New Springsteen Jan 27th

What I find truly amazing about THE RIVER is the quality material that didn't make it...

Roulette

Dollhouse

Where The Bands Are

the amazing Loose Ends

Take 'Em As They Come

Be True (althought it did make an appearance as a B-side)

I Wanna Be With You

the rockabilly version of You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

the 'son you may kiss the bride version of Stolen Car

Cindy which has never officially appeared but is on the boot THE TIE THAT BIND which is purportedly a rough mix of an aborted album slated for a late November 1979 release.

This would have been a killer release...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally...here is the track listing for the shelved 1979 album THE TIE THAT BIND

01 - The Ties That Bind

02 - Cindy

03 - Hungry Heart

04 - Stolen Car

05 - To Be True ---we know as "Be True"

06 - The River

07 - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) --- Rockabilly version

08 - The Price You Pay

09 - I Wanna Marry You

10 - Loose Ends

Hungry Heart was written for the Ramones? As in for them to record? Or influenced by them? I never heard that.

"Hungry Heart" is a song written and performed by Bruce Springsteen on his fifth album, The River. It was released as the album's first single in 1980 and became Springsteen's first big hit of his own on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. When Springsteen met Joey Ramone in Asbury Park, New Jersey, Ramone asked him to write a song for The Ramones. Springsteen composed "Hungry Heart" that night, but decided to keep it for himself on the advice of his producer and manager, Jon Landau.
Incidentally...here is the track listing for the shelved 1979 album THE TIE THAT BIND

01 - The Ties That Bind

02 - Cindy

03 - Hungry Heart

04 - Stolen Car

05 - To Be True ---we know as "Be True"

06 - The River

07 - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) --- Rockabilly version

08 - The Price You Pay

09 - I Wanna Marry You

10 - Loose Ends

Can still be found @Jungleland

Can still be found @Jungleland

I remembered scoring this on a cd in 1996. Thought I had found the holy grail. Now it can be downloaded with ease from a torrent site.

Bootlegs (be they live recordings or lost studio stuff) have lost a bit of their luster as they become so easily available. I remember joining boot trees and waiting anxioulsly to see what leaf I was sending blanks in mailer pacs. The often poor sound of these boots didn't matter very much: it was an actual recording of a LIVE SHOW!!!

Now...you can get every show from every band from a current tour (often in multiple sources). It just isn't very exciting anymore. Forbiden fruit is often the sweetest.

I never messed such things then - but I recall seeing those sort of things for sale in a store down the street here - for 50 bucks a pop. One thing BT has done - helped stop that nonsense. Although, you can still go to bootleg stores Japan, or find places online that will gladly take hundreds of dollars from you for silver cd bootlegs. What's funny now is that these people are getting their source tracks for the bootlegs they sell from BT sites.

I never messed such things then - but I recall seeing those sort of things for sale in a store down the street here - for 50 bucks a pop. One thing BT has done - helped stop that nonsense. Although, you can still go to bootleg stores Japan, or find places online that will gladly take hundreds of dollars from you for silver cd bootlegs. What's funny now is that these people are getting their source tracks for the bootlegs they sell from BT sites.

There is a record store in a Chicago Suburb that still sells Zeppelin boots (at $30-$75 a pop), that I have seen on torrent sites.

It would be nice to see a Peter Grant or a Richard Cole type walk in the the store with a bat. Not that I condone violence, but it pretty shameless for an person (not involved with the band organization/record company) to make money off of them, especially now a days when you can get it for free. (Now getting illegal bootlegs for free on the internet is a whole different discussion.)

They even sell Dead boots, which really blows me away.

(okay back to Springsteen)

I used to buy boots at Generation Records in the Village in NYC for $20 a cd. I think it's still around, selling boots for $25-30 a cd. You'd be surprised how many music fans who are well versed in the internet yet don't know about the torrent sites.

I once bought a springsteen boot (the ROxy in 1977 78 or 79 I can't remember the exact year) for $18 when albums were going for $7. Sound wise it was ok, but it had a couple of new cuts I had never heard before including Point Blank which woudl eventually be on the RIver. I loaned it to a girl friend and we broke up so she kept it.

I used to buy boots at Generation Records in the Village in NYC for $20 a cd. I think it's still around, selling boots for $25-30 a cd. You'd be surprised how many music fans who are well versed in the internet yet don't know about the torrent sites.

True. The CD's must sell, otherwise I don't think he would sell them.

What's funny now is that these people are getting their source tracks for the bootlegs they sell from BT sites.

There's an interesting thing happening in the Springsteen trading world. For years, there were rumors of UberFans who had high quality resocrings of early shows. Reportedly theseUberFans did not circulate their tapes as they were adverse to the music showing up for sale at those outrageous prices on bootlegs.

Now, with the advent of and proliferation of BitTorrent sites, these recordings are becoming available. Now those legendary Main Point shows from 1974 are fully available in great clarity (for 34 year old recordings). Now every Bottom Line show from 1975 is available. It is great having the music, but it takes away the specialness.

The mystique is being loss with the ready availability of the music, but it is great having it available. Now we are seeing debates over the out of tune guitar in this song and the violin/guitar interplay problem in that song. We have lost site that we are hearing a recording of legnedary shows.

The internet takes away a lot of the 'innocence' of music fandom.

Let me explain my statement. Now, followers of the internet newsgroups, bulletin boards, fansites are fully aware of any 'surprise' that shows up in a set. Witness the introduction of It's Just That Simple and other AM gems on the last tour. Unless you were at the show where these were debuted you were either: a. not suprised; b. disappointed if they didn't play the rarieties on the night you saw them; or c. disappointed at the rarieties chosen.

I remember reading on the Springsteen Usenet board various items about the Reunion tour (i.e. the sharing of the mic by the band during Wait for Me. What possibly would have seemed to be a spontaneous sharing of fellowship and brotherhood was revealed to be showmanship.

Sometimes, ignorance of what is to come is a GOOD thing.

But all that being said...I will take the spoiling of little stagecraft surprises and the possibility of being further jaded with the availability of information and music. But I am not unaware that I am being changed.

Over the last few months, I have been able to get my hands on several Led Zeppelin soundboard shows and a unreleased live multi-track recording by way of so-called super fans.

Another thing that is happening more and more now - a rise in bootleg blogs. There is one I look at that has a lot of Bruce stuff on it - live and studio. I think B&P and/or Vines are pretty much dead. On another board I am on, vines were banned - as the people who run the board got tired of dealing with complaints about those who did follow through.

Hungry Heart was written for the Ramones? As in for them to record? Or influenced by them? I never heard that.

Sometimes it can be really fun sitting next to a Bruce newbie at a concert.

He broke out BECAUSE THE NIGHT at a Dallas show and there were complaints that he was covering a Patty Smith song (at least they didn't attribute it to natalie Merchant).

He broke out BECAUSE THE NIGHT at a Dallas show and there were complaints that he was covering a Patty Smith song (at least they didn't attribute it to natalie Merchant).

Really - that is funny.

And then he played that damn Manfred Mann song!

Are you calling me a Newbie because I didn't know about the Ramones connection to that song? Ok, I admit it, I am a newbie but I did not realize that was common knowledge.

And then he played that damn Manfred Mann song!

Are you calling me a Newbie because I didn't know about the Ramones connection to that song? Ok, I admit it, I am a newbie but I did not realize that was common knowledge.

Not really...because as far as I know, The Ramones never did Hungry Heart.

And as for common knowledge...there is common knowledge and COMMON KNOWLEDGE. The Hungry Heart factoid is akin to knowing that Joey Ramone asked to hear U2's In a Little While as he was passing. Not COMMON KNOWLEDGE but common knowledge.

Anyway...if you are a Bruce fan, I don't give a crap if you know the little factoids.

The fact that Bruce was writing something possibly for The Ramones in the early 80s is pretty amazing. Thinking back to that time, most people wouldn't have linked him in any way to the punk movement. But yeah, the way I recall the story is that he originally wrote it for The Ramones but after hearing the song, Landau said it was too good to give away.

Not really...because as far as I know, The Ramones never did Hungry Heart.

And as for common knowledge...there is common knowledge and COMMON KNOWLEDGE. The Hungry Heart factoid is akin to knowing that Joey Ramone asked to hear U2's In a Little While as he was passing. Not COMMON KNOWLEDGE but common knowledge.

Anyway...if you are a Bruce fan, I don't give a crap if you know the little factoids.

I wasn't complaining or anything, I like Bruce but have never delved deep into his catalogue. I can't possibly pretend to know about all the bands people talk about but I usually do pretty good on the common knowledge stuff, even for groups I don't like. I did know about the U2 song at least but that could be because I am more of a Ramones fan.

Just think of all those Eurika moments I can look forward to when I start diving into his back catalogue. My exposure to bruce has really been from others turning me onto specific songs or our band playing "thunder Road" or "Adam raised a Cain". The more I hear the more I like.

I wish the Ramones had recorded Hungry Heart actually.

I can beat that. My future wife and I went to see REM at Carbondale back on the green tour. They played a nice show and one of the encore's was the Rolling Stones Paint it Black. She looked at me and said "I didn't know this was their song".

I wasn't complaining or anything, I like Bruce but have never delved deep into his catalogue. I can't possibly pretend to know about all the bands people talk about but I usually do pretty good on the common knowledge stuff, even for groups I don't like. I did know about the U2 song at least but that could be because I am more of a Ramones fan.

Just think of all those Eurika moments I can look forward to when I start diving into his back catalogue. My exposure to bruce has really been from others turning me onto specific songs or our band playing "thunder Road" or "Adam raised a Cain". The more I hear the more I like.

I wish the Ramones had recorded Hungry Heart actually.

Of course, these days you can find this "rock trivia" stuff online. I learned it from reading thousands of rock magazines and books. Some people care about this sort of thing, some don't. I like to have conversations with those who do. As you say - there is always something to learn. I like that also.

The agent art of weaving things no one else gives a shit about.

I missed three - not bad.

I didn't know dusty springfield's real name, and I didn't know that Leslie Gore preferred girls (should've guessed Darlene Love dangit); however, I guessed right on the Standells...everthing else I freaking new.

lol