EW's List of the 100 "New Classics" (books since 1983)

I know there are some serious book-lovers on this site, so I thought I'd just throw this out there. EW just dropped a list of their 'New Classics' -- 100 books since 1983. Consider the source, I know, but undeniably there are some classics on that list.

Harry Potter at #2? Seriously? Nice to see Murakami get some love though. What did they miss? What would you exclude?

1. The Road , Cormac McCarthy (2006)

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling (2000)

3. Beloved, Toni Morrison (1987)

4. The Liars' Club, Mary Karr (1995)

5. American Pastoral, Philip Roth (1997)

6. Mystic River, Dennis Lehane (2001)

7. Maus, Art Spiegelman (1986/1991)

8. Selected Stories, Alice Munro (1996)

9. Cold Mountain, Charles Frazier (1997)

10. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami (1997)

11. Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer (1997)

12. Blindness, Jos

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Oryx and Crake a recent title? I really enjoyed it, thought it could crack it, but alas.

That just might be my favourite book ever. I think it was published in 2003.

Also, no Douglas Coupland! pfffft!

I was just thinking, what the heck, no Youth in Revolt?! THEN, I googled it.... it is being made into a movie with Micheal Cera, Steve Buscemi, Fred Willard, and Zach Galifianakis (and others, obviously). I am sooooo excited!

And, Judy, I agree... no Douglas Coupland? Weird. I loved Shampoo Planet.

Interesting. They have some of my favorite authors on there, but picked books I would not have chosen. Kate Atkinson, for example: I adore her, but Case Histories isn't my favorite or even second-favorite of her novels.

Clearly, the world needs a "Brianne's top 100 books" list.

How does Dan Brown get on a list of classics? That is like putting N'Sync at #93 of a best bands list.

I enjoyed Angels & Demons, but wouldn't call it a classic. I've read 3 of his books (Digital Fortress & DaVinci are the others) and he's VERY formulaic. Spoiler alert for his next novel... The bad guy is the older, gentle, mentor/father-like figure.

I'm glad to see America: The Book sneak in there. Easily one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I have not been able to get into Eggers, by the way. He's been reccomended to me by alot of people but I just cannot get into Heartbreaking Work.

I've only read two by Eggers, but I liked What is the What a whole lot more than You Shall Know Our Velocity.

(By the way, that "Brianne's top 100 books" list does not exist in any way, shape, or form. I had a hard enough time ranking a top 20 albums.)