The Record Pile Dive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles- 1. I just had the biggest urge to listen to this after letting it gather dust in the closet for at least a year. its a good idea to cleanse your musical palette with some Beatles annually or so. makes everything sound new and fresh again. :thumbup

The Beatles- 1. I just had the biggest urge to listen to this after letting it gather dust in the closet for at least a year. its a good idea to cleanse your musical palette with some Beatles annually or so. makes everything sound new and fresh again. :thumbup

As much as I love the Beatles, I can't listen to them at all now. Not quite sure why that is. Most stuff I grew up - Who, Kinks, Stones, Genesis, Yes, ELP - has aged really well for me, and I can still listen to music from those bands every once in a while.

Beatles, I just can't get through anything. Weird. And kinda sad.

Yes I do.

Bad news on the vinyl front - Last night I was listening to London Calling when my turntable bit the dust.

I've got some vintage TTs I have been planning on moving. PM me if you like.

Now we are talking. I used to listen to that all the time, but haven't in recent years.

LouieB

I was 17 when The Koln Concert came out and, during one weekend, listened to it over and over and over and read Papillon. To this day, I can't think of one without the other.

I've got some vintage TTs I have been planning on moving. PM me if you like.

whoa anything exciting??

I was 17 when The Koln Concert came out and, during one weekend, listened to it over and over and over and read Papillon. To this day, I can't think of one without the other.
Yea, it is the kind of album you can listen to over and over and hear different stuff each time too.

LouieB

whoa anything exciting??

LouieB

Well, those I don't use are:

A nice Dual 710 that was just tuned up by Harve's in Ann Arbor;

A Phillips 212 that is working perfectly;

A Thorens TD 160 MK II that I have never plugged in;

A Thorens TD 125 that I have a Rega RB 250 tonearm to mount; and,

A Thorens TD 145, also never plugged in.

Well, those I don't use are:

A nice Dual 710 that was just tuned up by Harve's in Ann Arbor;

A Phillips 212 that is working perfectly;

A Thorens TD 160 MK II that I have never plugged in;

A Thorens TD 125 that I have a Rega RB 250 tonearm to mount; and,

A Thorens TD 145, also never plugged in.

Hey Zeus man, you are a regular hi fi dealer.....

What DO you use? All those sound really sweet. I have Duals, but I really don't know that much about Thorens, but I am sure they are great.

LouieB

Hey Zeus man, you are a regular hi fi dealer.....

What DO you use? All those sound really sweet. I have Duals, but I really don't know that much about Thorens, but I am sure they are great.

LouieB

Yeah, so . . . I obviously don't need all those TTs. I went through a "phase" where I thought I "needed" more and better. It has been the source of some embarrassment (and humor).

I've had the Phillips since 1976 - HS graduation gift from Dad.

I use a Linn LP12 with a Clearaudio wood cartridge or a Rega Planar 25 with a Goldring 1042 cartridge. Both great combos, but the LP12 is amazing.

As much as I love the Beatles, I can't listen to them at all now. Not quite sure why that is. Most stuff I grew up - Who, Kinks, Stones, Genesis, Yes, ELP - has aged really well for me, and I can still listen to music from those bands every once in a while.

Beatles, I just can't get through anything. Weird. And kinda sad.

I feel where you're coming from. I went a while having zero urge to listen to them until the other night when the desire hit me hard from right outta the blue. it was so weird. there's just something about the Beatles, especially the earlier songs, that just makes me smile. about 20 mins. ago, I dug out my ol' Rubber Soul vinyl. :dancing

I keep an ever rotating stack of vinyl out by the stereo and right now that stack includes the following:

Undertones-"self-titled"

Big Star - "#1 Record"

Dr. Dog - "Fate"

Cheap Trick -"self-titled"

Aretha Franklin - "Live at the Fillmore West"

MMJ - "At Dawn"

The Byrds - "Farther Along"

Prince - "Dirty Mind"

Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - "Away We A Go-Go"

Wilco - "Being There"

Mott The Hoople - "R'N'R Queen"

Neil Young - "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"

Sharon Jones and the DapKings - "Naturally"

The Rip Offs - "Got A Record"

The Temptations - "Puzzle People"

Use the same system. My wife surprised me with Sennheiser HD595s for Christmas (as much a present for her and our new addition as me, me thinks) and I've been moving through that rotation pretty good the past two nights. Right now:

Derek and the Dominoes - "Layla"

Catfish Haven - "Devastator"

Fleet Floxes - "

Otis Redding - "At the Whiskey a Go Go"

Elvis - "Christmas Album"

Neil Young - Massey Hall 1971

The Band - "Music from the Big Pink"

The band - "the Band"

Faces - "Nod is as good as a Wink"

John Lennon - "Imagine"

Blue Mountain - "Midnight in MS"

Cat Power - "Dark end of the Street"

Elton John Band Featuring John Lennon and the Muscle Shoals Horns

Van Morrison Recorded in Concert in Los Angeles and London

Delta Spirit - "Ode to Sunshine"

DBT - "The Dirty South"

Calexico - "Carried to Dust"

Whiskeytown - "Strangers Alamanac"

U2 - "War"

DBT - "Brighter than Creations Dark"

Dexateens - "Hardwire Healing"

Alejandro Escovedo - "Real Animal"

Traveling Wilbury's Box Set

Needless to say, Twist and Shout and all the new vinyl out there is something I have to be very careful of as far as our budget goes. One of my projects today is trying to figure out the digital transfer from my Project Phono Box II USB Pre-amp. Have audacity loaded and LAME codec, but can't seem to get the input levels right?

Cool thread topic.