Black Crowes in Denver

Just saw the Black Crowes last night. Not sure what to think. They are definitely going down the jam band road. Lots of noodling and extended jams. The new music just does not hold up next to the old stuff and I miss Marc Ford. Luther Dickinson is actually really good and looks like he is enjoying thing more than the others who at timess seemed to be phoning it in. I don't know, I saw them 15 years ago and they were so much better.

They are still better than a lot of bands out there but they need to get some MOJO back. Chris Robinson still sounds really good.

Well they also brought out "Vetiver" the opening band to do "you ain't going nowhere" and a painfully long "Will the circle be unbroken". I was not impressed with "Vetiver" at all. Seemed like a really boring version of a group trying to sound like the Band.

FWIW, the jam band road is filled with noodles and extended bits but there are also one-of-a-kind moments of pure brilliance and inspiration. Imho.

I love the road they have taken, they usually don't jam too much the most you ever get is Thorn In My Pride (usually runs 15-20 mins) the rest they just extended by a few solos. Haven't seen them play any of the new tunes, but I thought the new album was pretty good. I saw them 3 times in 06 and all three times were excellent.

Just saw the Black Crowes last night. Not sure what to think. They are definitely going down the jam band road. Lots of noodling and extended jams. The new music just does not hold up next to the old stuff and I miss Marc Ford. Luther Dickinson is actually really good and looks like he is enjoying thing more than the others who at timess seemed to be phoning it in. I don't know, I saw them 15 years ago and they were so much better.

They are still better than a lot of bands out there but they need to get some MOJO back. Chris Robinson still sounds really good.

I saw them this summer at the Jackson Hole Music Festival, and I had many of the same reactions. There were many extended jams, and not just within Thorn In My Pride. (Wiser Time comes to mind, for one.) I wouldn't say they weren't tight, they just didn't have the kind of natural groove they had in the early and mid-90s. Of course, my husband is a bigger fan and thought the show was great. So maybe it's more about how I've changed since seeing them 15 years ago.

I also went with a bunch of people that are huge fans of the Crowes and have seen them dozens of times and they literally thought it was the worst Crowes show they had ever seen. The real show may have been next door at Cervantes with Alvin Youngblood Hart. That is a bad man.

I also went with a bunch of people that are huge fans of the Crowes and have seen them dozens of times and they literally thought it was the worst Crowes show they had ever seen. The real show may have been next door at Cervantes with Alvin Youngblood Hart. That is a bad man.

Dulcinea's.

Ooops, your right. (Dulcineas) Thanks! I met Alvin earlier in the evening. That is a large man.

He was much larger than he looks in pictures. I had a chance to chat with him briefly, as well (before the Crowes show). Seemed like a nice guy and man they played a nice gig.

Saw him play solo on a small side stage at the Chicago Blues Fest about 5 years ago and was completely impressed. I always wanted to catch another of his shows but haven't gotten around to it.

My first introduction of him was on a Rolling Stones tribute album, Paint it Blue (House of Blues production). His rendition of Sway and Moonlight Mile are incredible. (the whole album is actually great). Does he play Sway or Moonlight Mile (or any Stones' covers) at the shows?

My first introduction of him was on a Rolling Stones tribute album, Paint it Blue (House of Blues production). His rendition of Sway and Moonlight Mile are incredible. (the whole album is actually great). Does he play Sway or Moonlight Mile (or any Stones' covers) at the shows?

Ha! I think that was my real introduction to him, too. That album is fantastic, as are his versions of those (I need to get it again, I misplaced it years ago). I don't know if he does those tunes at his own shows, he didn't last weekend (though he was sitting in with a local band, so....).