I like to ride my bicycle!

• 1 year later...

I used to ride a Raliegh mountain bike to work, but then it got hit by a car and went through a period of neglect. For the past several years, I've been riding my wife's Mongoose mountain bike, for exercise or short errands. Now that it's bike riding weather again, I should probaly get my own bike. Hopefully something lighter and designed for street riding/exercise in a moderately hilly area, but I'd also like it to be durable because there are a few road obstacles that I like to jump (not massive air, or anything, just a foot or two off the ground.)

Any suggestions in the under $500 range? (No ten speeds or fixies, please.)

Guest Speed Racer

I used to ride a Raliegh mountain bike to work, but then it got hit by a car and went through a period of neglect. For the past several years, I've been riding my wife's Mongoose mountain bike, for exercise or short errands. Now that it's bike riding weather again, I should probaly get my own bike. Hopefully something lighter and designed for street riding/exercise in a moderately hilly area, but I'd also like it to be durable because there are a few road obstacles that I like to jump (not massive air, or anything, just a foot or two off the ground.)

Any suggestions in the under $500 range? (No ten speeds or fixies, please.)

See the above Trek FX series. The 7.2 that I had was $425. I'd ride it off a 6in. curb every day to get home without trouble. All of the big names should have something to fit your needs; just hop in to your local bike store and tell them what you want, and you should have three or four shiny bikes in front of you in no time.

I'd been looking to get back into riding a bike (you know, since I quit around junior high) for a while and now I'm officially back in the saddle. It's so much fun just to ride and tricking a bike out can be a delightful way to drop a little dough. Who else rides? For fun, for exercise, for commuting, whatever. And what do you ride? Fancy schmancy makes Lance Armstrong jealous stuff? Hipster fixie? ;)

i've been riding for close to 20 years now...though i haven't gotten out on the dirt as much as i'd like to the last couple. here's my stable:

'00 Independent Fabrications crown jewel

'02 Specialized Enduro

'00 Giant Team DH

'01 Evil Imperial

my wife also rides...she's got an Orange 222 DH bike, a Ted Wojcik trail bike, and an old Spooky Pit Boss.

See the above Trek FX series. The 7.2 that I had was $425. I'd ride it off a 6in. curb every day to get home without trouble. All of the big names should have something to fit your needs; just hop in to your local bike store and tell them what you want, and you should have three or four shiny bikes in front of you in no time.

Cool, $425 is exactly within my budget. The Trek looks perfect. Seems like the last time I wet to a bike shop I was kind of shocked by the prices, but it might've been a higher end shop, and was also pre-economic meltdown.

I saw this bike a few weeks ago and fell in love! It's an Electra Townie. I can't take the hunched over position on a mountian bike anymore. I get to pick it up tonight!!! :dancing

Congrats on the new wheels.

I saw this Electra model, a Ticino, which apparently is a series released late last year for the first time just this past weekend and am seriously considering it for kicking around town. Simple lines, a beautiful crankset single speed w/ a chain guard. Not as heavy as you'd expect a chro-moly frame to be either.

Electra_Ticino_1.jpg

got this Specialized Sirrus Elite last summer and put around 700 miles on it, looking for more this year since i'll have a full spring/summer/fall to put the miles on... love it... so light and fast! mine came with pedals, unlike the pic below ;–)

9009-52_d.jpg

my husband and I have been riding 3 times this week with the nice weather. we have Jeep mountain bikes. love them to pieces!