Metallica's New Single

Didn't see anything on this or the new album. the song is totally compelling and well-produced. tried several times to get into 'tallica in the past to no avail. actually checked out a bit of their last album and it's pretty interesting. :rock

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first half is typical 90's sounding Metallica (especially James' vocals), the last 1/3 or so gets down to business and is pretty reminiscent of Puppets/Justice-era

but that said, the song feels thrown together and kind of haphazard, plus the lyrics are pretty crap in spots.

certainly better than the shit that was St. Anger, and the last 1/3 is better than anything post Black Album, but still far from great.

as for the production, Lars' drum sound (the snare especially), still sounds pretty poor (not as horrible as St. Anger's at least tho)

I just read a piece about the new record in the LA Times. I have to say I'm actually excited to hear the new one.

i am too. the production is not the best, but at least its dry and not all crapped up like 90s or 80s style metal. i like it. guess it's what i am looking for at this point. all good critiques though.

i think the conclusion most people i know have been coming to, regardless of how they put it, is "well... it doesn't suck as band as St. Anger and is the best thing they've done post-Black album at least". it seems like somewhat damning praise :lol

i think the conclusion most people i know have been coming to, regardless of how they put it, is "well... it doesn't suck as band as St. Anger and is the best thing they've done post-Black album at least".

Yeah, that's just about my take on it, too :)

I was just reading the book about the making of the film - pretty heavy stuff. It's pretty funny to read what Ross Halfin has to say about Lars on his blog from time to time.

what book is that? the movie was really interesting.

I like "The Day That Never Comes"; sounds a little like "One" in certain aspects, but good none the less. They released a new song or part of the song on their site recently, "My Apocalypse". Freaking great! Sounds a bit like Slayer too.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601136

See my post above - you can find (almost) anything on Youtube these days.

I think these songs are crap - particularity Lars' drum sound and drumming.

See my post above - you can find (almost) anything on Youtube these days.

You post wasn't there when I started my post. Either way.

I think these songs are crap - particularity Lars' drum sound and drumming.

We'll see how the rest of the album sounds. I like these two.

No way - I am always first.

It's probably that I am just not interested in their music anymore - not something I would really listen to these days. On some other boards I look at people are saying about the same thing as we are saying here.

• 2 weeks later...

finally listened to this full thing...

it's definitely light years better than St. Anger, Re-Load, and Load, no doubt about that.

and if Hetfield's vocals and lyrics weren't the total weakspot of the record, it might actually compare to pre 90's Metallica, but as such, it's merely just a very good record that employs a number of recycled riffs/ideas but certainly not without a handful of embarassing moments. if Hetfield would stop doing the f'n annoying as hell "aaahhhh" after every line that would at least help.

kinda shocked that i like it as much as i do, because i really don't care about Metallica in 2008 (or at least didn't for the last 12-13 years).

solid 7.5/10 album

yeah, even if a ton of it is totally recycled from their 80's selves, it's still catchy and gritty as hell riffs.

the songs themselves aren't super super strong save for a few, but i've always felt that as much as i love/loved their 80's records, songwriting-wise a lot of their 90's stuff is superior in terms of lyrics and hooks, just musically it was never nearly as fulfilling.

yeah, even if a ton of it is totally recycled from their 80's selves, it's still catchy and gritty as hell riffs.

the songs themselves aren't super super strong save for a few, but i've always felt that as much as i love/loved their 80's records, songwriting-wise a lot of their 90's stuff is superior in terms of lyrics and hooks, just musically it was never nearly as fulfilling.

Who really cares about James Hetfield's deep lyrical musings, anyway? :lol