• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why so many people on this board, who I consider extremly knowledgable about music and have really cool tastes, spent time watching that crap fest. I'll never understand why the movies get a critic based awards circuit, but music gets a freaking popularity contest with high school behavior in the worst way. I watched in all 10 total minutes last night. What I saw will haunt me today. Some dude (Kanye I think ) rapping over a Coldplay song. Radiohead sinking in their seats when the camera panned to them, and career awards being glossed over because the footage of the artists were in black and white and the idiots in the crowd had never heard of them (along with the 16 year olds that this show was geared at). Anyway, I feel better, I just don't get it. I think if I was in a band that got nominated I would have a huge dilmena on my hands. I don't think I could go to just have fun with it. It rewards stupidity and mediocraty and I would feel stupid and mediocre.

I don't get why so many people on this board, who I consider extremly knowledgable about music and have really cool tastes, spent time watching that crap fest. I'll never understand why the movies get a critic based awards circuit, but music gets a freaking popularity contest with high school behavior in the worst way. I watched in all 10 total minutes last night. What I saw will haunt me today. Some dude (Kanye I think ) rapping over a Coldplay song. Radiohead sinking in their seats when the camera panned to them, and career awards being glossed over because the footage of the artists were in black and white and the idiots in the crowd had never heard of them (along with the 16 year olds that this show was geared at). Anyway, I feel better, I just don't get it. I think if I was in a band that got nominated I would have a huge dilmena on my hands. I don't think I could go to just have fun with it. It rewards stupidity and mediocraty and I would feel stupid and mediocre.

Paul McCartney, U2, Robert Plant & Allison Kraus, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson, Al Green, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder. I can keep listing reasons to watch, if you want.

from the Grammy website:

What are the eligibility requirements?

For the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2006 and Sept. 30, 2007. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

I'm assuming they have to be released within a year from when nominations are submitted.

Also, good quote from Bono re: the Grammys:

"We called them 'The Grannys'. Snobs, we did not want to hear anything about music from anyone older than us." But, he continues, he changed his mind, not because of the awards themselves, but the telecast's inclusivity: "And then the Staple Singers came on... It was all there: anger, love, forgiveness, family, community, and the deepest sense of history... Here was the full power of American music challenging my arrogance. I watched the rest of the show with new eyes. The Grammys invited jazz, country, rock, soul and classical into the same hall. No regard for demographic studies of what would deliver ratings, no radio call-out research-- a mad amalgam of the profound and the absurd and the creeping realization that one man's Mozart is another man's Vegas."[

from the Grammy website:

I didn't think In Rainbows came out until after that - I know House of Cards wasn't a single until last year - and the official physical release was in real early 2008. I can't remember when they did the free download though.

I remember U2's album before last got several awards two years in a row - that always seemed weird to me to be eligible two different years.

A lot of time (as in U2's case), the lead-off single will be eligible for an award one year, then the whole album and the second or third single will be eligible the next year. It seems a little redundant, but I guess it makes sense.

I set up my DVR to record the show, then tuned in to see who would perform first. I watched U2, which was who I tuned in to see, then stopped the recording and turned it off.

I didn't think In Rainbows came out until after that - I know House of Cards wasn't a single until last year - and the official physical release was in real early 2008. I can't remember when they did the free download though.

I remember U2's album before last got several awards two years in a row - that always seemed weird to me to be eligible two different years.

he listed the timeframe for the '08 Grammy's... add a year onto those... Oct '07 through Sept '08

It was actually with Jay-Z, who collaborated with them on an alternate version of that track which was a B-Side. It's cool if you don't like rap or anything, but in all seriousness, Jay-Z is extremely well known AND well-respected and could definitely be considered one of the most important artists in the last 15-20 years of pop music.

I'm not going to defend the award show, because on the whole, it was pretty poor. The New Orleans thing, Coldplay, the Bo Diddley tribute, the Four Tops, Al Green with Justin Timberlake, Paul McCartney, and Radiohead were all good to great performances. However, I've always wished there was a classier, more critically based award for music because I'm always embarrassed as a musician when I compare the Grammy's to the Oscars.

It's official: Chris Brown is dumber than Michael Phelps.

Only way it could be higher profile is if he was beating a girl during his performance.

So, it matters more that he beat up his girlfriend the night before the Grammys?

:worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship

I don't get why so many people on this board, who I consider extremly knowledgable about music and have really cool tastes, spent time watching that crap fest.

Because we watch whatever we want to watch, not what people like you think we should watch. Train wrecks can be fun too.