Rock and Roll myths

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete is a great rhythm player and a good (but not great) lead player.

If you define great as technical prowess then perhaps pete is not that great. But if you define is as adding the right touches in the right spots with guitar then Pete is great. I happen to think he is great. Ditto for Neil Young who gets called out from time to time for not being a technical wizard.

God bless you, my son. That's what matters.

Agreed.

But that said, there are no parts of his (lead-wise) that jump out at me immediately. However, I can will and do rock to the acoustic intro to "Pinball Wizard".

pure emotion

This reminds me of Eddie Wilson (Michael Pare) in Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives as he explains putting emotion into songs rather than technical wizardry. It's actually not a bad movie and I agree with much of the "philosophy" in it.

Oh my god, did I just reference Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives?

Which brings me to another rock and roll myth, Eddie didn't die in that car crash in the first movie.

Pete is a great rhythm player and a good (but not great) lead player.

Period.

Besides, it's his songwriting... now, that is a thing of beauty.

Oh and one more myth to explode:

Jimmy Page played the guitar solo on The Kinks' "You Really Got Me".

I remember Ray Davies saying something to the effect of, "If Page played that solo then I produced all of Led Zeppelin's albums".

I'll just say that proves my point that they fit in seemlessly in the irght places at the right times.

Yes.

But, for me, a great lead guitar player should grab me by the throat and squeeze every last bit of emotion out of the song.

(example: Ira Kaplan on "Pablo & Andrea"... brings it to a higher place. And yet, most guitar players would not place him among the most technically proficient.)

But, maybe this is for a different thread?

Yes.

But, for me, a great lead guitar player should grab me by the throat and squeeze every last bit of emotion out of the song.

(example: Ira Kaplan on "Pablo & Andrea"... brings it to a higher place. And yet, most guitar players would not place him among the most technically proficient.)

But, maybe this is for a different thread?

I know what you are saying and for me it depends on the song. Does the lead fit in? Is it tasteful? etc...

I know what you are saying and for me it depends on the song. Does the lead fit in? Is it tasteful? etc...

PS - Did I already say that I love Pete?

(just bought A Quick One last week.)

30 Rock is funny as fuck and Ricky Gervais is not a fat, unfunny, useless twat.

Wow. You must have the worst sense of humour in the world. Big fan of Friends and Two and a Half Men, are we? The Scary Movie series? Hot Shots Part Deux?

My contribution to the thread: Bob Dylan crashed his motorcycle in Woodstock in 1966; he didn't have a meltdown because of hitting the road too hard with way too many drugs in his system.