Where the Northern Lights Come From

I've only seem them once, back in college. It took me a while to figure out what I was seeing. Green, red, and blue all fluttering at what seemed to be 20 ft. up. Unforgettable!

oooh, i'm jealous. someday i hope to see them!

Awe! You guys need to come on up to northern British Columbia. It almost seems like in the summer, you can see them every night. Some nights it's just a green band in the sky, almost looking like a cloud with some light pollution on it, but other nights the sky will open with a huge red burst, it's beautiful.

Skies up north are great. When I went to school in upstate New York, we could see the Northern Lights. Also, meteor showers and amazing sunsets. Don't miss the cold, though.

I saw the NL from my roof of my old place in Andersonville (Chicago) on a Sunday nite a few years ago.

Dont forget, the Perseid meteor shower is peaking in the early morning hours before dawn on Tuesday 8/12. Usually, its worth getting up early or even staying up all nite if you get into what I call 'natures firework show'.

Dont forget, the Perseid meteor shower is peaking in the early morning hours before dawn on Tuesday 8/12. Usually, its worth getting up early or even staying up all nite if you get into what I call 'natures firework show'.

Thanks for the reminder on that. I always curse living in a city when the meteor showers come round. maybe i can take a day off from work and venture out to the middle of nowhere to watch this. i find this stuff to be beautiful and fascinating.