The Decemberists sing about Valerie Plame

Okay, not much is happening here so let's talk about just one song, that song being the latest single from the Decemberists...

Now I have always given these folks their due; buying a few of their CDs and seeing them live on a few occasions, but despite all this I think this new song is just short of dumb, but has a very very catchy tune. I know some people can't stand Colin Meloy's voice and others think it is great, but this song brings out all the worst in him. On the other hand the somewhat irritating out front vocal stylings and somewhat goofy lyrics are backed up by some sweet instrumental arrangements including some nice banjo work. I just don't know....

LouieB

Below are the words in case you want to sing along sometime.....

Oh Valerie Plame

If that really is your name

I would just shout the same

To the world

Dear Valerie Plame

So they made a wreck of you

But give me the rest of you

And I'll give the world

But you were just some silly girl

Taking in the sights of your empire's colony

So I took you into my confidence

Without a thought of consequence

To my heart or to my mind

But Valerie Plame

To the world

La da da de da

la de da da

la de da da da da dada da

Oh Valerie Plame

From up high

Dear Valerie Plame

I'll look for that long exchange

Outside of the Bureau Change

In Shanghai

But I was just some stupid boy on a bus

When your nom de guerre was Codename Caroline

And so my Vespa became your chariot

From the Green Zone Marriott

To be etched upon my mind

But Valerie Plame

To the world

And when they flashed your picture 'cross the screen

How my heart seemed to leap out of me

And they attached a list of your identities

But the one you'll always be

Is Valerie Plame

To the world

Valerie plame

To the world

La da da da da da da.. hey hey Valerie Plame (x3)

the thing about the Decemberists is that they really sing about some stupid stuff, but thinking they are singing about really important stuff. But the end product is generally pretty enjoyable, in a pretentious art school kinda way.

But the end product is generally pretty enjoyable, in a pretentious art school kinda way.

I love the use of the word "pretentious" to describe any rock music. It's a joke, and a term that has replaced the phrase "selling out."

Sure, some of it's a little goofy, but I look forward to every direction they take. They're not a typical band and, if they're going to sing about strange topics, more power to 'em. They could always just write the same love/heartbreak song every other pop band is writing these days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't adore the Decemberists, but I enjoy them a good deal and they do put on a pretty fun live show as well.

I love the use of the word "pretentious" to describe any rock music. It's a joke, and a term that has replaced the phrase "selling out."

Sure, some of it's a little goofy, but I look forward to every direction they take. They're not a typical band and, if they're going to sing about strange topics, more power to 'em. They could always just write the same love/heartbreak song every other pop band is writing these days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't adore the Decemberists, but I enjoy them a good deal and they do put on a pretty fun live show as well.

Writing a 7 minute songs about obscure Japanese folk tales is pretentious. Simply put Colin Meloy is trying to show how smart he is. I have always felt his songs are like, look at me I know about this segment of obscure history and I am gonna put it with this outlandish cord changes for the next 9 and half minutes. That is pretentious. It is not goofy. Goofy is 2 min songs about milk. There is nothing goofy about the Decemberists.

Needless to say as I had said before, the end product is generally good.

I have always felt his songs are like, look at me I know about this segment of obscure history

Yes, that's how I view the band as well but I still really enjoy listening to them and sometimes even getting an education from the lyrics. :lol

QFT.

I'm pretty sure Colin Meloy doesn't give a rats ass what people think of his music. He writes what he likes and if it's a little goofy, more power to him. Music doesn't always have to be "important" and "serious". The song wasn't meant to be the "Sam Stone" of indie rock.

And they are goofy, you can't deny that. Look at some of their band photos and how they dress up.

I'm pretty sure Colin Meloy doesn't give a rats ass what people think of his music. He writes what he likes and if it's a little goofy, more power to him. Music doesn't always have to be "important" and "serious". The song wasn't meant to be the "Sam Stone" of indie rock.

And they are goofy, you can't deny that. Look at some of their band photos and how they dress up.

I saw them live on ACL and goofy is that last thing I would call them. In fact, they seemed so damn serious it turned me off to ever listening to them again. I'm not a big fan of epic history yarns with my rock and roll....

See, that's what I can't figure out, particularly regarding this current single. Are they serious, is this tongue in cheek, are they just goofin on us or what? If they are serious, I can see you point. Having seen them a few times they appear serious at some times and not serious at others. I just don't know.

LouieB

See, that's what I can't figure out, particularly regarding this current single. Are they serious, is this tongue in cheek, are they just goofin on us or what? If they are serious, I can see you point. Having seen them a few times they appear serious at some times and not serious at others. I just don't know.

LouieB

But it can be argued that the dichotomy between the serious and not so serious is what they do best. I feel a lot of their music is sort of tongue in cheek. That push and pull makes things so interesting. I think if you're thinking about it too academically, and the Decemberists through their presentations may be asking for that, you may be thinking too much about it. I think they are having fun being serious but not taking it too serious sometimes.

On one end of the spectrum, the serious-side for example, you can take a band like Joy Division and try to listen to their music. After awhile they become pretty one-dimensional. Then you can examine the other end of the spectrum, the not-so-serious-side for example, some band like the Bloodhound Gang and listen to their music. Again, after awhile they become pretty one dimensional. You get what I'm saying, I hope.

With the Decemberists, I think that they are a bit more complex, and yes, pretentious. I would never say that their music isn't interesting. I may not care about the Whole story behind The Crane Wife but O Valencia and Yankee Bayonet are great songs.

I saw them live on ACL and goofy is that last thing I would call them. In fact, they seemed so damn serious it turned me off to ever listening to them again. I'm not a big fan of epic history yarns with my rock and roll....

I guess that's where we see it different. I see the seriousness as part of them being goofy.

I also think if you see Colin Meloy as having the "I'm smarter than you are and I can prove it with my songs" kind of attitude, maybe you need to realize that there ARE people smarter than you (and me) and they write songs, books, and movies all the time. (This isn't directed at anyone in particular)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mbhd4LGR-g

Really? I saw them at Bonnaroo, and he had the whole crowd make big whale mouths with their arms and yell at him. Seemed pretty damn goofy to me.

I can take that dude's voice for about one song before I want to listen to something else.

LouieB

There's a big difference between being a "funny" band i.e: Ween and being a serious band with a sense of humor, which is what I consider the Decemberists to be.

And yeah, they are a little annoyingly brainy, but whenever they sing about some obscure piece of history or folk tale, it's to get a more universal theme across in a way not often heard in pop music. In the case of Valerie Plame, it borders on obnoxious, but listen back to The Crane Wife Pt. 1 and 2. Besides the song length, nothing too outrageous about that song, and what do you know? It's a stunner.

As for the rest of the singles collection, check out Part III: Record Year/Raincoat Song. Two beautiful acoustic tracks

Jesus. Ween has more musical quality in their little finger than 10 Colin Meloys.

the Decemberist are the Dennis Miller of Rock'n Roll
Right-wing, no longer funny comedians, who still think they are important??

I have seen them do the audience participation stuff also. At a show at the Riv they did something that sort of fell flat and ruined the end of the show. The obscure historical stuff is what makes them unique though....

LouieB