Well, I watched Kings of Leon on Austin City Limits on Saturday night and I've officially decided that I really like this band. (At least I like this band for what they are). Mindless, catchy rock that is of course not complete bubble gum for the masses. Anyway, I hear on this board a mix between likers and haters and I fear that KOL may be victims of the Evan Dando Effect. That is when guys decide they don't like someones music because their girlfriends think the musician is way more hotter than said guy will ever be. I'm a 31 year old balding man with decent looks, but I'm married with a son, and I've accepted that my wife likely thinks the boys of KOL are sexier than I am. (My wife has basically said as much), but I think some of us hold that against KOL, Evan Dando, too early to think of others. Anyway, take your four KOL albums you own, go to Wikipedia and look at the list of singles (3 from each album) go to your I tunes make a quick mix called The Singles and you'll realize how good these guys are at what they do (even if that isn't earth shattering)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend always comments about them boys as well. I have no complaints, as she is subjected to my lustful thoughts on any number of female musicians.

And I have always thought KOL were a great band. Great singer, solid rock and roll songs. Bit a little more off than they could chew on the third album, but this last one and the second album are good rock records.

I love the first two albums, but they lost me with the most recent two (although there are a few songs that I kinda like on Because of the Times). To me, it feels like they're doing whatever they need to do to sell out huge arenas and appeal to the lowest common denominator. I wish they had stuck with the kind of rock they were making on Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak.

I really loved KOL's EP and first two albums. Aha Shake Heartbreak was especially great. I feel like they've become too ho-hum, airbrushed, mainstream arena rock. Not bad, but safe and commercialized in a way that I always thought they could've avoided. They're still nice to look at, but I preferred their previous image.

I actually met Evan Dando a few months ago when I was at the Knitting Factory to see Nels play at that Fender Jazzmaster anniversary show. I was sitting at the bar, and he bumped my arm. He apologized and said hello, and I said hello back and realized who he was. I wanted to keep talking to him, but the conversation died out when the only thing I could think to say was "I had such a crush on you when I was fourteen and I have absolutely no idea what you've done since then." :lol

I love the first two albums, but they lost me with the most recent two (although there are a few songs that I kinda like on Because of the Times). To me, it feels like they're doing whatever they need to do to sell out huge arenas and appeal to the lowest common denominator. I wish they had stuck with the kind of rock they were making on Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak.

Maybe

And I'll agree that Because of the Times is their least consistent, but their most recent sounds to me like they have just finely tuned what they had going on. It isn't as raw as the first two, but I can't deny the quality of the songs. Not that it is on the same level and not that I'm a Metallica fan, but just because the black album sold a ton of copies and people like me who would never listen to Metalica at least paid some attention doesn't mean that the music is pedestrian or appealling to the lowest common denominator. It may be that the band just finally put it together. The whole idea of selling records or selling out arenas is so bizarre and uncontrolable and I'm not above loving something just because a 16 year old girl likes it for surface level reasons. Now if KOL is money grabbing then I would just blame that on their time spent opening for U2. Sorry for the cheap shot.

yep.

while i didn't LOVE the first 2 full lengths, i did really enjoy the first EP, but compared to the last 2, those first albums are quite a bit better.

but you're totally right, they're doing everything in their power to be an arena band and it's kinda sad.

but you're totally right, they're doing everything in their power to be an arena band and it's kinda sad.

Why is that sad? It's not like their earlier material was designed to appeal to small audiences.

Looks like the cut off is the first two albums. They were cool then and not cool since. Me? I seem to like all four albums. I tend to take them for what they are. They write decent songs that in the long run are not too different from one another. People have compared them to the strokes, I don't, I say they are Nickleback for southern rock only without the hits. Not that it is a bad thing. With Nickelback you can generally take songs from one album and put them on another album without changing the character of the album and without making the song sound out of place. I think you can do the same with KOL. After a while they will have to change or fade. For this reason I think it is intereting that people can divide KOL albums into good and or bad, they are all pretty much the same.

Why is that sad? It's not like their earlier material was designed to appeal to small audiences.

I think it's sad because I feel like back then (first couple albums), they were making the music that they wanted to make, regardless of how big or small the audiences were. As a result, I've been lucky enough to see them at a bunch of great venues, and the shows were really fun (I liked the gritty rock, I liked Caleb's gravelly voice and the barely decipherable lyrics, I liked all the long hair and beards...but I digress). For some reason, they got this huge chip on their shoulders about being big in Europe but not here, and they wanted to do something about that. So (without trying to sound like a smug dick), I guess I'm saying they sold out. :hmm

Guest Wilco Rules Me

I think their first two albums are brilliant RnR tunes. The singer kind of reminds me of a Bon Scott. Of course from what I hear the KOL singer is better looking and someone complained in another thread that their haircuts are a little too posh. That may be so, but I think these cats are great. Did not like some songs off of their latter efforts but I also really liked some of them.

Again their first two albums are super duper.

I am not afraid of them being good looking either. I am way better looking than them.

Funny think about this thread is that one of the lyrics in the second album is about this very thing.

right... but it didn't feel like that was their overall goal until the last 2 albums... probably because of the fact that they hadn't gone anywhere yet. once they got a taste of the big time opening for U2 & Pearl Jam, it seemed like they felt they had to tailor their music to the bigger crowds/rooms, which in turn made their songs much less appealing to me.

look, i've never been a huge huge KoL fan anyway, Caleb's mushmouth often turns me off (and this coming from a Pearl Jam fan :lol), but it's obvious they have a desire to be huge ala The Killers, more power to 'em, but it's not for me. i think their sound has always been fairly generic and lowest common denominator rock, but a lot of folks whose taste I admire dig 'em, so i've never slagged on them too too hard.

that said, their backstory in Nashville is kind of suspect to me.

Ok, I don't know why I'm defending KOL because in the grand scheme of music they are probably #573 on my list of favorite bands, but for what they do I really enjoy them as I stated earlier. After reading the replys, except the comparsion to Nickleback (which made me feel weird for everyone involved) I think the problem, beside the Evan Dando Effect, is that people are believing crap they read in rock magazine. Are we living in the Followils brains? Even though they have discussed the Europe vs. US thing in interviews are we sure that is what is driving their motives. I agree with earlier posts that for the most part the 4 albums are the same. A little more tidy on the last two with the boys wearing clothes to match. But in the end the music is the same. So if the first album had some big songs cool, it didn't and it didn't happen in the US till album number 4. Now that makes them sell outs? Are the Strokes sell outs because it happened on album number 1 for them. To me, it is about if the tunes move me in some way and also is this band doing someting that a thousand others are not. For me, they foot the bill on both counts. Not that I spend any time ever listening to Modern Rock Radio, I can assume KOL is not standard fare for such things. Anyway, the whole sell out thing is tired. Selling out to me is when you are just cashing it in. The bands that just say hey we are _________ and people like when we do __________ so let us do more __________. KOL have never made enough money or sold enough records to even qualify!!!!!!!! (ROLLING STONES>>>U2>>>>>DMB)

I think it's sad because I feel like back then (first couple albums), they were making the music that they wanted to make, regardless of how big or small the audiences were. As a result, I've been lucky enough to see them at a bunch of great venues, and the shows were really fun (I liked the gritty rock, I liked Caleb's gravelly voice and the barely decipherable lyrics, I liked all the long hair and beards...but I digress).

I don't know of any evidence to support the argument that KOL is playing music they don't really want to play just for the sake of popularity in the states, but if that is the case then you're right.

If they're huge in Europe, why would they change and risk losing that popularity? Or, do they revert to what they used to look and sound like when they go to Europe? That'd be a pretty funny trick.

Like you, I prefer their blue jeans, moustaches and long hair look to the hair gel and mad max jackets look they've been sporting for the last few years. At least they still have good taste in electric guitars.

Guest Wilco Rules Me
I think you're defending them so hard 'cause that ACL was great. I don't care if they try and get bigger. Those first two albums are perfect.

For sure.

I think they should just keep on keeping on.

As perfect as the first two records were, they should not go out and make the exact same record... what is the point?

I think that might be classified as selling out.

I also don't think the latter songs sound anything like the first two albums.

ACL was great. And maybe that got me fired up, but I just started thinking about how few bands are out there making quick 2:30 minute catchy ass songs that are not completely mindless and mainstream but close enougth be mindless that makes it about as rock and roll as it gets. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but there are not enough straight forward rock bands like KOL the black keys, the black crowes.

as long as My Morning Jacket (yes i realize Evil Urges was not a great record, let's pretend i'm posting this prior to that record existing :lol) exist, there's not a huge need for KoL for me i guess...

i'm not saying they sound anything alike, but MMJ fill the big classic rock niche in my music listening, and are 10x the live act KoL have ever been.

I think it's sad because I feel like back then (first couple albums), they were making the music that they wanted to make, regardless of how big or small the audiences were. As a result, I've been lucky enough to see them at a bunch of great venues, and the shows were really fun (I liked the gritty rock, I liked Caleb's gravelly voice and the barely decipherable lyrics, I liked all the long hair and beards...but I digress). For some reason, they got this huge chip on their shoulders about being big in Europe but not here, and they wanted to do something about that. So (without trying to sound like a smug dick), I guess I'm saying they sold out. :hmm

Selling out is all relative and not really somethng I ebleive in anyway. If this is what they wanted to do and where they wanted to be from the begining, then they are staying the course and staying true to what they always wanted. Like U2 they never sold out because they always wanted to be huge.

Ok, I don't know why I'm defending KOL because in the grand scheme of music they are probably #573 on my list of favorite bands, but for what they do I really enjoy them as I stated earlier. After reading the replys, except the comparsion to Nickleback (which made me feel weird for everyone involved) I think the problem, beside the Evan Dando Effect, is that people are believing crap they read in rock magazine. Are we living in the Followils brains? Even though they have discussed the Europe vs. US thing in interviews are we sure that is what is driving their motives. I agree with earlier posts that for the most part the 4 albums are the same. A little more tidy on the last two with the boys wearing clothes to match. But in the end the music is the same. So if the first album had some big songs cool, it didn't and it didn't happen in the US till album number 4. Now that makes them sell outs? Are the Strokes sell outs because it happened on album number 1 for them. To me, it is about if the tunes move me in some way and also is this band doing someting that a thousand others are not. For me, they foot the bill on both counts. Not that I spend any time ever listening to Modern Rock Radio, I can assume KOL is not standard fare for such things. Anyway, the whole sell out thing is tired. Selling out to me is when you are just cashing it in. The bands that just say hey we are _________ and people like when we do __________ so let us do more __________. KOL have never made enough money or sold enough records to even qualify!!!!!!!! (ROLLING STONES>>>U2>>>>>DMB)

I'm not comparing them to Nickleback for what they record, just that you can interchange songs from one album to the next with little effect to either song or album. KOL songs tend to be generic within their own catalog.

ACL was great. And maybe that got me fired up, but I just started thinking about how few bands are out there making quick 2:30 minute catchy ass songs that are not completely mindless and mainstream but close enougth be mindless that makes it about as rock and roll as it gets. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but there are not enough straight forward rock bands like KOL the black keys, the black crowes.

I agree 100%. There are lots of old rock acts, but little in the way of newer bands.

No, I didn't mean to have the read that I think the Black Crowed are mindless. Far from it. And as far as KOL being mindless, I guess I mean chicks and drugs mindless. As far as MMJ and KOL they to me are so far different and I consider MMJ as more indie rock experimental than straight forward. Don't apologize for evil urges (i know you kid) but that record has a groove like no other.

maybe so, but it's MMJ's worst album by ten miles :lol

and you're right, they are way more experimental on record, i guess i moreso meant live.

in my experience, most of my friends who dig on KoL a lot (esp the ones who just jumped on board the last 2-3 years) are people who mostly just listen to modern rock radio, buy 3-4 new albums a year, and their last "big" band they were into this much was probably Pearl Jam a decade+ ago.

maybe so, but it's MMJ's worst album by ten miles :lol

and you're right, they are way more experimental on record, i guess i moreso meant live.

in my experience, most of my friends who dig on KoL a lot (esp the ones who just jumped on board the last 2-3 years) are people who mostly just listen to modern rock radio, buy 3-4 new albums a year, and their last "big" band they were into this much was probably Pearl Jam a decade+ ago.

I get it. Luckily now in my life I don't listen to radio and I have no friends, but I get where you are coming from. It reminds me of college and friends of mine jumping on a bands wagon the minute they got radio play and not giving a crap until that happened. It made me dislike bands just on that principle. To this day I'm apprehensive about Radiohead's OK Computer because my roomates who were musical idiots bought that album because of the hype. Not a great example, I should have mentioned Creed or Tonic or Sister Hazel but you get my point.

Selling out is all relative and not really somethng I ebleive in anyway. If this is what they wanted to do and where they wanted to be from the begining, then they are staying the course and staying true to what they always wanted. Like U2 they never sold out because they always wanted to be huge.

Absolutely...the concept of "selling out" is pretty wishy-washy. I guess I was just trying to put into words why I've been put off by KoL recently. I don't think they're terrible (and like I said, I really love a lot of stuff they've done), I just don't like the new direction they're taking (what I perceive as a new direction).