1. 1. OK, so which book?

• Underworld
    • Devil in the White City
    • The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
    • Middlesex
    • The Scarlet Letter
    • Dox Quixote
    • Then We Came to the End

We talked about doing this a couple of years ago, but if I recall, it got derailed by some ridiculous snipe-fest (Sniping? On VC? Never!). Anyway... anyone interested in doing this? I'll take suggestions in this thread for the next couple of days, then if we don't come to some consensus, I'll make it a poll. We can probably have a book picked and be ready to go by Monday.

Depending on the length of the book, we can talk about whether we want to do this in one chunk (everyone just starts reading, and joins in on the conversation as they finish), or do it in sections (read an agreed-upon number of chapters a week, something like that).

I'll start off with a few from my To-Read list, that I haven't been able to get to yet:

Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture

The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

(How come even my fiction pick has a super-long sub-title???)

and one more, with a much more generic sub-title :)

Underworld: A Novel

This could very definitely be a bust, my real-life book club imploded quite spectacularly a few years ago, but I think it's worth a shot. So, who's in?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in.

Yeah, at the moment Underworld would probably be my pick. I read the first chapter as an excerpt (in Harpers, maybe?) years ago, but never got around to reading the whole thing.

I could NOT get through underworld, and ben read Lamb which looked really stupid (to me) so I'd rather read one of the others, preferably Ghost Map.

BTW, can i add one into the mix that i've already read but totally rocks: Devil in the White City and has a topical (Chicago) angle. Maybe everyone has already read it though. I am currently read (sort of) Omnivore's Dilemma...

can i add one into the mix that i've already read but totally rocks: Devil in the White City and has a topical (Chicago) angle. Maybe everyone has already read it though.

Jen, I love that one! I don't see a problem with re-reading a book that people might have read before, I always think I get more out of a book the second time around, anyway (part of the problem with my real-life book club: I always read the book twice before we met, while most of the other folks didn't bother finishing at all, and just brought extra bottles of wine to distract everyone else from that fact).

ed. As long as Oprah guides us to the correct book, of course.

I'm the next-best thing to Oprah, I promise. :thumbup

I'm interested. I already have a copy of "Devil In..." too, if you go with that one! I'm currently finally whipping through Cormac's "The Road," so if you fans wanna reread that, I'm down with it.

I could NOT get through underworld, and ben read Lamb which looked really stupid (to me) so I'd rather read one of the others, preferably Ghost Map.

BTW, can i add one into the mix that i've already read but totally rocks: Devil in the White City and has a topical (Chicago) angle. Maybe everyone has already read it though. I am currently read (sort of) Omnivore's Dilemma...

Devil in the White City is a great book. I bought Larson's next book, Thunderstruck, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet (for another idea).

i want to be in. i think i can be in.

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

(How come even my fiction pick has a super-long sub-title???)shot. So, who's in?

One of my desert island books. Funniest book I've ever read.

I'd be down for this, I'll suggest the Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, as I bought and haven't read it yet. My suggestions will mostly be in the lighter side, because I tend to prefer books with a sense of humor about them.

I'd be down for this, I'll suggest the Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, as I bought and haven't read it yet. My suggestions will mostly be in the lighter side, because I tend to prefer books with a sense of humor about them.

I just finished that, and it was great. Definitely not light, though, and pretty damn depressing.

As for the book club, I might give it a shot. I'm horrible at being in groups. If I join, there's a good chance you'll eventually want to kick me out. :shifty