should i start a thread called Mac VS PC : the end all dispute?

guess i shouldn't have resurected this thread, as clearly no one is interested in Windows 7...

should i start a thread called Mac VS PC : the end all dispute?

guess i shouldn't have resurected this thread, as clearly no one is interested in Windows 7...

I'm very much interested in Windows 7, but haven't had a chance to get anywhere near it yet. I'm hoping it will see a full release (and then a service pack or two) by the time I have to replace my WinXP home machine, so I never have to use Vista on a regular basis. I've only had to log onto a Vista machine on a handful of occasions at work, and I'll be quite happy to skip that OS altogether if I can.

As for a Mac vs. PC thread ... don't bother. I've already reached my quota for being told to "buy a Mac" this year. That cult doesn't need another platform.

7 is currently in RC1 , and i have a feeling that there it will go RTM in the next few months. the RC version doesn;t expire until aug 2010, so theres a good long window to try it out and not have to spend the $$$. having participated in the Vista Beta program as well, i've got to say, there is no comparison. 7 is what Vista SHOULD have been. it really seems that MS is making a very large effort to keep users such as yourself from ever having to use Vista.

i will say, it's damn unlikely i'll ever buy a mac. mainly because i love to tinker with the HW , and pc allows that much more easily. that said, i have nothing against mac, just not my cup o tea

The Mac Mini starts at $599, so you're going to be throwing together 6 $99 computers. Good luck with that, and remember to include the cost of buying Vista. Apple doesn't try to compete in the super low cost PC market, so comparing the cheapest PCs to macs makes no sense. If you actually compare Macs to PCs with similar specs, you'll end up spending more on the Mac of course, but nothing to the level of what you are describing.

As far as people buying Mac for the brand - I am sure that happens and I'm sure Apple loves the power that their brand has, but there are tons of reasons to buy a Mac. I'm not interested into getting into a Mac vs. PC debate, so I'm not going to list them all here.

As far as gaming goes, I am a gamer and I use a Mac - Any Mac made since 2006 can run ANY PC game available, so you seem to be misinformed.

I have no problems with Windows, and as you said, for 90% of users who want to be doing the basics with their computer, the extra cost of the Mac is not worth it. Windows works fine most of the time and can functionally do anything a Mac can do, but to imply that any Mac user is a moron who only buys things because of the brand name is disingenuous.

But that

to my understanding, with a Mac, All hardware and software is tested like crazy to make SURE it works.

PC, theres a lot larger element of chance involved.

thats my understanding

I've never used Vista. The computer I have at home does not have enough of whatever it takes to run Vista, and I would guess Windows 7. I know they are going to quit updating XP at some point, so I need to get a new computer.

I've never used Vista. The computer I have at home does not have enough of whatever it takes to run Vista, and I would guess Windows 7. I know they are going to quit updating XP at some point, so I need to get a new computer.

from what i understand, 7 does a great job of scaling to the available system resources than vista ever could. i've been meaning to try and install it on an " underpowered" machine as an experiment. There are people installing it on Netbooks, so that gives me hope

that said, new lower end PC hw is CHEAP.. ( not trying to further the other debate here, strictly a windows discussion)

from what i understand, 7 does a great job of scaling to the available system resources than vista ever could. i've been meaning to try and install it on an " underpowered" machine as an experiment. There are people installing it on Netbooks, so that gives me hope

that said, new lower end PC hw is CHEAP.. ( not trying to further the other debate here, strictly a windows discussion)

I was looking at a new Dell at Walmart the other day, but I did not have enough bread to buy it.

I also recently watched this video series:

How to build a computer with Carey Holzman

i really don't dig Dell, at least the machines you'll find @ the big box stores.

they take the CHEAPEST hardware they can , and throw them together. if you aren;t afraid of installing an OS, and putting some parts together, building a system is the way to go , IMO. it';s not nearly as scary as people beileve, or as it once was. the days of setting IRQ's with jumpers are long gone, and with modern HW, the driver troubles are fairly rare.

i'll just say that , dell, as with everythign else has different grades of quality . some of the higher end machines are great, but the 299$ Wal Mart machine isn't the same deal. those things use the cheapest hardware they can source, and i've learned about low priced hardware the hard way. now, thats not to say you may not get lucky and end up with a great performer..... but, me, an off the shelf system if i were to buy one would likely be Lenovo (IBM). have a fleet of them at the office, and have had no problems.

Oh, the one above is 800 bucks. I am actually using one of those right now. My deal is - I don't have enough power or space to do things anymore.

totally missed that link the 1st time around. it seems like a capable machine, but theres a big part of me that says to run far away from buying a Dell @ Wal Mart. for example, fairly comparable Lenovo for 500$

Build your own. If I can do it, anyone can.

i totally agree. the 1st build is a bit scary, but hell, i can build a system in an hour or so anymore.

also, unless the needs are urgent, or you are building a system, i would either go for an XP machine, or wait till 7 comes out. 7 will be the next XP

Edited by Sly like a Foxwell

if you decide to build and want suggestions/guidance, let me know. i can get you a list of components i've had good luck with

totally missed that link the 1st time around. it seems like a capable machine, but theres a big part of me that says to run far away from buying a Dell @ Wal Mart. for example, fairly comparable Lenovo for 500$

i totally agree. the 1st build is a bit scary, but hell, i can build a system in an hour or so anymore.

also, unless the needs are urgent, or you are building a system, i would either go for an XP machine, or wait till 7 comes out. 7 will be the next XP

ArsTechnica has some good guides, for choosing the set of components for a build:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/guides/2009/04/ars-technica-system-guide-april-2009-edition.ars

It gives you a good list of pieces you can to start from.

that looks like a pretty solid list . Asus motherboards seem really solid, and i'm a big AMD guy, even though intel may have a performance lead at present

Still not used to the Office 2007 menus, but that's a different issue.

"Ribbons" :lol

I've been using Office 2007 for over a year now, and the ribbons still mess me up, though I've gotten much more accustomed to them. I know how to find stuff that I use on an everyday basis, but on the occasions where I need to find a function that I rarely use, I'm often stumped.

All I can say is, fill your Quick Access Toolbar with all the stuff you use regularly. Makes life much simpler.

i jumped in here because my dad just told me he was running windows 7 and got an email from microsoft telling him that at the end of the summer it would not run every few hours and by august the beta version would no longer work. he had said something about not being able to back to vista once you installed the windows 7 beta. i'm not sure what that was all about, but it sounded odd to me. how does an operating system render itself useless after a certain period of time? anyone else get an email like that?

and oh it is so tempting to jump in on the mac vs pc debate. being the absolute mac snob that i am and unofficially rank up very high in the powers of the cult...yeah. i will instead share a story. my mom bought a dell a while ago and it constantly crashed on her or they had internet problems and then they got a virus and it wiped out the hard drive and i can't remember what else went wrong with the machine. i was constantly getting phone calls "how do i do this, why did the computer do that?" my parents are not computer savvy and had no idea what needed to be done to secure their pc or maintain regular upkeep on it. i finally took them to a mac store and they bought an imac. my step-father balked at the price, but then asked, where's the big box that goes under the desk, what about the norton stuff you have to buy, what about...then he stopped balking at the price and they love their mac. the only problem they had was parental controls blocking more websites than it should have. but then i logged into their mac from my mac and fixed the settings. they have had the computer for over a year now and the only computer calls i get are can you login and make sure we did X right.

i think macs are completely worth the price you pay for them. PCs remind me of my old Ford Focus. it was very affordable when I bought it, cheaper than other cars. but good grief, the long term costs added up rapidly and i should have just spent the extra money and bought the mini cooper 6 years ago. :)

• 2 weeks later...

gonna completly ignore the mac pc debate,, bit answer the question about 7. if you are running the Win7 BETA, yes, it will time bomb later this summer. Beta releases are expected to do this. plus, i would upgrade to the RC build, that is good through i think June 2010. this is the code that was cantidate for the official release. now that there is a solid release date, i'm not sure the code will change much between now and the RTM( release to manufacture) version. and no, no way to re4vert to Vista once an upgade has been made to 7.

personally, the RC version is almost as stable as XP. more stable than the Beta.... and hell, both are more stable than Vista