Absolutely...the concept of "selling out" is pretty wishy-washy. I guess I was just trying to put into words why I've been put off by KoL recently. I don't think they're terrible (and like I said, I really love a lot of stuff they've done), I just don't like the new direction they're taking (what I perceive as a new direction).

I don't understand the concept of new direction as applied to KOL. Have they really changed directions? Or have your perceptions of them changed? I hear the same thing on Album #1 that I hear on Album #4. Maybe a little improved musicianship, but generally they are still traveling in the same straight line with not much variance. And this is coming from soemone who likes all four albums thus far.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the concept of new direction as applied to KOL. Have they really changed directions? Or have your perceptions of them changed? I hear the same thing on Album #1 that I hear on Album #4. Maybe a little improved musicianship, but generally they are still traveling in the same straight line with not much variance. And this is comign from soemone who lieks all four albums thus far.

This I think sums it up. Thank you John Smith. I believe it is perception. They were cool till the cool kids starting paying attention which immediately makes them uncool, but they haven't really changed. I for one will say the vocals have definetly improved, but they lost a little of the sweet groove along the way.

i don't think they sound the same now as they did on the Holy Roller Novocaine EP whatsoever, besides the vocals.

hell... the music Crawl was stolen from past touring partners the Secret Machines for one.

I guess I don't hear a whole heck of a lot of difference. Crawl is a slight stetch for them though, and if stolen and or inspired by Secret Machines, well, what out there is truely new and original? And why does that have to be the criteria or a criteria for listening to music? Were the Strokes new and original or just derivative of what preceeded them but had lain dormant for a number of years? Ditto for KOL?

I don't know who this John Smith is, the name sounds familiar. But I can say that his Yoda avatar says it all. He is a truth speaker and a man of infinite wisdom. And he is from Central Illinois and coming from there myself, I know the quality of his environment. Here is to you John Smith. :thumbup

I think the new record is a naked wannabe arena rock album, but even at that, the Nickelback comparison is just way outta line. Compare them to a stain of oozing, maggot infested feces if you must, but don't take it a step further and call them Nickelback.

I love the EP and first two records. Because of the Times is a little underrated too.

I don't know who this John Smith is, the name sounds familiar. But I can say that his Yoda avatar says it all. He is a truth speaker and a man of infinite wisdom. And he is from Central Illinois and coming from there myself, I know the quality of his environment. Here is to you John Smith. :thumbup

I'm actually from the NW burbs...Rolling Meadows, but have lived in the corn annd beans now for 12+ years. My Yoda choice is Yoda puffing a fat one. To me it means he is full of crap and gets his wisdom from a little bud. Though G*&Damn random drug testing has ruined that for me.

I think the new record is a naked wannabe arena rock album, but even at that, the Nickelback comparison is just way outta line. Compare them to a stain of oozing, maggot infested feces if you must, but don't take it a step further and call them Nickelback.

I love the EP and first two records. Because of the Times is a little underrated too.

I think you misinterpret my Nickleback comparison. I could just as easily offended someone by Using the first four or five Beatles albums. Take Springsteen for instance or Radiohead, their songs are not easily interchangable from one album to the next, while KOL that is not the case, they can easily be moved from one album to the next with little effect to the song or album. I just choose Nickleback to make my point i.e. an extreme example. I wasn't comparing the bands as they come from two completely different aural points of view, though they may have similar career aspirations.

Ok to further complicate this issue. (This being the Wilco board and all). Back when I was around you alls age I remember a band named Wilco (not comparing KOL to Wilco) pissing off people for supposedly selling out. And if you read No Depression magazine, Wilco playing rock music or using keyboards was selling out. Trust Me. You know, Jay Farrar was sticking to his roots while Wilco was running around money grabbing with these new crazy sounds. I'm just saying, bands do what they do and we place all this crap meaning on it. First of all, very few bands do not want to become known on some level. M. Ward knows he makes non mainstream music, but I'm sure he loves being known in the indie world, if you get my drift. At the end of the day it is always about having the pretty girl notice you. To sit and act like we know that KOL has this grand scheme of world domination is a little much. And if they do, hell they at least make music that I like while they are doing it. That is more than i can say for Nickelback for example used earlier.

I guess I don't hear a whole heck of a lot of difference. Crawl is a slight stetch for them though, and if stolen and or inspired by Secret Machines, well, what out there is truely new and original? And why does that have to be the criteria or a criteria for listening to music? Were the Strokes new and original or just derivative of what preceeded them but had lain dormant for a number of years? Ditto for KOL?

for the record i don't think The Strokes are that great (quite like the second record tho) :lol

I think you misinterpret my Nickleback comparison.

No, I just wanted to take a shot at possibly the worst band to happen to "rock" music in the last 10 years. Go with it.

for the record i don't think The Strokes are that great (quite like the second record tho) :lol

I'm still kinda diggin Albert Hammond Jr. Am I crazy, or is his solo stuff pretty underrated?

I think we have all agreed on one thing. Whoever European fashion pro is giving these boys tips needs to stop and we all need to send them some boot cut jeans and flannels. And who know, maybe they will make another Aha Shake in the process. :realmad :mellow

They were cool till the cool kids starting paying attention which immediately makes them uncool, but they haven't really changed.

I couldn't really care less who likes them or how many fans they've picked up. I'm usually a latecomer to bands anyway (hell, I hadn't even heard of Wilco until a month or so before A Ghost is Born came out), so I have no room to act like I'm better than newer fans.

I guess I don't hear a whole heck of a lot of difference.

I think there's a huge difference. Listen to Red Morning Light or Genius followed by Crawl or Sex on Fire. The new stuff is too slick and/or over-produced, IMO. We can agree to disagree. :cheers

And no, music doesn't have to be "new and original" for me to listen to it...I just have to like it, and I don't like the new KoL stuff. As for the Strokes, I liked the first 2 albums a lot, and thought the 3rd one sucked.

And who know, maybe they will make another Aha Shake in the process. :realmad :mellow

We can dream, can't we? ;)

I think there's a huge difference. Listen to Red Morning Light or Genius followed by Crawl or Sex on Fire. The new stuff is too slick and/or over-produced, IMO. We can agree to disagree. :cheers

And no, music doesn't have to be "new and original" for me to listen to it...I just have to like it, and I don't like the new KoL stuff. As for the Strokes, I liked the first 2 albums a lot, and thought the 3rd one sucked.

I do agree that we can have differences here. With most bands though, aren't their first albums usually done on the relative cheap which gets them less production, and a rawer more live sound while after a few albums and a little more $$ infused into their system they tend to

I think we have all agreed on one thing. Whoever European fashion pro is giving these boys tips needs to stop and we all need to send them some boot cut jeans and flannels. And who know, maybe they will make another Aha Shake in the process. :realmad :mellow

You know..the boys may have simply decided to clean up, add some actual production values to their records because they want a better level of groupie...who's the new Winona Rider?

You know..the boys may have simply decided to clean up, add some actual production values to their records because they want a better level of groupie...who's the new Winona Rider?

Mandy Moore?

Ooops, I feel bad Ryan Adams karma about to strike me down. Don't cancel thurs Cardinals show in Columbia Mo, Don't do it Ryan. I've been looking forward to this for 4 freaking months!

I'm quite fond of KOL myself...their 3rd and 4th albums included.

So many of their fans hate the newest album, and I just don't get it. Yeah, it's different, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. What's so fun about a band putting the same album out over and over....and over?

And it's slightly off-topic, but since MMJ was mentioned earlier...was anyone at the Nashville show this past summer? Pretty epic performance...War Begun with fireworks in the background was pretty unforgettable.

And it's slightly off-topic, but since MMJ was mentioned earlier...was anyone at the Nashville show this past summer? Pretty epic performance...War Begun with fireworks in the background was pretty unforgettable.

I was :) I get chills listening to that boot, every time.

• 2 months later...

Interesting, Caleb looking at Wilco as a role model for the band. In the new Rolling Stone he states:

But I look at a band like Wilco, or Ryan Adams, who can play a fucking rock song next to a country song. I think we have to get over the "cool" thing, trying to be cool and look cool. Who gives a fuck?
  • 3 months later...

Just saw them last night at Red Rocks, opening band "The Whigs". Some thoughts:

• The ratio of Female to Male concert goers was much higher than most concerts I have been to.
  • They have a massive guitar sound, real heavy and chunky, good guitar tones in general.
  • Caleb does have an amazing voice
  • They were much louder than Wilco
  • I have never been to a concert at red rocks where they did not allow you to bring in blankets or water bottles, that was a bunch of crap. Apparently it's the band's management that decides that.
  • Caleb kept saying things like "I will remember this night forever", and the usual "you are the greatest fans" kind of stuff that just rang hollow. It felt like a by the books, closely choreographed rock show with no real spontaneity
  • The Whigs suffered from poor sound for some reason but sounded good all the same. They must have said "We are the Whigs from Athens, GA about 10 times in their 20 minute set.

All in all a good time but not as enjoyable as the recent Wilco show, but then again I'm a bit biased.