• Middlesex
    • The Scarlet Letter
    • Dox Quixote
    • Then We Came to the End

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it recently, but couldn't get into Underworld. I'm game for Oscar Wao. How about some lighthearted nonfiction like

Naomi Klein's "Shock Doctrine"? :ike

I taught an essay by Naomi Klein last semester and have wanted to pick up one of her books. I've also been wanting to read something by Michael Pollan, if we're looking for more nonfiction suggestions.

At some point when I'm not insanely busy, I'd love to lead a discussion on a book of poems, if enough people were interested. It seems like nobody outside of academia reads contemporary poetry, and I think that's a shame, since there's some great writing going on.

OK, the poll's up. I've included most of the picks that were getting some discussion in this thread, so I think there's really only a couple of serious contenders. It's set up so that you can vote for more than one, so feel free to do so if you're undecided.

I'll close it out on Sunday morning.

Yeah, at the moment Underworld would probably be my pick. I read the first chapter as an excerpt (in Harpers, maybe?) years ago, but never got around to reading the whole thing.
In my humble opinion the opening chapter far outshines the rest of the novel, which I read in its entirety a few years back.

LouieB

At some point when I'm not insanely busy, I'd love to lead a discussion on a book of poems, if enough people were interested. It seems like nobody outside of academia reads contemporary poetry, and I think that's a shame, since there's some great writing going on.

Here's one: The Widening Spell of the Leaves - Larry Levis

I don't want to muck things up by throwing in this suggestion for this round, but in the future I'd be interested in trying something by Haruki Murakami. And Jane Austen is always wonderful. :thumbup

I'd be down to read The Things They Carried again, as I'm sure you would.

I think this is a great idea. :thumbup

Also, I'll hang onto all of these other suggestions (tons of good ones!) for the next round.

OK, it was a squeaker, but looks like the winner is Devil in the White City! I'll close the poll, and start a new thread specific to that.

edit: I don't see how to close the poll without closing the whole thread, so I'm just going to record the current results here (in case more votes come in later):

Underworld [ 6 ] [25.00%]

Devil in the White City [ 8 ] [33.33%]

The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao [ 5 ] [20.83%]

Middlesex [ 0 ] [0.00%]

The Scarlet Letter [ 2 ] [8.33%]

Dox Quixote [ 1 ] [4.17%]

Then We Came to the End [ 2 ] [8.33%]