So, i've been running the Windows 7 Beta for almost a week now, and personally i like what i see. anyone else tried it yet?

i've been saying it's like if Vista and Xp had a child

OSX > Windows. Even as a lifelong Windows supporter, it's so very true.

I was wondering how long we'd have to wait for the first comment from the peanut gallery of Mac users. Nine-and-a-half hours must be some kind of new record for restraint.

This is my favorite take on it so far.

yeah, that one is good. i still haven;t seen any traces of hitler. they toned UAC down , so even that isn;t terrible

is the beta stable enough to run for good?

thus far, i've had no stability problems. i've had some problems with it interacting poorly with the Windows Home server ( causing some tcp errors and some other system oddities)

I use MAC OSX for Pro tools, and that's it. Anything past that and it's about as useful as a football bat.

It all depends on what you're trying to do with it. I honestly had very few issues with Windows XP, so I don't have much of a beef with Microsoft outside of stability and the horror that is Vista. Well, that and their Office Suite being unavoidable. That said, I still prefer OS X by a wide margin. But, again, I'm not exactly using it in a "business" environment.

I was wondering how long we'd have to wait for the first comment from the peanut gallery of Mac users. Nine-and-a-half hours must be some kind of new record for restraint.

I used to roll my eyes at Macaholics. Well, I still do, but after spending the last year using a Dell laptop loaded with Vista, I simply have nothing good to say about it. I've never been anal enough to actually hate an OS before, but OMG that was terrible. Shortly before Christmas my 2 year old niece decided to dump an entire bottle of shower gel on the keyboard and fried the hell out of the thing. You'd think I'd be pissed about having to replace a still-fairly-newish computer, but I have to admit there there was a part of me deep down that was dancing and singing "ding, dong, the witch is dead!" Good riddance.

I'm thinking hard about replacing it with a Mac. For everyday computing, I agree that OSX is a way more stable platform. Cost-wise, I just don't like the idea of buying a more expensive computer just for "everyday computing", but unfortunately I still use a lot of MS programming tools, so I won't be totally breaking free from MS anytime soon. But news that MS is working on an OS that doesn't completely suck...well, that's music to my ears.

am i the only one that misses windows 3.11?
not sure, but it's the most stable operating system i've used

Wow. I could blow up 3.1 virtually at will. That said, I liked it better than Windows 95.

heh!.. mine was DOS-based with a black/green screen (and used proper floppy disks 5 1/4 inch ones!)

I had one of those (with a whopping 30MB hard disk) ... but before that, I had a Commodore 64.

... but before that, I had a Commodore 64.

That was my first computer, too. I even had the Datasette gadget that allowed you to store stuff on cassette tape.

datasette1530.jpg

things have come a long way since the cassetts days... considering i now have a 1.5TB drive installed

todays WIn 7 battle.... figuring out why it keeps losing connectivity to the rest of the network. disabled IPv6 . we'll see what that does

• 4 months later...

so, now that the RC build has been out for 3 weeks, i can;t be the only one crazy enough to be running this , can i ?

i've had a few minor issues, but seems to be solid. i haven;t tried the XP mode yet, as the machine i'm currently running it on doesn;t support hardware virtuilzation. soon maybe...

With help from Newegg, I could literally build a half dozen (or more, admittedly bare bones) Windows’ based PC’s for the cost of one Mac – and still have enough left over for like, a Happy Meal or something. Based on my experience, the problems associated with Vista have been blown all out of proportion, which has always been the case whenever Microsoft releases a new OS. I’d say a good 90% of the problems commonly associated with Vista have more to do with the operator, and less to do with the operating system.

Here’s what you’re really buying when you purchase a Mac – a brand. For folks heavy into graphics/rendering software, desktop publishing, etc, a Mac (might, might) be the way to go, but for 99% of PC owners, folks who use their computers primarily for email, the internet, and downloading, Windows is every bit the equal of Mac.

For gamers, it’s not even a question.