MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't imagine anyone who is a true baseball fan not being a little bit sad at the last game in Yankee stadium, I don't care who you root for. That place has as much baseball history in it as most of the parks in the league combined. I'm sad they are tearing it down.

Pretty proud that the last team to celebrate a World Series win in that stadium was the Marlins.

Yes. Jeter was particularly good at the end. Truly, he is the greatest baseball player in New York.

Dude, nobody likes A-Rod. Even Mets fans get moist over Jeter.

That doesn't mean he's the best player between the two teams. He might not be in the top 10 at this point.

I get that he's the poster child of the franchise, and the golden boy and all that jazz, whatever. But he's becoming more and more average as the years go by.

And yeah, I got chills when Yogi Berra got behind home plate.

That was when I first fell in embarrassing man-love with Josh Beckett.

that's understandable. for one thing, he's so fiery when he wins, it's great.

that it did, and a lot of us needed a bit of help with that ALCS sting. it was a whopper.

I couldn't imagine anyone who is a true baseball fan not being a little bit sad at the last game in Yankee stadium, I don't care who you root for.

Well, in terms of minor moral victories in an otherwise bleak decade, I would have preferred to see my O's stick it to the Yanks by winning the last game in that park.

Other than that, yeah, it feels surreal to think that Yankee Stadium is closing.

Historic Yankee futility

from *King Kaufman's* Sports Daily - Salon by King Kaufman

The New York Yankees staved off elimination Sunday night by beating the Baltimore Orioles 7-3 in New York. The win kept the Yankees barely alive in the American League wild-card race, trailing the Boston Red Sox by six and a half games. If the Yankees win their remaining six games and the Red Sox lose their last seven, they'll meet in a one-game playoff.

That almost certainly won't happen, and that means this is another year when the once great Yankees franchise has fallen short of the postseason.

It's another year without a championship for Derek Jeter, who at 34 has had a down season and may be in his decline phase. If the Yankees don't get things turned around soon Jeter may well retire with only four World Series titles and six pennants to his name. Has any player so great won so little?

Imagine you're Mariano Rivera. You're the greatest closer in history, yet you've never had a chance to pitch in a playoff game, except in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Though the Yankees are still technically alive, the postscripts and dissections and what-went-wrongs have been coming in for weeks.

Injuries, down years from Jeter, Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera and the failure of phenoms Ian Kennedy and Philip Hughes to develop into effective pitchers have contributed to the Yankees falling short once again, a depressing streak of one year in a row without a playoff appearance for this downtrodden franchise. The futility streak matches those of the perennial non-champion Colorado Rockies and Cleveland Indians.

Notes: Sunday's game was the last at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees will move across the street to a new park next season

Now to teams who have a chance to make the playoffs. The Twins & White Sox have a huge series indoors starting today. The Twins will need to sweep to have any chance. They've stepped up before against the Sox. It'll be hard to do w/o an emotional leader like Hunter.

Now to teams who have a chance to make the playoffs. The Twins & White Sox have a huge series indoors starting today. The Twins will need to sweep to have any chance. They've stepped up before against the Sox. It'll be hard to do w/o an emotional leader like Hunter.

FYI, this starts tomorrow.

FYI, this starts tomorrow.

Oops. I looked at our next opponent, not the date. Thanks! I assume you're a White Sox fan. I really thought Carlos Quentin's bone-headed stunt would end up paying dividends for the Twins, but they certainly haven't taken advantage.