MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the last lead i saw blown this badly was in 1989, i think.

but i could be wrong, not signing any contract.

Holy F. Santana gets a W!

what a messy and fun game to watch. wish i was at fenway. we keep waking up the cats with our groans and shouts.

Right but they're playing for next season now.

Oh, I know. I mean, when we traded CC first, then Casey Blake, it was obvious, but our pitching staff has been pretty weak and it's just getting weaker. Plus, I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Byrd, so this is aggravating to an extent. We are trying to shape up, who, Sowers? 1-6? For real? We need at least some reliable pitching to carry over, and now the only person to be so is really only Cliff Lee.

I still want to win some games. I don't care how far we look into the future but at least give us the chance to win a few games before the next season.

Also, I'm glad I can't watch the Sox game because I'm blacked out of the Rangers market. Dallas is only 8 hours from here so I understand.

:rolleyes

Do you have mlb.tv? I've been mysteriously avoiding those blackouts after receiving some advice on this board. Strange. :shifty

Do you have mlb.tv? I've been mysteriously avoiding those blackouts after receiving some advice on this board. Strange. :shifty

I have the extra innings package through DirecTV. It seems I am in the STL, TEX, HOU, ATL, and sometimes CIN markets.

Sowers? 1-6?

I'm not that familiar with Sowers, but I know that he is a former first round pick and is at that age where many young pitchers start to "get it." It's up to the Tribe management to determine how likely that is next year, but big turnarounds can happen from season to season. For instance: Gavin Floyd. Last year, 1-5 5.27 ERA. This year, 12-6 3.84 ERA.

I don't know if any of you baseball fans listened to this new album or not, "The Baseball Project"

But Scott McCaughey (Minus 5, Down With Wilco, you know the REM/Hitchcock Venus 3 dude) ... he is chatting online right at this moment on ESPN.com about this and other funny stuff. His neighborhood Portland musician friends, Colin and Nate (The Decemberists) are chatting with him.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21920

mlb_baseball_project_200.jpg

Here's a funny:

Christophe, belgium: hey scott, who do you wanna collaborate with for volume 2?

Scott McCaughey: (4:47 PM ET ) I'm hoping David Wells will play some sax on the next record. Also it'd be nice if guys like Tweedy and Westerberg would get off their lazy asses and write songs for me, so I can devote more time to my true love, collecting shards.

I'm not that familiar with Sowers, but I know that he is a former first round pick and is at that age where many young pitchers start to "get it." It's up to the Tribe management to determine how likely that is next year, but big turnarounds can happen from season to season. For instance: Gavin Floyd. Last year, 1-5 5.27 ERA. This year, 12-6 3.84 ERA.

I suppose I should give Sowers another year or so before railing on him any more, but we lose games more often than we win them with his performances.

I really do like the camera angles at the Washington ballpark, especially when a Mets homerun leaves it.

I don't know if any of you baseball fans listened to this new album or not, "The Baseball Project"

I bought that mostly for the baseball, partially for McCaughey. I love that Ted Williams song!

At the risk of mentioning something tabloid-esque:

Sox catcher Jason Varitek (above) is splitting with his wife, Karen. The team captain filed for divorce July 28 in Gwinnett County, Ga., where the couple live in the offseason. They were married in 1997 and have three daughters, ages 8, 6, and 3. Varitek is in the final year of a four-year, $40-million contract he signed after the BoSox won the World Series in 2004. He'll be a free agent at the end of this season, though he turns 37 in April and is hitting just .216. Neither Varitek's attorney, Pamela Tremayne, nor his wife's attorney, Jonathan Levine, returned our phone calls yesterday.dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

This could maybe be linked to his dismal offense all season.

At the risk of mentioning something tabloid-esque:

Sox catcher Jason Varitek (above) is splitting with his wife, Karen. The team captain filed for divorce July 28 in Gwinnett County, Ga., where the couple live in the offseason. They were married in 1997 and have three daughters, ages 8, 6, and 3. Varitek is in the final year of a four-year, $40-million contract he signed after the BoSox won the World Series in 2004. He'll be a free agent at the end of this season, though he turns 37 in April and is hitting just .216. Neither Varitek's attorney, Pamela Tremayne, nor his wife's attorney, Jonathan Levine, returned our phone calls yesterday.dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

This could maybe be linked to his dismal offense all season.

oh wow. isn't she one of the few sox wives/girlfriends who aren't into the long-blonde-hair thing? (no offense to anyone with long blonde hair! it's just that the percentage there is really out of balance.)

seriously, this makes me sad, and it's very probable that this kind of personal turmoil would affect his season.