EW's List of the 100 "New Classics" (books since 1983)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Galapagos, no Blubeard. meh...

Both very good reads that I enjoyed, too, but I'm not sure I'd even put them in Vonnegut's "Top 10" list. That's more a testament to Vonnegut than the quality of those two particular books, though.

I'm not sure why we're surprised by the omissions/submissions to this list. Really, how much credibility should we give to a fluff-journalism rag?

The Da Vinici Code? That's all you need to know.

No Galapagos, no Blubeard. meh...

But then I'm an impartial freak.

I like Timequake and Hocus Pocus quite a bit- particularly the last line of the latter and two particular scenes from the former. Vonnegut's description of death as a tossed stone hitting a pond and of human consciousness being the fastest thing in the universe- that's great stuff.

For the baseball lovers out there, the first chapter of DeLillo's Underworld was some of the best baseball writing I've read.

Available separately now in novella form under the title Pafko at the Wall. Underworld can be too daunting to even look at. But I agree, hugely recommended.

Available separately now in novella form under the title Pafko at the Wall. Underworld can be too daunting to even look at. But I agree, hugely recommended.

I'm almost 1/2 way through Underworld now - tried to tackle it a few years back, but didn't get beyond the first scene (best book opener ever?). I expect to finish by end of summer. :dancing