Metallica's New Single

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the whole album on Guitar Hero?

If so, and the difference in quality is that great, I'm sure someone will just go ahead and rip the version from guitar hero and get it up on all of your favorite file sharing sites within the week.

Is the whole album on Guitar Hero?

If so, and the difference in quality is that great, I'm sure someone will just go ahead and rip the version from guitar hero and get it up on all of your favorite file sharing sites within the week.

That I don't know - but you are right, it will be, or probably is already is out there. There is also a vinyl version of the release.

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but these guys are about as far from this comment as they can be. They "clicked" in the 1980's with no airplay, not a lot of marketing support while playing a brand of music that was not in flavor. They built their fan base the old fashioned way, they toured and toured and toured while sales of their albums slowly grew and grew until the albums were selling millions. They definately did not exploit the "angst" atmosphere of the 1990's as you seem to think.

i am beginning to think that bands, rock stars ect. are like sports figures. they make too much money. it's utterly disgusting. i don't give a shit how much they toured. that's what you do in a band. most people work a lot harder in a lot less fun jobs and never 'make it'. they are mediocre musicians at best and for them to make the money they do is a condemnation of our priorities in society. and they did exploit the 'angst' of the 90s. jesus christ, what do you call the black album, load, reload. that huge change in direction was totally in response to nirvana ect.

i am beginning to think that bands, rock stars ect. are like sports figures. they make too much money. it's utterly disgusting. i don't give a shit how much they toured. that's what you do in a band. most people work a lot harder in a lot less fun jobs and never 'make it'. they are mediocre musicians at best and for them to make the money they do is a condemnation of our priorities in society. and they did exploit the 'angst' of the 90s. jesus christ, what do you call the black album, load, reload. that huge change in direction was totally in response to nirvana ect.

The money they make is what we the fans are willing to pay them. If they fill the seats and rotate product through the bins they make more money. Same thing for athletes. While I do believe that in each sport there are only a handful of athletes who do draw fans (Michael Jordan, Tiger, Kobe, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Sammy when he played etc

The Black Album was released before Nirvana broke. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but you are not making a good argument against them at all Rider.

point taken on the black album. but no response to the rest of my argument? just 'not a good argument' ?

The money they make is what we the fans are willing to pay them. If they fill the seats and rotate product through the bins they make more money. Same thing for athletes. While I do believe that in each sport there are only a handful of athletes who do draw fans (Michael Jordan, Tiger, Kobe, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Sammy when he played etc
point taken on the black album. but no response to the rest of my argument? just 'not a good argument' ?

Your argument is arbitrary to the point of ridiculousness. "Mediocre" musicians, as bobbob pointed out, is just wrong, and "for them to make the money they do is a condemnation of our priorities in society" sounds like you have issues with something larger than Metallica.

If technical skill were the driving force I would never have even considered listening to the replacements or crazy horse, yet both are among my all-time favorites. The whole skill on their instruments argument has been elusive to me for years. I like what I like regardless of the skill with which it is played,.

I take great issue with the statement that Kirk Hammett is a mediocre musician. That dude can play the shit out of a guitar.

he's not distinguishable. there's no difference between kirk and any other metal player. he may be a bit rawer. that's it. play some phil collin from def leppard and kirk from tallica and i bet we couldn't tell the difference.

I think Cliff was probably the best musician in the band. Lars drumming is not that great, really. I think the band's strength is in riffs/rhythms, not leads.

i actually like the riffs on st. anger. just the lyrics and of course the 'loudness'...

part of the problem is us fans agreeing to pay too much for stuff. its just ridiculous. and as far as the 90s go, i really think metallica was part of that angst alternative movement. they may have not been grunge, but their music became more commercial and accessible and i think they got lumped in with the whole lot including pearl jam, sound garden, nirvana, etc. this was probably due to a bit of marketing and metallica's purposeful change in direction.

I agree about the price of concerts. I generally don't go to any shows larger than club show because the value is no longer there for me. Even for bands I love.

It appears that their more accessable music is not being accessed by their fans as much. Figure if Load was not the follow up to Black, then it might have sold a lot less than it did. To me though it looks like lots of long time fins abandoned the band in the 1990's & new millenium.

Album (Year Released) Millions sold Month Certified

Metallica (1991) 14 December 2003

...And Justice For All (1988) 8 June 2003

Master of Puppets (1986) 6 June 2003

Garage Inc. (1998) 5 January 2000

Ride The Lightning (1984) 5 June 2003

Load (1996) 5 June 2003

S & M (1999) 5 June 2003

Kill 'Em All (1983) 3 March 1999

Reload (1997) 3 November 1998

St. Anger (2003) 2 July 2003

Garage Days Revisited(1987) 1 July 1990

Fuck technical skill - you can't listen to Master of Puppets and even finish the word 'mediocre' in your head because it exploded.

Enough said, lock this fucker.

I think Cliff was probably the best musician in the band. Lars drumming is not that great, really. I think the band's strength is in riffs/rhythms, not leads.

I have no clue as to his musical skill, but he defiantely had a more adventerous musical pallette than the rest of the guys.

I also think they will never top Master of Puppets - that is quite a feat - going from Kill Em All to that, if you think about it. I think they are this generation's AC/DC, that is, regardless of the albums they put out, they will always sell a lot of albums, and do big business on the road.

Other than Iron Maiden, I can't readily think of another band from around that time that remains so popular. I think most of the bands from that era, if they are still together, are playing in sports bars, and do summer shed tours. They may do well, but are not exactly critically exclaimed.