Taking the hipsters to school

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, what a read! that whole article was entirely true. thanks for sharing.

this part made me lol: "“Rad, thanks,” he says, re-focusing on the music and submerging himself back into the sweaty funk of the crowd where he resumes a jittery head bobble with a little bit of a twitch."

Great article :stunned

Every generation has it's thing man. Older cats can't stand young punks because they are no longer a kid who can spend hours looking cool with some group of kids looking cool. We will always poke fun & fear the end of originality & brain cells when we see a group looking like a group. Remember the 80's? That didn't destroy us now did it?

It's what kids do. I used to be a young skater chick skin head lover from the 80's....now I'm an educated married MILF with a renewed brain cells & supple skin.

I f'n hate those damn annoying hipsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone should write an article on the term hip (which started out as hep...), and work their way through the 20th and 21st century uses of the word. It is a pretty old term (but in this case hilariously pejoritive...I might add....)

LouieB

All of this was better said by "The Baffler" what seems like a generation ago, but was actually only around the turn of the millenium.

To say we are in a cultural vacuum is vacuous in and of itself.

LouieB

new york has a heroin district?

It used to be Alphabet City, but I hear it's relocated to Williamsburg.

Someone should write a very sad article about the thirty somethings who are still trying to pull this off.

yes! i am 35 and just laugh at those folks.

this article is interesting, but a bit pretentious and overstating. (no time now to back that up)

however, genY is gonna be all this and more. nothing new under the sun. all the bygone scenes were/are myths anyway. it still comes down to putting clothes on, drinking, smoking, and deciding who's in and who's out. religion has been doing it for centuries.

c

I loved reading this in particular...

"The dance floor at a hipster party looks like it should be surrounded by quotation marks. While punk, disco and hip hop all had immersive, intimate and energetic dance styles that liberated the dancer from his/her mental states

Like John Norris

This year's nominee for the "Death in Venice" award!

I don't think it's fair to pick on young people for falling into some subculture that mostly revolves around fashion and music, most of us have been in their shoes (but mine were never neon high tops.) I don't like to pass judgment on seemingly vacant young ladies and fellas for wearing neck scarves and skinny jeans any more than I let my neighbor's dirty, sleeveless t-shirt or our pediatrician's skin tight tan Wranglers and big belt buckle make my mind up about their worthiness. Let the hipsters have their fun! At least fixies are environmentally friendly, yeah? :D

Hugs for hipsters! :hug

Someone should write an article on the term hip (which started out as hep...), and work their way through the 20th and 21st century uses of the word. It is a pretty old term (but in this case hilariously pejoritive...I might add....)

LouieB

John Leland does a good job of this in Hip: The History, a book that came out a few years ago.

• 2 months later...
More taking hipsters to school

http://lookatthisfuckinghipster.tumblr.com/

Now THAT'S some funny stuff.

The original article is interesting. I like the end:

We are a lost generation, desperately clinging to anything that feels real, but too afraid to become it ourselves. We are a defeated generation, resigned to the hypocrisy of those before us, who once sang songs of rebellion and now sell them back to us. We are the last generation, a culmination of all previous things, destroyed by the vapidity that surrounds us. The hipster represents the end of Western civilization
here in atlanta, the hipsters have taken to riding over-priced ten speed bikes. this happening any where else? fascinating!

I have seen this in my small town up north. I find it funny how the hipsterization has even grabbed hold of the youths. I find so many (at least to my eyes) 10-14ish young lads dressed in obnoxiously bright colors, all listening to Vampire Weekend and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and most importantly, visiting pitchfork.com