The Baseball Project

Best album for 2008? Amp cranked up to 11 and yep I'll go for this beauty

The Baseball Project had its origins way back in 1992 when musicians Scott McCaughey (the Minus 5, the Young Fresh Fellows) and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate, Gutterball) met and discovered they shared a passionate interest in baseball. The plan to make an album of original modern rock songs about the fascinating stories and stars of America's pastime sat on the back burner, though, until 2007, when the pair sat down in earnest to write and record the project. Drafting in drummer Linda Pitmon (Miracle Three, Golden Smog) and longtime friend and guitarist Peter Buck (R.E.M.), McCaughey and Wynn recorded The Baseball Project, Vol. 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails at Jackpot! Studios with engineer and producer Adam Selzer, and the result was an often tongue-in-cheek set of narrative songs about baseball legends Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, Satchel Paige, and others. The album was finally released on Yep Roc in 2008.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I stayed away from the Baseball Project, for a long time, the reason is, I don't care much about the sport so I was reluctant to listen to this music. I was wrong. I have yet to find a song I don't like on "High and Inside". Literally, it rocks.

1976 has a beautiful riff. Fair Weather Fans is very upbeat (I like the female vocals here), Don't Call Them Twinkies is a rocker of the finest class while Tony (Boston's Chosen Son) has a darkness that reminded me of Nick Cave's songs.

Here Lies Carl Mays is a slow ballad that makes a perfect closer to the album. I like the lyrics of Twilight of My Career.

Peter Buck's guitar resonates everywhere while Linda Pitman is an excellent drummer.

I've read reviews where they say the the previous album, Volume 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails is better. I can't wait to listen to that one.

I stayed away from the Baseball Project, for a long time, the reason is, I don't care much about the sport so I was reluctant to listen to this music. I was wrong. I have yet to find a song I don't like on "High and Inside". Literally, it rocks.

1976 has a beautiful riff. Fair Weather Fans is very upbeat (I like the female vocals here), Don't Call Them Twinkies is a rocker of the finest class while Tony (Boston's Chosen Son) has a darkness that reminded me of Nick Cave's songs.

Here Lies Carl Mays is a slow ballad that makes a perfect closer to the album. I like the lyrics of Twilight of My Career.

Peter Buck's guitar resonates everywhere while Linda Pitman is an excellent drummer.

I've read reviews where they say the the previous album, Volume 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails is better. I can't wait to listen to that one.

Hey bittersweet me...if you are in the NYC/NJ area they are playing Maxwells on April 10 with both Peter Buck and Mike Mills performing at that show...