hey, does anyone here know a gypsy? I'm super curious what they're like in this modern day in age. Wikipedia just told me that there are many thousands of them in the UK. All I have to go off of are the gypsy circus people in the U2 'All I Want Is You' video.

gypsy%20caravans.jpg

if you wanna meet some gypsies, go to Gare du Nord in Paris. they have these wrinkled postcards of "letters" written from "sick children" who need money for an operation, or else they will die. the gypsies can recite the letter in almost every language! within a 1.5 hour time, I was stopped by 4-5 gypsies with these postcards.

The travellers in the UK and Ireland aren't all ethnic Romany, I don't think. Most of the Irish ones aren't, anyway. Alison, did you ever see the show The Riches (I think it's cancelled now) on FX a couple of seasons ago? There are lots of Irish traveller camps in the US, and some of them still speak a form of Gaelic.

A cousin of mine in Ireland worked for a while at a school that served the travelling community. Classes were actually held on a bus, they'd follow the camp wherever it went.

There's a huge bias against the travellers in Ireland, so their lifestyle is a big political issue too, and has been for years. The singer-songwriter Ewan MacColl (father of Kirsty MacColl, and the writer of both First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Dirty Old Town :D) was a real radical type, he wrote and performed lots of songs about the travellers.

Some people in Ireland still call them "tinkers", although I think that's pretty politically incorrect. I was in the Disney Store before Christmas, they're now marketing a "fairys" line (next big marketing scheme after the Princesses, I guess), featuring Tinkerbell, and there was a thing about how Tinkerbell's skills include mending pots and pans. I had never put her name together with that before!

Some people in Ireland still call them "tinkers", although I think that's pretty politically incorrect. I was in the Disney Store before Christmas, they're now marketing a "fairys" line (next big marketing scheme after the Princesses, I guess), featuring Tinkerbell, and there was a thing about how Tinkerbell's skills include mending pots and pans. I had never put her name together with that before!

Wow, that's an interesting observation!

My mom never liked us to use the term "gypped" because it's an insult to her ancestors.

My buddy from the Czech Republic said his grandparents hated gypsies with a passion.

The travellers in the UK and Ireland aren't all ethnic Romany, I don't think. Most of the Irish ones aren't, anyway. Alison, did you ever see the show The Riches (I think it's cancelled now) on FX a couple of seasons ago? There are lots of Irish traveller camps in the US, and some of them still speak a form of Gaelic.

I never did see that show... thats nuts that they're in the US, how interesting! I wonder where they are most often found?

A cousin of mine in Ireland worked for a while at a school that served the travelling community. Classes were actually held on a bus, they'd follow the camp wherever it went.

There's a huge bias against the travellers in Ireland, so their lifestyle is a big political issue too, and has been for years. The singer-songwriter Ewan MacColl (father of Kirsty MacColl, and the writer of both First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Dirty Old Town :D) was a real radical type, he wrote and performed lots of songs about the travellers.

What a lifestyle... school on a bus! that actually sounds pretty fun... are the Travellers against going to school in a building, though? I'm curious why it was done that way.

wow, that is a very cool observation... she doesn't seem like the type to be mending anything! My mom is a fan of some band called the Wicked Tinkers. So from their name I would guess they either really love or really despise gypsies.

I thought of that because I saw a National Geographic - or a Smithsonian magazine once which had a big spread about them. As I recall, they were covered in gold jewelry. I am surprised they don't have an OG.

I never did see that show... thats nuts that they're in the US, how interesting! I wonder where they are most often found?

What a lifestyle... school on a bus! that actually sounds pretty fun... are the Travellers against going to school in a building, though? I'm curious why it was done that way.

wow, that is a very cool observation... she doesn't seem like the type to be mending anything! My mom is a fan of some band called the Wicked Tinkers. So from their name I would guess they either really love or really despise gypsies.

I want to say the travellers in the US are mostly in the south, I think it's Tennessee that has a big community. If you google "travellers scams" you'll find a ton of stuff about people getting scammed by traveller con-artists in the U.S. (this was the premise of The Riches; it's worth seeing for the scenes in the traveller camp, but the plot got kind of out of control by the end). They turn up semi-regularly on shows like 20/20, too. I'm always fascinated by those reports. The whole lifestyle is just incredible, they seem to be very insular people, with some unique traditions. You'll see reports that some of these families have made millions off of these scams, and that there are communities full of mini-mansions with RVs parked outside. The story is that they won't sleep in real houses, they have to sleep in the caravans. I don't know how much of those kinds of stories are just urban myths, though.

I think that was the thing with the school in the bus, too. It was partly because the school had to follow the camp, in case they picked up and moved, and partly because they just were more comfortable in a bus than in a school building.

I want to say the travellers in the US are mostly in the south, I think it's Tennessee that has a big community. If you google "travellers scams" you'll find a ton of stuff about people getting scammed by traveller con-artists in the U.S. (this was the premise of The Riches; it's worth seeing for the scenes in the traveller camp, but the plot got kind of out of control by the end). They turn up semi-regularly on shows like 20/20, too. I'm always fascinated by those reports. The whole lifestyle is just incredible, they seem to be very insular people, with some unique traditions. You'll see reports that some of these families have made millions off of these scams, and that there are communities full of mini-mansions with RVs parked outside. The story is that they won't sleep in real houses, they have to sleep in the caravans. I don't know how much of those kinds of stories are just urban myths, though.

I think that was the thing with the school in the bus, too. It was partly because the school had to follow the camp, in case they picked up and moved, and partly because they just were more comfortable in a bus than in a school building.

There was also a movie - Traveller (1997).

My buddy from the Czech Republic said his grandparents hated gypsies with a passion.

One of my old roommates, a guy from Romania who swam the Danube river to escape the Iron Curtain, told me that his village kicked all the gypsies out and burned their homes because a village girl got mistakenly run over by a local gypsy. Crazy stuff...