But those aren't on TV... who pays any attention to them, besides other critics and movie nerds (like me)? At any rate, I suppose it's nice that there's something for movies like that; music really doesn't have an equivalent.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why so many people on this board, who I consider extremly knowledgable about music and have really cool tastes, spent time watching that crap fest. I'll never understand why the movies get a critic based awards circuit, but music gets a freaking popularity contest with high school behavior in the worst way. I watched in all 10 total minutes last night. What I saw will haunt me today. Some dude (Kanye I think ) rapping over a Coldplay song. Radiohead sinking in their seats when the camera panned to them, and career awards being glossed over because the footage of the artists were in black and white and the idiots in the crowd had never heard of them (along with the 16 year olds that this show was geared at). Anyway, I feel better, I just don't get it. I think if I was in a band that got nominated I would have a huge dilmena on my hands. I don't think I could go to just have fun with it. It rewards stupidity and mediocraty and I would feel stupid and mediocre.

Perchance have you read the online article about hipsters?

he listed the timeframe for the '08 Grammy's... add a year onto those... Oct '07 through Sept '08

ahhh.

I think this was the first year in a while for The Flaming Lips to not win an instrumental rock Grammy.

I'm surprised they didn't promote the Christmas on Mars soundtrack.

everyone wants to kiss Radiohead's ass.
I wouldn't kiss their asses. I bet the asses wouild smell like whiney hiney. :w00t
Was that Bon Iver album eligible? Or is that next year?
Because we watch whatever we want to watch, not what people like you think we should watch. Train wrecks can be fun too.
THIS is why the Grammys are so much fun. I would have watched more of it, but weirdly my HDTV doesn't get CBS because the station in Chicago sucks, so I had to watch it in analog and I am now spoiled.

The Grammys are the same as the Oscars (except the Oscars are always a better show even when they suck), it is simply entertainment, not a show on music.

LouieB

I watched 10 minutes like I said before, because every year I need to remind myself of the absurdity. No it isn't some hipster cred thing either. Even the icons seem to do things that are contrived, and the fake "oh we love you and have listened to every one of your records" fake worshipping standing ovations are contrived. And the Grammy's are always a few years behind. IE, A Ghost Is Born wins Grammy's after the hype of YHF. And sorry if I don't know the difference between Jay Z and Kanye. I'll take your and Ryan Adams word for it that Jay Z is something special, but I have never owned a rap album except buying Warren G used and trading it back. (the rap thing is my issue so I won't act like I know what I'm talking about) However I'm going to say I doubt Jay Z is important musically as you stated. I'm sorry this is just my opinion and I was just stating that I was surprised how many people watched the whole thing. And I'm sorry I didn't answer the original question in the post.

The awards may not matter, but who passes up the opprtunity to see great bands? That doesn't make any sense to me. I love seeing U2 BEING the coolest SOBs on the planet (watch Adam Clayton). Radiohead with a marching band? Are you nuts? That's stupid fun. The whole thing is fun.

The awards may not matter, but who passes up the opprtunity to see great bands? That doesn't make any sense to me. I love seeing U2 BEING the coolest SOBs on the planet (watch Adam Clayton). Radiohead with a marching band? Are you nuts? That's stupid fun. The whole thing is fun.

Not to further fan the flame and make people think I'm some too cool for school guy, but...........

I have never liked U2 and don't find them cool

Not a huge Radiohead fan and didn't Fleetwood Mac do marching bands back in 79 and get ripped for it. I don't know, it all seems overblown. I'm more of a subtle guy. Beside being really into Pink Floyd laser light shows, I like crappy little bars with Evan Dando strumming an acoustic guitar. That doesn't make my opinion right, it is just what I'm attracted to.

Well, here's a guy I'd never heard of, but because yahoo made a big deal over it in it's Grammy coverage, I am quite aware of him, and I am quite convinced that he is scum.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood your original point. I agree.

>I like crappy little bars with Evan Dando strumming an acoustic guitar.

I haven't been able to take him seriously since he went on stage with the Smashing Pumpkins at Madison Square Garden during the Mellon Collie tour and did nothing but dance on a speaker during "1979" - no singing, no instrument, just dancing.

I haven't been able to take him seriously since he went on stage with the Smashing Pumpkins at Madison Square Garden during the Mellon Collie tour and did nothing but dance on a speaker during "1979" - no singing, no instrument, just dancing.

That is funny. Yeah, the last time I saw him on his first solo tour, he jumped into the very small crowd trying to ring the neck of some loud mouth fan. I don't think Evan is stable, but I believe he is underappreciated. I guess alot like Jay Z. :dontgetit

I like his song 'Outdoor Type':

Always had a roof above me always paid the rent

And I never set foot inside a tent

Couldn't build a fire to save my life

I lied about being the outdoor type

I never slept out underneath the stars

The closest that I came to that was one time my car

Broke down for an hour in the suburbs at night

Too scared to let you know

You knew what you were looking for

I lied until I fit the bill god bless the great

I lied about being the out door type

I never own a sleepin bag let alone a mountain bike

I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend

What if somethings on TV it's never shown again

It's just as well I'm not invited I'm afraid of heights

Never learned to swim can't grow a beard or even fight

I really like Evan Dando's music. Maybe he was too cute to take serious or maybe guys were to jealous of his looks, or maybe his out of control drug use and subsequent out of control behavior caused a Ryan Adams ripple effect. I don't know? But I always seriously thought he was underappreciated. He in my mind is power pop stud with a little bit of folk/country sprinkled in. I know, this coming from the guy who can't tell the difference between Kanye and Jay Z, doesn't like U2 and doesn't crap his drawers at the mention of radiohead. So my opinion is meaningless.

I really like Evan Dando's music. Maybe he was too cute to take serious or maybe guys were to jealous of his looks, or maybe his out of control drug use and subsequent out of control behavior caused a Ryan Adams ripple effect. I don't know? But I always seriously thought he was underappreciated. He in my mind is power pop stud with a little bit of folk/country sprinkled in. I know, this coming from the guy who can't tell the difference between Kanye and Jay Z, doesn't like U2 and doesn't crap his drawers at the mention of radiohead. So my opinion is meaningless.

Do you need to borrow a hammer, or can you drive those nails into your hands on your own?

I have never owned a rap album except buying Warren G used and trading it back. (the rap thing is my issue so I won't act like I know what I'm talking about)

For Regulators?

I think that is actually a good album.

I don't listen to much rap, but I really liked the G Funk sound around the time The Chronic, Snoop's Doggystyle, and Warren G's first record came out.

I like the Lemonheads "Car Button Cloth". And "Shame About Ray" was great.

Radiohead's performance was really cool, I thought. The Jonas Brothers showed that their not a "crappy" band, just a kind of a young stupid band. Was neat to see Stevie Wonder play Superstition.

McCartney was decent but, and not to sound like I'm ripping old people, but he just can't sell that rock n' roll anymore. It's similar to Steve Martin on SNL a couple weeks ago....he just doesn't have the same physical-ness to be funny.

The Rap Pack thing was cool in style, but I hate rap for the most part, so didn't like it.

Chris Martin has penned a couple decent tunes, but he is SO annoying. I don't know if I can even say why.

U2's new song has cool music and guitars, but the lyric cadence sounds so much like Escape's Club's "Wild Wild West", that I can't get into it.