Say it ain't so, Batman!

I'll be so disappointed if this is true....

Link

"The Associated Press

updated 4:32 a.m. PT, Tues., July. 22, 2008

LONDON - Batman star Christian Bale was to be questioned by police over allegations he assaulted his mother and sister the night before the European premiere of his film, "The Dark Knight," British media reported Tuesday.

His mother and sister reportedly complained that the 34-year-old actor assaulted them at a west London hotel on Sunday.

Britain's Press Association said they made the allegation at a police station in south England on Monday and that the allegation was passed on to Scotland Yard in London. It said questioning was expected Tuesday.

When asked Tuesday about the news reports, Scotland Yard said it was investigating an allegation referred to it by another police force but refused to say whether the incident involved Bale.

The Sun newspaper said police did not question Bale on Monday because they did not want to interfere with the premiere.

Bale's U.S.-based representatives did not immediately return messages seeking comment. Phone calls to Bale's London representative rang unanswered."

That's what they get for dressing up as Catwoman and Poison Ivy and surprising him like that.

Quick! To the Bat-Distillery, Robin! We need more Bat-Bourbon!

It befuddles me that people follow what actors/athletes/musicians do off the stage, screen or field.

Many people are interested in the events of two groups - the people they know and the people they've heard of. The second group is not limited to performers. If this story involved Kofi Annan, it would be reported on. If it involved Jon Krakauer, it would be reported on. This happens to be an actor. This is the way I see it, anyway.

Many people are interested in the events of two groups - the people they know and the people they've heard of. The second group is not limited to performers. If this story involved Kofi Annan, it would be reported on. If it involved Jon Krakauer, it would be reported on. This happens to be an actor. This is the way I see it, anyway.

Post. Of. The. Day.

TMZ says that it was apparently verbal assault... I guess you can get arrested for that England. Crazy fookin Brits.

Don't say anything against the fookng Brits. I'm married to one, you know.

It befuddles me that people follow what actors/athletes/musicians do off the stage, screen or field.

I'll bite. I'll cop to finding TMZ (the television show) enormously entertaining for the mere fact that they knock the glamour and sheen off of everything we are force-fed daily. There is such a high level of celebrity worship in this society from print magazines and what-not, photo-shopped, air-brushed magazine covers, that a show like TMZ serves as a counter-balance. It humanizes it all. That or I'm just mean-spirited...

I'll bite. I'll cop to finding TMZ (the television show) enormously entertaining for the mere fact that they knock the glamour and sheen off of everything we are force-fed daily. There is such a high level of celebrity worship in this society from print magazines and what-not, photo-shopped, air-brushed magazine covers, that a show like TMZ serves as a counter-balance. It humanizes it all. That or I'm just mean-spirited...

I agree...there are times when I think those who live out their misfortunes/embarrassments in public are receiving their just deserts. One can't have it both ways. I do feel badly for those who don't actively seek that spotlight and are just thrust into it- especially when it concerns things of a sensitive nature. In the case of Bale (who has been my favorite actor since Empire of the Sun...I think he's really an artist), an arrest is a matter of public record- not salacious gossip, invading his privacy, etc. I do hope it turns out to be much ado....

In the case of Bale (who has been my favorite actor since Empire of the Sun...I think he's really an artist),

I can relate, Kurt Russel's been my favorite actor since The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters :rolleyes

My understanding of the American dream is one where equality is not only

possible, but a right. Not an equality where we elevate one above the other

building modern kings and queens, but one where we're genuinely free, cared

for....safe. The version we seem to be buying into though is one where we

worship our idols waiting until they prove they're human like the rest of

us, so we can watch the tumble and inevitable crawl to the top by the next...all the

while waiting for someone more immediate to us to get their fifteen minutes on

the heap. We admire their spending and consumption as if it were some real

indication of greatness, instead of a colossal waste of resources. Heath

Ledger is no different than the loner kid I knew in high school who my

friends and I tried to befriend. I recall the day we sat outside his house,

on the curb, after he killed himself in his basement. Christian Bales is no

different than some guy who comes home from work after a bad day and loses

his shit. Maybe he has a substance abuse problem like so many more. Maybe

his family is just nuts.... I have friends who have lived through that. But is

the guy who dresses up as batman on the screen really so different than the

guy dressed up as batman on the movie line? There are people we don't know

living next door and down the street. Their kids go to school with our kids,

we work with them, worship with them, hope and pray and fear with them.

There may be two groups of people, those we know and those we've heard of,

but it seems societally and attention resource-wise we invest more in one

group than the other, and it ignores that ever important third group; those

we don't know and haven't heard of, but share the world with.