The Almost-Official NHL 2008-09 Season Thread

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be awesome to see Montreal win the cup this year....if Dallas can't of course

It'll be so sad for you guys when the B's knock the Habs out of the playoffs this year ;)

Except for maybe Dallas, the NHL has no place in the American south, it will never work...

It's sad that the NHL wants to expand to Kansas City

Dallas draws very well, but of course they didnt like 12 years ago before they got good

Im excited about KC cuz its only 3 hours away....another great place for an NHL team would be Omaha, NE...they have an amazing arena and games with the Omaha Lancers of the USHL and Univeristy of Nebraska-Omaha draw really well....KC & Omaha would both support the NHL really well

hey Dr. Canuck,

You're a cool guy and I love discussing hockey with you.

That being said, I hope you'll still wanna chat about hockey tonight after my Bruins make themselves at home in Vancouver.

Also, the only good thing the Canucks have ever done was trade Cam Neely to the Bruins...thanks for that. ;)

Before:

one_neely03.jpg

After:

neely2yw.jpg

Believe me, there is still a lot of people in Vancouver who are very bitter about that trade. Now there's comparisons to Lucic as the next Neely, they're both BC boys, won memorial cups here. Vancouver had two second round draft picks that year, both higher then where Lucic went... and they traded them away for players that didn't work out. :angry Vancouver's drafting has always been terrible, with Neely, Linden, and Bure being the three best players to be drafted. Now that I write this, all three were at one point, traded away by some chump.

Neely one of the best players to ever put on a Nuck's jersey or a Bruin's jersey (and the best to put on both ;)).

Believe me, there is still a lot of people in Vancouver who are very bitter about that trade. Now there's comparisons to Lucic as the next Neely, they're both BC boys, won memorial cups here. Vancouver had two second round draft picks that year, both higher then where Lucic went... and they traded them away for players that didn't work out. :angry Vancouver's drafting has always been terrible, with Neely, Linden, and Bure being the three best players to be drafted. Now that I write this, all three were at one point, traded away by some chump.

Neely one of the best players to ever put on a Nuck's jersey or a Bruin's jersey (and the best to put on both ;)).

wow, you took that in-jest-insult much better than I expected.

Yeah, Lucic is great, a bit overhyped for where he is, but great. In two or three years he'll be a beast. My only concern is the Bruins management.

wow, you took that in-jest-insult much better than I expected.

It was either seeing that ugly flying V jersey... or I am finally maturing. Probably the jersey.

Ok, maybe not gloating. A 1-0 game was kind of a snoozer. Tim Thomas is the most underrated goalie in the league, that was frustrating to watch... but I can't complain, that game could have gone either way.

Ok, maybe not gloating. A 1-0 game was kind of a snoozer. Tim Thomas is the most underrated goalie in the league, that was frustrating to watch... but I can't complain, that game could have gone either way.

A major snooze-fest, but Thomas was great. Good 2 points. Good overall effort by both clubs

I didn't realize Boston played the trap so much. It was almost like watching the Wild... almost. That would be my one complaint about them.

That game would have been epic if Sanford and Fernandez played instead of Luongo and Thomas.

EDIT: In risk of offending Walken, I will say this: while I like a lot of Boston players, Thomas, Lucic, Savard, Kessel, Bergeron, and Chara.... Claude Julien is my least favorite coach in the NHL.

EDIT 2: On second thought, Jacques Lemaire is, but Julien is a close second. I don't get how a market like Boston, who obviously have attendance problems, can have a great line up but go with a coach like Claude Julien (what I mean is, the best way to get more attendance is to play exciting hockey... unless you are the Canadian market), when a guy like Pat Quinn is sitting back, living in North Van doing nothing.

I have been wearing my Mike Richter jersey for the last 48 hours or so.

Cam Neely is a legend but its hard not to think "kick his ass C Bass" when you see him!

There's a guy who goes to a lot of games that wears a #8 Bruins jersey with Seabass on the back haha

I didn't realize Boston played the trap so much. It was almost like watching the Wild... almost. That would be my one complaint about them.

That game would have been epic if Sanford and Fernandez played instead of Luongo and Thomas.

EDIT: In risk of offending Walken, I will say this: while I like a lot of Boston players, Thomas, Lucic, Savard, Kessel, Bergeron, and Chara.... Claude Julien is my least favorite coach in the NHL.

EDIT 2: On second thought, Jacques Lemaire is, but Julien is a close second. I don't get how a market like Boston, who obviously have attendance problems, can have a great line up but go with a coach like Claude Julien (what I mean is, the best way to get more attendance is to play exciting hockey... unless you are the Canadian market), when a guy like Pat Quinn is sitting back, living in North Van doing nothing.

I hear ya, but, Claude got us to the playoffs last year, and came darn close to beating the Habs.

we have a young core, that are pretty exciting, they need a little seasoning, and Claude will let go of the lease a bit.

we all love exciting hockey, but losing 6-4 doesn't work for me. A 2-1 Bruin win does.

the B's finally look to be on the right road.

Walken, what ya feel about Shanny ? He's old, but I'd love him on the Bruins NOW.

he could pot 20 easy, playing with Savard.

I hear ya, but, Claude got us to the playoffs last year, and came darn close to beating the Habs.

we have a young core, that are pretty exciting, they need a little seasoning, and Claude will let go of the lease a bit.

we all love exciting hockey, but losing 6-4 doesn't work for me. A 2-1 Bruin win does.

the B's finally look to be on the right road.

Walken, what ya feel about Shanny ? He's old, but I'd love him on the Bruins NOW.

he could pot 20 easy, playing with Savard.

I never understood the "boring" style of hockey criticism of Claude. He's the first Bruins coach since Mike Milbury that I've thrown my full support behind. It's not flashy, but it's gritty hockey. I never find their style ugly. But that's just me, and I'm addicted. haha.

I do understand that a more exciting brand of hockey would sell more tickets, but a winning brand would also sell some seats. So far I'm happy this season. I'll finish this point with one other note: Bellichick's style of winning championships for the Pats (prior to Moss, because well...they didn't win *sigh*) was never flashy, but it worked.

You know, Shanny would be good as a Bruin, but I don't know where we'd put him. First line? Then he'd have very high expectations. Knowing what I know about Chiarelli he probably won't be willing to offer much for a rental like Shanahan. And I can't blame him, this team's youth and talent puts us a year or two removed from a serious cup run, that is if the management doesn't screw it up. And I honestly can't see that happening, the time for rebuilding this team is done, it's time to start showing people what they can do. I'm so excited about the core of this team.

Shanahan would be good on any team with a young core... LA, Chicago, Boston, hell maybe even Pittsburgh... purely for his leadership qualities. He shouldn't really be brought in to a team expecting to produce. Somehow I think he'll end up with the Blues though.

Speaking about old players, I still think Sundin will be a Canuck. They're one of the only teams with the cap space, and a spot open (Sedin/Sedin/Bernier - Raymond/Sundin/Demitra) and a chance to make a huge impact. I'm bringing this up though cause he was at the Nucks @ Kings game last night and reportedly spoke with Mike Gillis. I don't know why everyone is so sure he'll end up with the Rangers. They don't have the cap space and they are already pretty 'stacked' at centre. The obvious answer would be to move Gomez (but who would take his 7 million dollar contract) but why? They have the best record in the league so far.

any sabres fans on the board????

off to a great start (minus the last two clunkers against the sens and lightning...)

I'm a Sabre admirer. They've got a good team, and a great goalie. They'll be a staple in the Eastern Conference elite for a while.