this might actually be pretty good. don't know how they are gonna deal with stills' voice though. it is shot! but i really love CSN(Y) and am excited about them doing something acoustic along the lines of Rubins work with Cash and Neil Diamond. Crosby and Nash still sound great. Unfortunately, the new CSNY live album is pretty rough.

Crosby, Stills & Nash To Record With Rick Rubin

2008 | July 17 | billboard.com

Crosby, Stills & Nash are plotting their first studio album since 1994 -- a covers set for Columbia Records helmed by Rick Rubin.

"Rick Rubin's a brilliant man," Graham Nash tells Billboard.com, "and what he wants is an album with no CSN songs. He wants to do an album of all the songs we love, all the songs we wish we've written. It's brilliant from this point of view because we usually wait five years to record an album. This way there's no pressure."

Nash says he, David Crosby and Stephen Stills have had "many discussions" with Rubin about the project, whittling the proposed list of songs from 60 down to a current 20, which the trio is rehearsing after sound checks during its summer tour. Nash declines to name specific songs but acknowledges most would be considered well-known.

He expects recording to start in early 2009 for a release later in the year. The covers set, which will be CSN's first new release since 1994's "After the Storm," is one of many projects on the trio's plate at the moment. "CSNY: Deja Vu," the documentary of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's 2006 Freedom of Speech Tour, opens July 25, with the companion live album due Tuesday. Nash, meanwhile, is overseeing a number of archival projects, including his own boxed set, which will be released in time for his 67th birthday in February.

He's curating a Stills box set as well, and recently discovered an album's worth of material of Stills playing with Jimi Hendrix that will be compiled for another release. Nash is also putting together a live album from CSNY's 1974 stadium tour, a set of Crosby Nash acoustic recordings and a benefit record for the Children's Defense Fund that will feature his and Crosby's collaborations over the years with artists such as Elton John, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Phil Collins, Jackson Browne and others.

Nash -- who will be touring with Crosby this fall -- says the sonic spelunking is invigorating.

"You fall back in love with the reason why you wanted to play with Neil Young in the first place, the reason why you wanted to play with Stephen Stills in the first place, and with Crosby in the first place," Nash explains. "You go, '...I remember all this sh*t. That's what we were trying to concentrate on.' It's very interesting, very enlightening."

There should be "Rubinator 2000" production equipment for geezers at this point.
Yea, really...

I read an article about Neil Diamond and his second album for Rubin and some how I simply can't get excited about this take a geezer and make him a significant artist again (not a star, because Diamond continues to be that...). Somehow it seems improbable that even the great Rick Rubin can do for any of these guys what he did for Johnny Cash. But we shall see.

LouieB

Yea, really...

I read an article about Neil Diamond and his second album for Rubin and some how I simply can't get excited about this take a geezer and make him a significant artist again (not a star, because Diamond continues to be that...). Somehow it seems improbable that even the great Rick Rubin can do for any of these guys what he did for Johnny Cash. But we shall see.

LouieB

i think i agree with this. i mean, Cash was a fine candidate for Rubin's work, but hell, i could do what rubin does. take some slicked up classic rocker who hasnt made a good album in decades and make him/her do an underproduced acoustic album!!! i am thinking James Taylor, Carol King, CSN, America, maybe even neil young. it's so funny how it's revolutionary, when it's really just no production and a little intentionality about songwriting. these legends were just caught in their zietgiest. their old shit sounds good because, by luck, it was recorded in the 70s and not in the 80s. it amazes me to no end how much musicians and bands have no clue about production and how 'producers' like brendan obrien and steve lillywhite take them for a ride.

That will be the thing to have.

Along the lines of Another Stoney Evening [LIVE] - I would hope.

i agree, also the CSNY '74 show. hopefully get a nice clean version on neil's Pushed It Over the End.

That was hilarious: Colbert in full Neil Young regalia.

They should record with him: CSNC!

I saw the repeat of this tonight - thanks for the heads up Mike! :thumbup

I loved this bit:

SC: Have you guys written any new political material? Maybe a tune called "The Surge Is Working"?

I love their very first album, I've fond memories of stealing it from my father's CD collection so much at one point I just left it with my stuff. Working with Rubin could be an interesting move for them, but I am not sure I like the idea of an all covers disc.

--Mike

Call me crazy, but I don't think working with Rick Rubin ensures any kind of positive outcome. Once, it did. But now, I don't think so. I mean really -- how much direction is a producer going to give a "super group" that's been around forever. I'll be very, very surprised if it isn't crap.

BTW, Note to record labels: Find some new talent that doesn't suck.

They are also jumping on the covers album bandwagon - everyone who does one - hopes to match the sales of those albums Rod Stewart made (I guess) - but I don't think it is going to happen for them. They did a pretty good version of Blackbird back in the day - you can hear it on the CSN boxset, and the last CSN (first album) re-issue. I think that 74 Tour stuff is out there to be had - I have never heard it. If it is anything like Four Way Street, I am not sure I would want to hear it.

While the Rubin produced records of Cash are certainly the high point of Rubin's taking old musicians and giving them a new audience, I never found those albums nearly as compelling as Cash's original recordings on either Sun or Columbia. Don't get me wrong, there is alot of good stuff on those albums and they are more than worth listening to. What Cash had going for him was one of the great voices in American Music, something that frankly Neil Diamond doesn't have. As was pointed out there are a ton of folks out there that could use a make over like Cash got, sing a few songs (maybe newer ones even written by other people) and put a spiffy well produced bunch of musicians behind them after the fact.

As for nostalgia over these albums, I never play them, having heard CSN at summer camp when it came out. I don't need to hear them again (although Deja Vu was always my favorite), and their material is played on classic rock stations all the time anyway. 4 Way street may be one of the worst live albums ever... (Did I mention I saw CSNY back in the 70s.... :rolleyes :yawn :yawn )

(Judging from the response my Patti Smith thread got (none) Rick Rubin ought to pick her up, she does have one of the great voices of American music.)

LouieB

The first album is often my favorite album of all time. I don't think they have ever made one better than that - really.

I think there is film of that Wembley show also - it was up at dime a dozen or tape city recently.

The first album is often my favorite album of all time. I don't think they have ever made one better than that - really.

I think there is film of that Wembley show also - it was up at dime a dozen or tape city recently.

Well since they were two different groups CSN and CSNY, both first albums (the couch album and Deja Vu) are all you really need....agreed.

As for the article on Patti Smith..it is just down the line on this same forum...its about a movie about her....

LouieB

Well since they were two different groups CSN and CSNY, both first albums (the couch album and Deja Vu) are all you really need....agreed.

As for the article on Patti Smith..it is just down the line on this same forum...its about a movie about her....

LouieB

I like to Deja Vu - but I think it was more of an individual effort than a group effort - or so I have read.

I love the CSNY story from Bill Graham's book. When they played the Fillmore East in '70. Sounded like they were pretty full of themselves already.

BTW, Note to record labels: Find some new talent that doesn't suck.

Amen to the above!!!

They are also jumping on the covers album bandwagon - everyone who does one - hopes to match the sales of those albums Rod Stewart made (I guess) - but I don't think it is going to happen for them. They did a pretty good version of Blackbird back in the day - you can hear it on the CSN boxset, and the last CSN (first album) re-issue. I think that 74 Tour stuff is out there to be had - I have never heard it. If it is anything like Four Way Street, I am not sure I would want to hear it.

The 74 stuff is out there, but not he best quality sound wise. the band, however, is on!! of course neil is with them.

Wolfgang's Vault -

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 09.08.1974/ Part 1

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 09.08.1974/ Part 2

# 1. Love The One You're With 5:26 +

# 2. Wooden Ships 7:24 +

# 3. Immigration Man 4:11 +

# 4. Helpless 4:57 +

# 5. Military Madness 2:51 +

# 6. Johnny's Garden 4:39 +

# 7. Walk On 3:40 +

# 8. Almost Cut My Hair 8:26 +

# 9. Teach Your Children 3:36 +