This Sunday will be the final strip of Opus (formerly Bloom County).

Kinda sad, I think. It was a GREAT cartoon in its heyday.

Berkeley Breathed, the cartoonist, says he's bowing out for 2 reasons, one being that the newspaper just isn't as big anymore...especially for cartoons.

I found an article that elaborates on the other reason:

Apart from changes in the newspaper industry, the other big factor in his decision to quit is the nasty tenor of the current presidential campaign.

"What made it immediate and clear was the unpleasantness in our national discourse, which I get deeply sucked into because I'm far more of an editorial cartoonist than a strip cartoonist by nature. In my heart, I would rather be Charles Schulz than Michael Moore, but I've got far more of the latter big bastard in me. And he will not leave."

Breathed doesn't think the nastiness will end when a new president is sworn in.

"People are angry and frightened, and the things that they're saying are only going to get worse, because the problems are going to get worse. The election will not stop it. And I don't want Opus to succumb to it. I'm wanting to kill the penguin in order to save it. Although I'm not killing him. He's becoming part of the ages.

"Now is the time to get out and leave the sweet little bastard the way people would like to remember him, and how I would like to remember him, before he inevitably gets drawn into my bitterness, which I cannot seem to divorce myself from in cartooning. I can do it in children's books, which explains 'Pete & Pickles.' There's not a cynical bone in that book."

Here's one my favorite strips:

bloomcounty.jpg

Bloom County is one of my all-time favorites. I met Breathed when I was a kid and he signed my copy of the 'Babylon' compilation - dedicated to me and my dog. Interesting that he's so self-aware. I think his more negative feelings have definitely pervaded Opus, and I never enjoyed it nearly as much as Bloom County.

hands down my favorite cartoon ever. all my books look like they've been through the washing machine.

this thread made my day (even though sad about it's topic). I know what I'll be reading tonight.

in my dreams

you're all I sees

boobs butt and knees

be my main squeeze

-Steve Dallas

That's hilarious. One of the all-time great Bloom County moments.

I always loved Oliver Wendall Jones, the smart computer whiz kid. Hysterical.

For those who don't know, Breathed has some kid's books out. I love his full-color illustrations.

One of his recent stories, "Mars Needs Moms" was bought by Disney and is supposed to start production next year with Rober Zemekis at the head, using stop-action animation like Polar Express.

Does anyone else have the Billy and the Boingers 45 ? From the "Bootleg" book? That's around here somewhere.

Quite a few Bloom County books here - I loved this stuff.

Does anyone else have the Billy and the Boingers 45 ? From the "Bootleg" book? That's around here somewhere.

Quite a few Bloom County books here - I loved this stuff.

I must. I have a signed copy of that book. Not that I could play it on anything. :dontgetit

Bloom County was the greatest strip ever. I still have all the books somewhere. (not sure where that Billy &the Boingers record is)

Haven't read in years. Is this "Opus" strip the same as Outland, or whatever the one that immediately followed BC was called? Never could get into that one.

Yep.

Haven't read in years. Is this "Opus" strip the same as Outland, or whatever the one that immediately followed BC was called? Never could get into that one.

Nope. That was the primary vehicle for "Ronald Ann" and Milquetoast the Cockroach.

Bloom Co. is just behind Peanuts as my all time fav. strip. And yeah, earlier this year I came across my stuffed Opus (in a Santa hat?) and Bill.

I will always carry a soft spot in my heart for Lola Granola....

Edit:

An interesting aside, when my youngest nephew was a little guy I got him a VHS of a half hour animated Bloom Co. TV Christmas special called " A wish for wings that work".

He's 21 now, six foot four and probably hovering around 300lbs. A big man.

I fully anticipate having to sit down with him again this year, as we do each holiday season, and revisiting this.

• 6 years later...