Need to buy an Amp!

Im looking to buy a tube amp but i dont know much about buying them. Im looking for a decent one, preferably 30 watts or above for around 900-1000 dollars. I use a Gibson SG and a Fender Telecaster and i like really warm tones. I was looking at the Vox amps, and i would love to get one of those but im still not sure of the price. Can anyone help??

I'll put in my usual plug for THD amps. I own a Univalve and love it. It is okay for small gigs/jams, studio and bedroom playing, but I'd go for a BiValve if you play out a lot. What i love about THD amps is that you can very easily swap out tubes without the need for re-biasing. This makes the amp very versatile. You can literally switch out, say Fender-y tubes for Marshall-y tubes song-to-song. When I first got my UniValve I got a bit of an addiction to buying tubes off eBay to try out different sounds. I now have a very unique tone as my standard tone having mixed and matched tubes from different "sorts" of amps. It also has a built in attenuator making it perfect if you have easily disturbed neighbors.

I'll put in my usual plug for THD amps. I own a Univalve and love it. It is okay for small gigs/jams, studio and bedroom playing, but I'd go for a BiValve if you play out a lot. What i love about THD amps is that you can very easily swap out tubes without the need for re-biasing. This makes the amp very versatile. You can literally switch out, say Fender-y tubes for Marshall-y tubes song-to-song. When I first got my UniValve I got a bit of an addiction to buying tubes off eBay to try out different sounds. I now have a very unique tone as my standard tone having mixed and matched tubes from different "sorts" of amps. It also has a built in attenuator making it perfect if you have easily disturbed neighbors.

The THDs are nice, but still a little pricy for me. Im looking for a combo i think, just 2x12 due to space restrictions.

I used to dislike them, but I've since become impressed with Fender's Hot Rod series -- just good, solid amps. You might also look at the Deluxe Reverb Reissue and the Vox AC15 (or wait a while and save up for an AC30 -- only get the Celestion Blue versions).

the Deluxe Reverb Reissue

That's what I have. It's awesome. It's only 22 watts, but it cranks out some volume.

A lot pf people love the Peavey Classic 30. That was on my short list when i was looking for amps, but I never found a used one.

A 2X12 amp might be harder to find. Unless I'm mistaken, everything that's been mentioned so far is 1X12 (except maybe the THD...I'm not familiar with those). The fender hot rod series has a 4X10 that sounds great, but it's kind of large.

That's what I have. It's awesome. It's only 22 watts, but it cranks out some volume.

A lot pf people love the Peavey Classic 30. That was on my short list when i was looking for amps, but I never found a used one.

A 2X12 amp might be harder to find. Unless I'm mistaken, everything that's been mentioned so far is 1X12 (except maybe the THD...I'm not familiar with those). The fender hot rod series has a 4X10 that sounds great, but it's kind of large.

I've got the Hot Rod Deville 4x10. It has some good points and bad points

good- great sound. killer cleans and tons of headroom. works great with pedals. it's relatively cheap. it's been very reliable. reverb sounds great.

bad-HEAVY, this thing weighs a ton and it's not exactly small. sucks at low volume, when you play at a practice volume, or anything below "3" the highs disappear and it just sounds like poo. the drive channel is a joke, you'll have to use pedals for your drive and distortion because the built-in drive is terrible. you can have it modded but i haven't don so yet.

I forgot about the Classic 30. Great Amp. It's got the EL84 power tubes giving it a slightly different character (more Vox-y) than the rounder Fenders.

The Classic 50 is a 2x12 and one of the Hot Rods is a 2x12.

All the overdrive channels are kinda lacking in these amps, but the clean channels are quite nice. I have the DRRI also. Most of the time I love it.

Personally, i prefer this amp over all mentioned (the fender DRRI), i have 2 of them...eats up tubes like a fiend but its worth it in spades...i have a vox ac30cc1 and think the fender out performs it

Personally, i prefer this amp over all mentioned (the fender DRRI), i have 2 of them...eats up tubes like a fiend but its worth it in spades...i have a vox ac30cc1 and think the fender out performs it

I haven't had to replace any tubes in mine yet. What do you recommend for replacements? Price?

I've been thinking about a new amp too. Something louder than my 20w Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues, that can crank out distortion that's not too, well... Bluesy. It would also need to have good cleans and it shouldn't distort too soon, because I use clean just as much as dirty. Maybe I'm aiming too high?

I haven't had to replace any tubes in mine yet. What do you recommend for replacements? Price?

I was using JJs ($25 a pair), which sound pretty good to my ears (much better than the GT stock tubes), however i found an ebay deal for 8 old RCA and GEs, they sound terrific...if you dont mind spending more its well worth it to get NOS tubes, just be careful with the reputability of the vendor