in the right field bleachers, or over the short left field porch, that kid assaulted whiffle balls like they were telling fat jokes about his mom.

Too funny

maybe. he had heelies until I took a screwdriver to them this morning

:lol Well done. Those things are hell on a waxed floor.

:lol

I am Jack, your post was beautiful. What's childhood for if not to romanticize it and be endlessly nostalgic for it? Still, I also kind of agree with the sentiment that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Having little ones of my own, I guess we're kind of doing the All-American ChildhoodTM thing in that the neighborhood we live in is just crawling with kids and far enough out from the city that there are tons of open spaces to explore. Its part of the reason we fell in love with the neighborhood and decided to buy a house there. There is never a shortage of other kids to play with and weekends especially are crazy with the endless screams and laughter of children. Its way cool, something I still haven't gotten over after living here for a year and a half.

But there is definitely a debate about how much freedom to give the kids and at what age. My kids are pretty young still--oldest is starting kindergarten in the fall--so the "exploring" is still generally limited to the immediately-surrounding yards, at the moment. But we live right on the edge of a state park with a huge lake (swimming! fishing! canoeing! -- or, alternately -- boating accidents! drowning! -- depending on your point of view) not to mention miles of trails through the woods (hiking! biking! camping! wild animals! ticks! child molesters!) :lol :hmm As the kids grow up, one of my biggest challenges, I think, will be figuring out how to gradually increase their freedom to explore it all. But I hope they do, because the area really is just about a perfect place to be a kid, I think.

On the flipside to this, of course, is that while the neighborhood is definitely crawling with kids, its really only the young ones you see outside a lot. The Jr High and High School kids are largely invisible (are they inside playing video games? maybe)--or you might catch a glimpse of them roaming outside after dark, hanging out and getting into pretty typical teenager mischief. And, really, how is any of this any different from my childhood? I remember those romanticized summer twilight nights of youth just as well as I remember spending plenty of time plastered in front of the NES with a bag of Cheetos and sneaking out after dark to do some really stupid stuff.

Thank you.

Yeah, I sympathize with you regarding the ideal balance of freedom vs. supervision. Our daughter is turning two next week

i'm pretty sure that our neighbors think we beat both the boys about the kneecaps considering they skin their knees running/climbing around every other day. whenever it happens they show me first thing when i come in the door from work...like a badge of courage or something.

also, much to owen's chagrin, logan has added the headlock to his dispute-resolution toolbox.