The MP3's Are Whipping Me

Ok, I know this will sound greedy, lazy and probably tick off the FLAC crazed taping community, but It is worth a shot. I own everything Wilco has put out for sale, including most sountrack stuff etc etc. There are a few things missing and I know I can over the Owl & Bear archive, but I don't have any desire to play around with FLAC and technologies I don't understand (I sound old) Does anyone care to share stuff like the TP is Whipping Me or Any Major Dude or All Over the Place EP stuff on good old crappy sound MP3s. Or wish to direct me where I can access these on good old crappy MP3's. Anyway, sorry for being a technology loser. But hey, I love vinyl and Wilco, not Flac conversion

Dealing with FLAC files themselves isn't that hard. It's when you start downloading torrents that things get tricky. To take FLAC files from Owl and Bear and convert them so they'll play in iTunes, I downloaded Trader's Little Helper, and really it couldn't be simpler. It's literally a two click process to convert the files. If you can burn a CD, you can use it.

The toilet paper is whipping you?

You are looking for "free" and/or "out of print" tracks - and even though, they may be "free" and/or "out of print" - you are probably not going to find them hosted anywhere - legally.

I once asked for someone to put up something on a another message board once - it was out of print - and the dude who ran the place told me the band still owned it, even though it was out of print, and and what I was asking for was against the rules. So there you go.

I suppose you could also look at it this way - people had to buy something to get these so-called free tracks, so there is also that to consider. If you want things without paying for them, or no one gives you what you want here, then you should learn how to do Bit Torrent and/or search for Mp3s using Google.

Go to Google.com, put this: The Complete Singles: 1994-2001 in the search box, hit search, explore the results of the search until you find what you want.

or, you can try these:

Search mp3 using Google, etc

Search mp3 download sites.

Yes, that's right. You can take everyone's favorite all-purpose search engine and turn it into a web-crawling, MP3 ripping demon for you. The procedure itself isn't as hard as you would think, either.

Also - you won't find The Complete Singles: 1994-2001 on The Owl and Bear site.

Dealing with FLAC files themselves isn't that hard. It's when you start downloading torrents that things get tricky. To take FLAC files from Owl and Bear and convert them so they'll play in iTunes, I downloaded Trader's Little Helper, and really it couldn't be simpler. It's literally a two click process to convert the files. If you can burn a CD, you can use it.

Or use Winamp and you don't even have to convert the FLACs.

FLACs are ridiculously easy to deal with. Trader's Little Helper sounds even easier than what I do, which is itself extremely easy but involves more steps:

Download and install something called "FLAC Frontend," which is free. Open it. Drag the FLAC files onto the FLAC Frontend window. Specify the folder where you want the converted files to go. Click the Decode button.

That gets you WAV files. Once you have WAVs, you can burn them to CD, or use any one of the hundreds of applications (many of which are free) that can convert them to whatever other format you want (I convert them to .OGG, but it sounds like you want .MP3).

Super easy. No big mystery. Anyone can do it.

What cryptique said.

There's a FLAC codec for WMP also. That's what I use. For my mp3 player I use FLAC frontend and a program called Free MP3/WMA/OGG Converter 4.0.1. Takes just a couple minutes to do a whole album.

ok, so the consesnus is that, despite my whining, I need to download a free FLAC converter and move forward with life. And so you guys have some respect for me, I have learned how to use I tunes to transfer WAV to MP3 when I'm uploading vinyl, so if I can get FLAC To WAV like Cryptique said then I'm set.

A few questions:

1. The FLAC Frontend free install (does this work with MAC OS X

2. Analogman went on about wanting stuff illegally and this and that. Why when you bring up Mp3's do people get all wierd. But FLAC and Torrents are all up and up? Am I confused?

3. Thank you all for your help. I just don't want any Wilco slipping through my hands. I don't really get into live show bootlegs and demos all that much, but odd little songs released on some bad movie soundtrack or an impossible vinly only EP is stuff I would love to have

The tracks you are seeking are not live tracks, taped by a taper at a concert. They are tracks that were commercially available in one way or another. Even though they may not be available for purchase now, they are still owned by some record company, Wilco, etc. There is a line there somewhere, it's up to you to decide how you feel about such things. If you check out the directions and/or links I posted, you will probably find the tracks in Mp3 form. Also - as was stated, it is not difficult to turn FLAC files into Mp3 files.

The TB Is Whipping Me (Red Hot & Country Aids Benefit CD. Wilco with Syd Straw).

Any Major Dude Will Tell You (Me My Self & Irene movie soundtrack).

All Over The Place 1997 Limited Edition, Promotional Only, Picture Sleeve Ten Inch LP Featuring Live And Previously Unreleased Songs . Tracks Are "Someone Else's Song" (Live), "Promising" (Previously Unreleased), "Kingpin" (Live), "I Got You" (Live), "Don't You Honey Me" (Previously Unreleased), "Passenger Side" (Live), "The Lonely 1" (Alternate Version).

I see, you are making sense now Analogman. Well for the most part I never do illegal things, so I will stray away from what I'm wanting and assume some day Wilco will purge the entire vaults in a Neil Young like fashion.

As for a Mac OS X-friendly FLAC converter, I use xAct, which is available for free download. I use xAct to convert the FLACs (or SHNs) to AIFF format, although you can also convert to WAV, then I use iTunes to compress them to AAC for iPod use.

It's not exactly seamless, but it's free and it works.

As for a Mac OS X-friendly FLAC converter, I use xAct, which is available for free download. I use xAct to convert the FLACs (or SHNs) to AIFF format, although you can also convert to WAV, then I use iTunes to compress them to AAC for iPod use.

It's not exactly seamless, but it's free and it works.

Yeah, I forget sometimes that people use Macs for this stuff (sorry about that, nodep5). Thanks for chiming in, EphSooner. Hopefully xAct is as easy to use as FLAC Frontend.

I see, you are making sense now Analogman. Well for the most part I never do illegal things, so I will stray away from what I'm wanting and assume some day Wilco will purge the entire vaults in a Neil Young like fashion.

This is in the rules section:

Links to full albums or any other copyrighted material (software, serial numbers, etc.)

There was a time when I had all that stuff posted here for people to snag, but that time is gone.

I'm a newbie on a Mac and I just downloaded this the other day: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

Then downloaded the tracks I wanted from Owl and Bear, drug them all into Switch, specified a folder, clicked convert, presto. Then, drug them all into itunes and was listening to the 3/8/08 show from Cain's Ballroom on my iphone as I fell asleep, all within about an hour (give or take...) Easy. Good luck!

There was a time when I had all that stuff posted here for people to snag, but that time is gone.

Thanks again. That's how I got the Complete Singles the first time.