I'll be a tad snide here, but I just love the KOL hand wringing around here. We all sit around here talking about how underappreciated 90% of the good music we listen to is. Which is true, the vast majority of great music these days goes criminally unnoticed by the masses. However when a band that we all use to enjoy, makes the same album for the 4th time (with better songs and new haircuts) God be damned. Success in an of itself doesn't equate to selling out. Maybe they just finally nailed it. I really don't hear the difference between the new record and record # 2 for sure. I just hate this part of the hipster mindset, where once something is known it is crap. It is like tabloids, build em up to tear em down. The only exception is if a hipster friendly band makes unlistenable music to play down their once misguided chart success (Radiohead).

now as far as the bird poop, I would have put a towel over my head and carried on. People pay good money and look forward to this stuff, so don't get all germophobic on everyone, that is a little diva for my taste, but it doesn't change the music for me.

There will never be an indie rock band that achieves large scale success and still be loved by the indie rock community? Or did I miss this. There would have been Nirvana handwringing if you all were in charge 20 years ago. I know I know kol isn't indie rock. Ok? They sound completely like Nickelback. Cmon this is crap.

I've had a pigeon shit on my head before. It's gross, but it's no big deal. Backstage areas in places like that have showers. Clean up, put on a hat and get back onstage. If you still get bombarded, apologize to the audience and call off the show.

Maybe have the jumbotron camera operator point the camera at the poop puddles on the stage so the audience doesn't think you're lying (I only say that because I've seen the KOL singer turn into a prima donna onstage and flip off the audience for no appearent reason, and with no apology).

I never understand all the KOL hate (and Foo fighters I might add). I firmly believe this has to be based on only hearing the stuff they play on the radio. Granted that's what you have to go by sometimes to know if you like a band. As with many bands though, the best stuff is not on the radio. Imagine basing your decision on REM based on "The one I love" and the few other songs they play. I could see not liking KOL because of the vocals (which I love) but there is some great songwriting on those albums.

I know I'm probably wrong and many people here have based the decision to hate on an extensive listening but I'm just having a hard time understanding the hate.

They are far from Nickelback.

They do seem to be turning into prima donnas though. Put a hat on and finish the show.

Plus when we play "Sex on fire" in bars, the place just erupts.:)

I never understand all the KOL hate

Definitely a lot of good songs on the first two albums. Something about the more recent ones feels icky, though. I can't put my finger on it.

from people in the front row at that show, the opening acts got shit on numerous times and just laughed it off and moved to a diff spot on the stage.

KoL are total posers and if you read much about their backstory, they're basically a glorified boy band

sure they have a few decent songs, but on the whole they're vastly overrated

from people in the front row at that show, the opening acts got shit on numerous times and just laughed it off and moved to a diff spot on the stage.

KoL are total posers and if you read much about their backstory, they're basically a glorified boy band

I agree that KOL should have either gone on with the show, or at least handled their cancellation differently.

The opening bands would have shot themselves in the foot more by leaving the stage than KOL doing the same. They didn't have much of a choice in the situation. There's a big difference between an up-and-coming band struggling through an on-stage hardship and a famous arena act struggling through an identical on-stage hardship.

I don't really disagree with anything here.

I don't know much about their back story but doubt it would change my opinion about the music. I like the first 2 albums quite a bit, have not really listened much to the others.

They do seem to be turning into major tools the more succesful they get. I know when I saw them in concert at Red Rocks, it was the first time I have ever been to a show there where we were not allowed to take water and blankets in (which I was told came directly from the band or at least their management). Still not sure why that was the case.

I know they could barely play their instruments when they started, some of the guitar playing on that first album is just embarrasing. But I do think they write interesting and unique songs and I like the distinctive vocals.

the first two albums were produced by ethan johns i think. i like his production.

as far as the bird shit or guano :) goes...i would think this would be a problem at all the verizon wireless amphitheaters around the country, no? something we don't consider in our rock star fantasies:)

I'm thinking G.G. Allin would have finished the show.

It would have been a freaking appetizer for Allin.