My dad loves parallels, he uses it every day at work. I boot into Windows only for games, so I want every ounce of performance out of my Macbook Pro, so I use Bootcamp. I hear very good things though.

Great yes track from Going for the One

actually written by Chris Squire I believe

:wub My first thought, as well.

I use Parallels. I used it extensively while telecommuting w/ Citrix. It's pretty reliable, though I have an older version that's a bit buggy.

I also use it extensively to play SimCity2000, since it's not supported on my Intel Mac.

I use Parallels. I had it running with Vista and it was buggy and tempermental. The IT guy switched the Windows system to be whatever came before Vista and it works great now. I would recommend it. There is supposed to be a Parallels 4 out now and we are supposed to get upgraded to that at the office, but it hasn't happened yet. I'll keep you posted if it does.

The only weird thing I have experienced with my current set-up is that when I insert a cd, the Windows side hijacks the cd and the Mac side doesn't see it at all. I have to close Parallels, do what I need to do with the CD, then launch Parallels again. I'm sure there's a way to fix that, my IT guy doesn't know how and I haven't had time to really delve into the nuances and settings of it. There's also a printing thing, where my Parallels doesn't recognize printers. Again, I think that is something completely fixable and not actually a problem.

My dad used to run windows on a Mac strictly through Parallels and absolutely loved it.

• 1 month later...

I have a Parallels question. Everytime I restart my mac (or have to shut down parallels and start it over again) I get this annoying "cannot connect to the network because the login account does not exist on the network. please try again later..." paraphrased. My IT guy has no clue how to fix it. I take it as a network error on the PC side of the machine or something set up wrong for the PC side to talk to the network.

I googled the error message and according to a page on the parallels support site, to overcome this error message you have to toggle between the shared networking and bridged networking under selection under the devices/Network Adapter 1 menu. If I do this, I have to toggle through sometimes 2x sometimes 10x to get the PC side to login. there's no rhyme or reason to how many times or which setting actually gets me in.

I also found that this is a PC error message for when a user account is set up on a network, a harddrive is imaged to a new computer and connected to the network. The network thinks there are two different computers trying to use the exact same user name, so it rejects the login. I am assuming the rejection and conflict is coming because the mac is already logged in and Parallels is then trying to login using the exact same name and it gets rejected. Fine and dandy, but good grief there's gotta be a way to get parallels set up or the network set up to stop doing this.

anybody experience this/familiar and know how to fix it?

---

i fixed it. gotta change the name of the PC through the PC side without being connected to the network, then wahlah, it works. i should start a new career as an IT chic.