The Almost-Official NHL 2008-09 Season Thread

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was set up to get fired, he had to go 4-0 or else.

looks like a panic move, but we see

nice comeback by the Bruins, they lose in OT, but tying it in the last 45 sec is nice

Or, since Bowman is there, he realized Savard couldn't coach. I'll trust Bowman on this one.

Walken, what's up with Boston? I'm watching Toronto vs Boston on TSN right now and I've never seen so many empty seats. I bet ticket prices must be cheap.

wow. There are a ton of empty seats.

That's the Jacobs family for you. They jacked prices up after last year's playoff appearance. They complain about not having enough fans, but they don't make it easy for fans to afford tickets to more than one game. I'm going to about 10 games this year (one in Montreal too), but all of those seats are under a student discount. The season opener was sold out, and it was a great atmosphere.

Last year the cheapest tickets were $10, this year: $16.50 for last row on some games, $26.50 next 3-7 rows down. Gross. Plus, any "Gold" games (like Canadiens, Red Wings, etc.) the price for last row goes up to $33.50.

The Bruins' fan base is very limited because so many people are tired of disappointment, and when they can follow the Sox, Celts, and Pats, why bother with the Bruins?

But there are still some die hards, but you won't see us buying the $200 seats.

yeah i miss the Bourque-Neely-Moog-Janney days.

don't we all.

But I am loving the Chara-Bergeron-Thomas-Savard days, they just gotta tighten up a bit, last night's showing was awful.

wow. There are a ton of empty seats.

That's the Jacobs family for you. They jacked prices up after last year's playoff appearance. They complain about not having enough fans, but they don't make it easy for fans to afford tickets to more than one game. I'm going to about 10 games this year (one in Montreal too), but all of those seats are under a student discount. The season opener was sold out, and it was a great atmosphere.

Last year the cheapest tickets were $10, this year: $16.50 for last row on some games, $26.50 next 3-7 rows down. Gross. Plus, any "Gold" games (like Canadiens, Red Wings, etc.) the price for last row goes up to $33.50.

The Bruins' fan base is very limited because so many people are tired of disappointment, and when they can follow the Sox, Celts, and Pats, why bother with the Bruins?

But there are still some die hards, but you won't see us buying the $200 seats.

The empty seat thing is weird. Happened in Detroit last year a bit. Very strange on a Stanley Cup run. Maybe everyone was in the can.

For the life of me I still can't figure out why Detroit is in the Western conference!

The empty seat thing is weird. Happened in Detroit last year a bit. Very strange on a Stanley Cup run. Maybe everyone was in the can.

For the life of me I still can't figure out why Detroit is in the Western conference!

I have no idea. I also can't figure out why Florida is in the NHL haha

Go Stars! My boys are a dark horse for the cup this year I think. I will say Stars over Penguins in the SC Finals

Crosby for MVP

Marty Turco for Vezina

At this early on in the season, I'd say San Jose, Detroit, or Dallas are the likely team to appear in the finals from the west. But that always changes due to injuries, players performances (some players get magically better, look at Ryan Kesler or Alex Burrows some get worse, look at anyone that's ever signed to Toronto), and trade deadlines (also: luck). They look good though, real good. I've always had a lot of respect for Dallas, they're always fun to watch plus: Modano is a legend.

That was a terrible commercial, oh God. The 70's were a horrible time to some people.

Anyways, Super Saturday is done. I thought it was great, I like the idea of all 30 teams playing in one day, once a season.

I don't think anyone would care if the following teams were cut from the NHL, making room for more Canadian teams:

Thrashers, Bluejackets, Panthers, Predators, Islanders, Coyotes.

Get more teams in Canada.

I presume there was a reason the Nordiques and Jets left Canada, and I will further presume that reason was money. Is Canada now in a position to support another one or two teams?

The Canadian dollar was really really low in the mid-90s, which is part of the reason why the Jets and Nordiques left. Also the NHL figured moving teams out of places with snow and ice and into places with sunshine and beaches was a good idea (Minnesota North Stars, Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg, all moved to the south). The NHL returning to Winnipeg is inevitable, it will happen. There is a strong push to bring the NHL into Hamilton, Ontario (via Nashville). There's also a lot of speculation about a second team in Toronto, which, as much as I would hate it, would probably work. I still believe that given the history of hockey and the success of WHL teams, both Seattle (the first city in America to win the Stanley Cup) and Portland (the Rose Buds almost won the cup) would work great with NHL teams. Especially Seattle, now that the Sonics are gone. Except for maybe Dallas, the NHL has no place in the American south, it will never work...

It's sad that the NHL wants to expand to Kansas City and Las Vegas. Really, the NHL should lose 4-6 teams and relocate a few. Expansion by subtraction as they say.

I don't think anyone would care if the following teams were cut from the NHL, making room for more Canadian teams:

Thrashers, Bluejackets, Panthers, Predators, Islanders, Coyotes.

Get more teams in Canada.

I would care.