New Springsteen Jan 27th

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

I am simply estatic that Springsteen seems to be rejuvenated as he enters his fifth decade in the music business.

Act three for an icon who could have rested on his laurels TWENTY years ago.

Did I dis the song? NO!!! But if the DJ on XRT is to believed Bruce continued to record immediately after Magic was recorded, so this is material from about a year ago. Nothing wrong with that either. I am a big Bruce fan, but no longer rush out and buy his albums as I used to. (Fifth decade??.....let's see, the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. hmm...didn't think I was getting THAT old....actually it is just into the 4th decade, unless you count playing for school dances part of the music business...)

Keep the faith...!!!

LouieB

Did I dis the song? NO!!! But if the DJ on XRT is to believed Bruce continued to record immediately after Magic was recorded, so this is material from about a year ago. Nothing wrong with that either. I am a big Bruce fan, but no longer rush out and buy his albums as I used to. (Fifth decade??.....let's see, the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. hmm...didn't think I was getting THAT old....actually it is just into the 4th decade, unless you count playing for school dances part of the music business...)

Keep the faith...!!!

LouieB

In the great internet tradition...i will respond to the least important portion of our exchange...I am counting the 10's here as he will be entering the decade.

I figured I would catch an innocent bystander (in this instance---you) in the back blast for my disdain for the hipsters who think it is now cool to dismiss the Boss as a relic. Guess I am too gunshy from the crap on the Springsteen usenet groups.

These days it has become rare to find fellow tramps in the circles in which I work and socially interact. Attending a Springsteen show in May of 1976 in a concert hall that was not even close to 3/4 full, I can say I have seen more on this ride than I ever dreamed.

In the great internet tradition...i will respond to the least important portion of our exchange...I am counting the 10's here as he will be entering the decade.

I figured I would catch an innocent bystander (in this instance---you) in the back blast for my disdain for the hipsters who think it is now cool to dismiss the Boss as a relic. Guess I am too gunshy from the crap on the Springsteen usenet groups.

These days it has become rare to find fellow tramps in the circles in which I work and socially interact. Attending a Springsteen show in May of 1976 in a concert hall that was not even close to 3/4 full, I can say I have seen more on this ride than I ever dreamed.

As someone who also saw Bruce in 76 (or whenever Born to Run came out), I count myself in the same club. It is sad but true that as we get older we do become a bit of a characture of our earlier selves and Bruce is no exception I think. There have been parts of his more recent work which haven't been so hot. But Magic was a return to form of sorts, although I really only thought about half the album is really good, with the rest being just okay. The Seeger Sessions were a worthy side project, in that I grew up with alot of those songs. I didn't bother to buy Diamonds and Dust although I got a free EP which was enough. No one can keep up a steady stream of world class work over however many decades he has been going, but just like Young and Dylan, he is doing pretty damn good. (Actually Young and Dylan are in their 5th decades, but Bruce is the kid of the group at only four.)

LouieB

As someone who also saw Bruce in 76 (or whenever Born to Run came out), I count myself in the same club. It is sad but true that as we get older we do become a bit of a characture of our earlier selves and Bruce is no exception I think. There have been parts of his more recent work which haven't been so hot. But Magic was a return to form of sorts, although I really only thought about half the album is really good, with the rest being just okay. The Seeger Sessions were a worthy side project, in that I grew up with alot of those songs. I didn't bother to buy Diamonds and Dust although I got a free EP which was enough. No one can keep up a steady stream of world class work over however many decades he has been going, but just like Young and Dylan, he is doing pretty damn good. (Actually Young and Dylan are in their 5th decades, but Bruce is the kid of the group at only four.)

LouieB

I may be one of the few people who actually liked Devils and Dust. I Brendan's production worked and the overdubbing (Steve Jordan on Drums, etc.) worked for me. Long Time Coming...Maria's Bed...I liked 'em.

The solo tour was a real blast...the delta blues version of Reason to Believe sung through the harmonica mic was a real hoot. The Suicide cove r of Dream Baby Dream...sweet.

Bruce has seldom hit bum notes in his career (The production on Human Touch was WAY too intrusive and 80's and the Seegar Sessions Band tour became a little repititive in it's tone, The Ghost of Tom Joad was a little tuneless at times, Born in the USA was an unblushing sellout), but his instincts have been remarkably true over his career., He seems to begetting more prolific in his later years.

His relative lack of productivity in his early career may have kept him from releasing real and true clunkers. His search for perfection or the strength of his vision or his need forto control every aspect of his art...that drove him to heights. It gave us the sprawling two disc The River in 1980 as opposed to the single disc The Ties That Bind in 1979...almost gave us a live concert version of Born to Run instead of the studio produced masterpiece.

His muse has been his own

He has proven his worth...hipsters be damned.

Sort of an obsessed fan here (I have about a dozen Bruce books), so maybe my opinion is too heavy handed, but I for one think his current run of the last 6 years is remarkable. He is definitely a lot more fearless in his choices and willing to take more risks. "Devils and Dust," is loaded with good to great, heady topical and political tunes. That tour was way fun, I wish I had seen more than the two shows I saw. I'm not too super hot on the first two tracks from "Working on a Dream," but no E Street Band album has let me down yet and I expect no different here. I wonder if Danny Federici appears on any tracks seeing as how it's been a work in progress for over a year.

Bruce Springsteen

December 08, 2008 04:54 PM ET

Bruce Springsteen's new album leads off with one of his longest studio songs in decades. "Outlaw Pete" is eight minutes long, setting the table for "Working on a Dream," due Jan. 27 from Columbia.

Other tracks from the project get in and out much quicker, including "Tomorrow Never Knows" (2:14) and "What Love Can Do" (2:57). Late E Street Band member Danny Federici, who died in April, plays on the album, as does his son Jason.

"Working on a Dream" will be available on vinyl and in a deluxe edition featuring a DVD with 38-minutes of behind-the-scenes studio footage.

Sort of an obsessed fan here (I have about a dozen Bruce books), so maybe my opinion is too heavy handed, but I for one think his current run of the last 6 years is remarkable. He is definitely a lot more fearless in his choices and willing to take more risks. "Devils and Dust," is loaded with good to great, heady topical and political tunes. That tour was way fun, I wish I had seen more than the two shows I saw. I'm not too super hot on the first two tracks from "Working on a Dream," but no E Street Band album has let me down yet and I expect no different here. I wonder if Danny Federici appears on any tracks seeing as how it's been a work in progress for over a year.

I may not have seen Springsteen in the "prime" but I have seen him on The Ghost of Tom Joad, Tracks, Rising, Seeger Session, Devils & Dust and Magic Tours (About 20 shows in total) and have yet to be dissapointed with any release or show. Bruce is very passionate and his performances show it. I am not sure how he is a charachter of his former self...then again this is really the only Springsteen I have known. I am greatly anticipating the new tour and album!

Bring it!

:dancing

When was the last time Bruce had a good album cover? Besides the Pete Seeger thing. And Tracks doesn't count.

Nebraska maybe.

Yeah, if Tracks doesn't count....I'd go with Nebraska. He has very few good album covers in his history, but the new one looks way too much like Care Bears.

Jack

Are Bruce and Clarence still an item?

3099599236_6d04b11f72_o.jpg

page1-1.jpg

br_2.JPG

patti-scialfa-120.jpg

patti_closeup.jpg

My Bruce love is seriously on the wane. I quite liked a lot of D&D and some of those Seeger things but the last release I really loved was Tom Joad. That Magic album was gruesome.

I was just thinking - for a dude who has been making albums since the early 1970s, he has not officially released that many albums - if you don't count live albums, compilations, vault releases, etc:

1973: Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.

1973: The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle

1975: Born to Run

1978: Darkness on the Edge of Town

1980: The River

1982: Nebraska

1984: Born in the U.S.A.

1986: Live/1975-85

1987: Tunnel of Love

1988: Chimes of Freedom

1992: Human Touch

1992: Lucky Town

1993: In Concert/MTV Plugged

1995: The Ghost of Tom Joad

1995: Greatest Hits

1996: Blood Brothers

1998: Tracks

1999: 18 Tracks

2001: Live in New York City

2002: The Rising

2003: The Essential Bruce Springsteen

2005: Devils & Dust

2006: We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

2006: Hammersmith Odeon London '75

2007: Live in Dublin

2007: Magic

2009: Working on a Dream

I suppose I will always prefer the following over everything else:

1973: Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.

1973: The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle

1975: Born to Run

1978: Darkness on the Edge of Town

1980: The River

1982: Nebraska

The last one I bought was Devils and Dust - which I never listen to - as it won't play right in the computer cd player, and/or may have left a nasty on my computer.

I think it is a good deal that the true Bruce fans don't have to wait years for a new album/tour now. Do you guys think he will keep this up - or take a few years off after the current release/tour?

I must say I am curious to hear the 8 minute song on the new album.

The wayback machine must have landed at the laundromat again - as I found another stack of Rolling Stone magazines there this morning - one of which, had Bruce on the cover (1986).

• 2 weeks later...

Sooie, I don't think the album has leaked, but there are 30 second snippets for every song floating around, I'm skipping those.

A-Man, As for your point of Bruce having a lean catalog for someone who has been recording for 35 years there are a few reasons for that: A- the stop work order between BTR and Darkness, B- He was a notorious tinkerer and perfectionist during those first 10-12 years, C- For everything that's released there's probably a whole other album's worth unreleased due to his obsessiveness over sequencing, mood, etc from album to album, D-He definitely went through some sort of personal, cultural, etc identity crisis when he broke up the E Street Band, moved to California and put out those lackluster '92 albums.

As for the current and the future, I do see him being extremely prolific from this point on. I certainly don't think that it will all be E Street releases, but I think there are loads of shelved and half-baked projects that will see the light of day in the next few years, as well as continued new material. He has said in several interviews in the past couple of years that he feels more relaxed and at ease with writing and recording than he ever has before, and that he doesn't stress over every detail the way he once did. Lastly, I'd be stunned if he isn't involved with the inagauration in some capacity.

Sooie, I don't think the album has leaked, but there are 30 second snippets for every song floating around, I'm skipping those.

A-Man, As for your point of Bruce having a lean catalog for someone who has been recording for 35 years there are a few reasons for that: A- the stop work order between BTR and Darkness, B- He was a notorious tinkerer and perfectionist during those first 10-12 years, C- For everything that's released there's probably a whole other album's worth unreleased due to his obsessiveness over sequencing, mood, etc from album to album, D-He definitely went through some sort of personal, cultural, etc identity crisis when he broke up the E Street Band, moved to California and put out those lackluster '92 albums.

As for the current and the future, I do see him being extremely prolific from this point on. I certainly don't think that it will all be E Street releases, but I think there are loads of shelved and half-baked projects that will see the light of day in the next few years, as well as continued new material. He has said in several interviews in the past couple of years that he feels more relaxed and at ease with writing and recording than he ever has before, and that he doesn't stress over every detail the way he once did. Lastly, I'd be stunned if he isn't involved with the inagauration in some capacity.

I know - as Steve once said - "Bruce always has a half an album lying around."

And a Walmart Exclusive!

CD: Greatest Hits (Wal-Mart Exclusive)

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

New Item!

$10.00

List Price: $12.98

You Save: $2.98 (23%)

Not Sold Online

In Stock

Coming Soon

Preorders Sold Out

Out of Stock Online

Not Sold Online

This item is being discontinued. Availability is limited.

Preorder this item today and it should arrive on or just after 01/13/2009

I think that latest, greatest hits release is specific to E Street Band releases, and is being released to drum up hype for the new album and the Super Bowl. Completely and totally unnecessary in my opinion.

There's a mini-Wilco/VW type blow up happening on the Backstreets forum over the WalMart exclusivity rights for the new Greatest Hits. Lots of very valid, legitimate points, followed by lots of blowhards. And "Magic" gruesome? Really? I couldn't disagree with that more.