So, okay, this should really go in the After the Show forum, but ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway? The people who will read this thread hang out in here. (You know who you are.)

Last night I saw 95-year-old legendary blues boogie woogie piano player Joe Willie "Pinetop" Perkins perform at Skipper's Smokehouse, a Tampa institution which supports community radio station WMNF ... a.k.a., "the greatest little radio station on planet earth." They are the only station around here where you can hear folk, blues, old R & B, the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa ... all the things that make life worth living.

I discovered ol' Pinetop way back in the 1980s when somebody turned me onto the Muddy Waters album Hard Again. (Great album, though it really features Johnny Winter & James Cotton more than Pinetop.) When I found out Pinetop is still around, and playing with former Muddy alum Bob Margolin, I said, What the hell. I'll go.

With so many music legends passing -- big names like Isaac Hayes, Mitch Mitchell, etc. -- it was a real trip to see one who's known more to blues aficionados than rock fans, and who is still alive and kicking at 95. He recorded a show for his 85th birthday called Live at 85. Listen to the sound clips on Amazon.com for an idea of what I experienced last night.

It was cool. I hope he comes back for his centennial celebration!

i think it was in 1979, my sophomore year in college, i was on the committee that booked concerts on campus. that spring, our big show was muddy waters with the james cotton blues band opening

as we were setting up the stage, most of the guys from both bands arrived and were hanging out with us. i was talking to cotton's piano player, who was playing some dazzling stuff just goofing around a few hours before the show started

i told him how amazing his playing was, and he laughed and said, "hey, i'm nobody -- that's the guy you want to talk to, over there."

he pointed to muddy's piano player, pinetop. i went over, introduced myself, and we spoke for quite a while - very nice guy, was already up there in years. he walked up on stage and played some remarkably inventive barrelhouse stuff for me, just absolutely blew me away -- my own private personal 1-on-1 pinetop perkins performance

one of the great experiences of my life. partying with muddy later that night was unforgettable too

he was rolling a joint backstage and my girlfriend asked him for his autograph

muddy responded: "you can have my autograph, you can have anything you want - just don't take away my weed!"

what a night

Pinetop and I are neighbors, actually.

He lives a few houses down on my street.

He's truly amazing.

I was given his address a few years ago. ARe you in Indiana or did he move?

Pinetop is a great ones for sure. One of the last actually.

LouieB

Wow, great responses to this. Amazing story, hardwood.

Yeah, it was a really cool little benefit. I wasn't really familiar with the songs he usually does solo, but highlights were Big Fat Mama and Down in Mississippi. Actually, everything he did was enjoyable. I need to get me some of his CDs.

i think it was in 1979, my sophomore year in college, i was on the committee that booked concerts on campus. that spring, our big show was muddy waters with the james cotton blues band opening

as we were setting up the stage, most of the guys from both bands arrived and were hanging out with us. i was talking to cotton's piano player, who was playing some dazzling stuff just goofing around a few hours before the show started

i told him how amazing his playing was, and he laughed and said, "hey, i'm nobody -- that's the guy you want to talk to, over there."

he pointed to muddy's piano player, pinetop. i went over, introduced myself, and we spoke for quite a while - very nice guy, was already up there in years. he walked up on stage and played some remarkably inventive barrelhouse stuff for me, just absolutely blew me away -- my own private personal 1-on-1 pinetop perkins performance

one of the great experiences of my life. partying with muddy later that night was unforgettable too

he was rolling a joint backstage and my girlfriend asked him for his autograph

muddy responded: "you can have my autograph, you can have anything you want - just don't take away my weed!"

what a night

There's a once in a lifetime experience. A couple of legends in the same night. Very cool.

There's a once in a lifetime experience. A couple of legends in the same night. Very cool.

Not to mention James Cotton. And there were likely a few other notable names in those bands. Wow.

Not to mention James Cotton. And there were likely a few other notable names in those bands. Wow.

yeah, i was too young to totally appreciate exactly how legendary those men were, but i kind of had an inkling.

and, cryptique ... i've thought about that since ... what legends were on that stage that night that i just had no clue about ... would love to know who was in both touring bands back then

I was given his address a few years ago. ARe you in Indiana or did he move?

He lives here in S. Austin. Not sure how long he has been here.

• 2 years later...

Nice find on an old thread...

Very sad. There are not many of his generation left and certainly maybe no one of his quality still playing. It is amazing how active he was in his later years.

My brother in law wrote me that we saw him at Bluesfest several years ago. I know I saw him several times over the years.

LouieB

Oh man, that is a bummer. He was supposed to be here again a few weeks ago, but his plane got snowed in, and we got Willie "Big Eyes" Smith instead (he was great...see him if you can!)

I was hoping I'd have a chance to see him a second time, but who could complain? At 97, he sure had a good long run. RIP, Pinetop.

I can't believe that I actually have a Pinetop Perkins story.

In 1988, possibly 1989, I went to NYC to visit a good buddy living in Hell's Kitchen over MLK weekend. I also had plans to go to wedding in Jersey on Saturday. A girl from home, about 5 years younger, had recently moved to Newark after getting a flight attendant job. We had never dated and she wasn't really my type, a 'big hair' for lack of a better descriptor, but I wanted a wedding date. I called and we made plans to go out Friday night, stay at my buddies place and then go to the wedding Saturday morning. In true 80's movie fashion, I asked her if she had a date for my pal. She did.

We went down to the Village Friday night. After dinner, we hit the bars. At some point, I notice a sign in a little club's window saying that Pinetop Perkins is playing. I say to my friends, "Oh shit! Pinetop Perkins! Let's go in". They are all, "Who in hell is Pinetop Perkins?". I explain how he played with Muddy Waters. At least my buddy understood that much. The girls were clueless but willing. We paid the cover and caught his last set. It was everything that Mr. Heartbreak and the rest of you all said it was. I was digging it. After the show, I was ballsy enough to strike up a conversation. Again, he was as gracious as other posters found him to be. He asked who did I come with? I pointed to our table and he perked up at the sight of these attracttive young women. He sidled over and sat right down and became Macktop Perkins. They ate it up. Which was perfect. Pictures were taken. He reveled in the opportunity to have his arms around the ladies. I still have those pictures.

I, too, feel fortunate to have seen a legend play. The piano and the Mack Daddy.

Thank you, sir and enjoy playing with Mr. Waters again.